Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Seems a big gap in a lot of the minor games this year with Down, Fermanagh and ourselves shipping a few beatings. Hopefully all quite young like you say.

EOC1923

Or we could take a reality check and realise we need a second tier competition

JimStynes

It's u17 for minor this year isn't it? So does it go back to u18 next year, meaning this will be the same teams again next year??

bannside

Keep the faith. Expect to see natural improvement in next few years, maybe no titles, but no cricket scores either.  Gérard Mc Nulty and a few others got a good rhythm going with 15's and 14's and showing well against peers in Ulster. But it's what happens next few years that lies the challenge.

Got the facilities, lights, gym, financial backing where required, for first time ever it's in OUR hands.

Paddy Kelly calling a meeting in Dunsilly on Monday night (7.30) for those interested in pushing on to next level. Everyone with a positive contribution is welcome, not just pointing out where the faultlines are, but solutions and action plans where hard work lies.

bannside

Good question JS. But if any of the heroes on here want to present themselves on Monday with something worthwhile to say I'm sure they won't be turned away.

bannside

That comment looks harsh, most on here mean really well. Just a few dissidents that will always find a way of seeing glass half empty.

FrMaginn

Difficult for players/coaches/fans to retain hope when you score 3 points in 120minutes of football, regardless how strong the opposition are

Walter Cronc

In fairness it's a serious Derry side men. Them and Tyrone look to be a good bit ahead of the rest. With Donegal and maybe Monaghan challenging.

marty34

Quote from: JimStynes on May 13, 2023, 03:30:36 PM
It's u17 for minor this year isn't it? So does it go back to u18 next year, meaning this will be the same teams again next year??

Is it still U20 at county level next in 2024 or is it U19?

bannside

What's the alternate Fr Maginn. There's no easy fix except a lot of very hard work ...frustrating as that may seem. We've all been there!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: marty34 on May 13, 2023, 08:52:56 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 13, 2023, 03:30:36 PM

Is it still U20 at county level next in 2024 or is it U19?

If things are going back to normal, i.e even numbers from u12 to u18, then i assume its U21 again
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

FrMaginn

Quote from: bannside on May 13, 2023, 09:04:59 PM
What's the alternate Fr Maginn. There's no easy fix except a lot of very hard work ...frustrating as that may seem. We've all been there!
The issue imo is quality of coaching within clubs at underage.

I might sound harsh, but too many underage coaches don't know what they're doing or teaching even if their heart is in the right place and I get they're doing their best because others who are better suited don't want to get involved.

By secondary school I think its too late as it's more about refinement and even then the quality of coaching is questionable in alot of schools.

We've never been that far away, ever, even when these counties were winning all irelands consistently.  I don't care how strong Tyrone and Derry are, it's a joke to only score 3 points in 2 games.  Those scorelines were only that bad because of attitude and giving up, not quality

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on May 13, 2023, 03:33:58 PM
Keep the faith. Expect to see natural improvement in next few years, maybe no titles, but no cricket scores either.  Gérard Mc Nulty and a few others got a good rhythm going with 15's and 14's and showing well against peers in Ulster. But it's what happens next few years that lies the challenge.

Got the facilities, lights, gym, financial backing where required, for first time ever it's in OUR hands.

Paddy Kelly calling a meeting in Dunsilly on Monday night (7.30) for those interested in pushing on to next level. Everyone with a positive contribution is welcome, not just pointing out where the faultlines are, but solutions and action plans where hard work lies.
GMcN will have a good view of everything from the stand for the next 6 months, probably can see more up there anyway to be fair

geezer

Alot of new faces in the panel. Deserved call up for Oisin Doherty.

Saffsof82

Down with drew from the 1/4 of UMFC, conceded game, never seen that happen before.