Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realisticsaff

Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2023, 12:17:30 PM
100% it's a cut throat business and in interests of consistency I was first to doubt EMG and called ot out here. Full panel to choose from, two very high profile assistants in SK and SON. But it wasn't working, defensively open house, upfront nothing joining up, rumours management and assistants not communicating, and dressing room all over the place. Wasn't long till results reflected that.

Yes Saturday was poor, I could list a few things that might have made it better, but not judging it as we rarely show up in Ulstet championship, for any manager.

You have knife out way too early though. Dermot Adam Jamie a fit Ryan, and one or two of the young guns forcing  their way in with in house performance would make for interesting choices, and on that we could make a more informed judgement call on our wellbeing.

I know we aren't the best side in the country but that felt like a challenge game on Saturday. We are far far to easy to play against pure and simple

NatSoSaff

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 11, 2023, 01:29:00 PM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 11, 2023, 01:25:04 PM
So what lines up as playing the players who are up to the standard RS? No point harking on about lack of Cargin or Creggan players lad. The facts are that Ricky Johnston, Kevin O'Boyle, Crozier, Laverty, the McCanns etc are all still the main men in their clubs. None of them are coming out of inter county retirement, nor should they. Outside of those players, who from Creggan/Cargin is ready to start in the current Antrim side and where? At least make an effort to state your best team selection. Live up to your name and make it 'realistic'.

Not doing this NSS everyone was saying the bench was better than the starting team that's a starting point.

Wow. Really? The bench was Luke Mullholland, B McCormick, D Lynch, S O'Neill, R. Boyle, O Lenehan, Dowling, McEnhill, P Finnegan. Some decent players there but better than the 15 listed? I don't think so. Then there was Loughran and Eastwood who I do think should have started ahead of mclarnon and Creggan McCann.

Make no mistake, i tip my hat to all of the lads above for their commitment to the cause this year. There's not a lot of experienced campaigners at this level there don't forget. So the experience this year will be a big building block for a lot of them.

realisticsaff

Why is the club championship draw during a full round of matches?

Spike

Yes Saturday was poor, I could list a few things that might have made it better, but not judging it as we rarely show up in Ulster championship, for any manager.

I think this is part of the problem BS, we are giving Antrim players an excuse by saying we will look at them properly in a 2nd rate competition.     We all have our opinions on the team quality and have we progressed at all but that Antrim team looked like they believed they shouldn't have been on the same pitch as Armagh. They were already beaten before they started and had the Tailteann Cup in their heads.  For this to be the most physically big Antrim team in years, they were like lambs out there.  Wasn't much blood and thunder about them.  We can only be judged on the Ulster Championship, and IMO the Tailteann is an unwelcome excuse that has became available. 

The knives aren't out for Andy, people are naturally disappointed in that showing on Saturday, and yes it was that bad but seeing as we are now stuck in the Tailteann, can we look at bringing forward the young guns and play a team with all our potential talents included? 

I wont be judging Andy on the Tailteann just as I wouldn't be judging Creggan on how they do in the O'Cahon Cup.  He has nothing to lose in my eyes so he is as well getting those hopefuls onto a pitch and seeing how they fare out.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Spike on April 11, 2023, 02:06:52 PM

Yes Saturday was poor, I could list a few things that might have made it better, but not judging it as we rarely show up in Ulster championship, for any manager.

I think this is part of the problem BS, we are giving Antrim players an excuse by saying we will look at them properly in a 2nd rate competition.     We all have our opinions on the team quality and have we progressed at all but that Antrim team looked like they believed they shouldn't have been on the same pitch as Armagh. They were already beaten before they started and had the Tailteann Cup in their heads.  For this to be the most physically big Antrim team in years, they were like lambs out there.  Wasn't much blood and thunder about them.  We can only be judged on the Ulster Championship, and IMO the Tailteann is an unwelcome excuse that has became available. 

The knives aren't out for Andy, people are naturally disappointed in that showing on Saturday, and yes it was that bad but seeing as we are now stuck in the Tailteann, can we look at bringing forward the young guns and play a team with all our potential talents included? 

I wont be judging Andy on the Tailteann just as I wouldn't be judging Creggan on how they do in the O'Cahon Cup.  He has nothing to lose in my eyes so he is as well getting those hopefuls onto a pitch and seeing how they fare out.

Right, again... what does this team look like? What team would you field Spike?

bannside

There's absolutely no doubt Saturday was a tame performance Spike, and not a glove laid in anger. Played like a friendly and that aspect was very disappointing.

But saying a national competition with 16 counties in it, with finals played at Croke Park in a competition that the GAA is working to restore some necessary prestige to, is comparable to a single county regional competition played in front of a hundred people is plain nonsense imo.

Let's give the Tailteean Cup a rattle, and expect us to Ultra competitive in it, and if we are not then we can all justifiably call it for what it is.

Spike

I see your point BS but not one person in Antrim will be in uproar at Tailteann Cup failure. The same as not one person in Creggan will shed a tear at not winning the O'Cahon Cup.   

Of course lets give it a go now that we are in it.

Spike

Right, again... what does this team look like? What team would you field Spike?
[/quote]

To avoid getting personal, i would call up the full Creggan, Cargin, Aghagallon, Portglenone, St Johns and Lamh Dhearg squads to Corrigan and have them stand around the perimeter of the pitch.

I would then leave 15 jerseys in the centre of the pitch. 

On the whistle I would blow for the Battle Royale and let it commence. I would then go and stand at the bar in the St Johns Clubhouse and order a pint. The men coming back to the bar with a jersey to me start in the Tailteann Cup.

Thats how high a stock I take from Antrim's performance in it. 

NatSoSaff

"  can we look at bringing forward the young guns and play a team with all our potential talents included? "

So who are the young guns, the potential talents, you want to see fielded?

The throw away statements on here are a joke. Quick to point out the faults and nothing offered in terms of a fix. Same old same old eh.   :-X ::)

bannside

Management have a month now to see who's doing what on the training ground and in club games. I'm sure Andy is first to know a shake up is needed, he will have been disappointed himself with the effort on Saturday past.

If I was AME I would make it clear that only those 100% up for Tailtean Cup and next years NFL squad should commit to a month of hard training. Bring in half a dozen newbies and a squad of 40, and see who wants it the most, in the training and in the in house matches. Reputations should count for diddly squat, so too should be what club you come from, or even what age you are. Should Marc Jordan at almost 30 stand aside because a good 19/20 year old has suddenly appeared?  No, if the younger ones are good enough for now then let them show it.

If any of the unavailables previously documented want to put their hand up for consideration then I can't see Andy chasing any of them, but they would need to be going there in good shape, ready to hit the ground.

It's only one opinion NSS but at the end of that I'd expect CJ, RMQ, SON and possibly CD to be well in the mix.Also Dermot Adam  & Jamie would expect yo be in contention - but I'd make it the hardest training yet and see who's standing out and wants it the most. Anybody dosent fancy it, close the door on the way out.

Spike

Sure it looks like you wouldn't change much anyway.  Obviously happy with Saturdays team.  If you're happy with that then thats fine, entitled to your opinion of course. 

If you scroll back a few pages you will find find much hearty positivity and names from the u20 team that played against Donegal.  Pop back a page to your own post and you will find some benchwarmers that had little input into Saturday's dross.  For that little sprinkle of grey haired experience you could again refer to your own post about older players.

Posters got their knuckles wrapped for being personal about the players so there are some suggestions, many by your own hand.  Some can be very negative on here but as a beacon of upbeat positivity I would say we are in the very lucky position of being a county able to field a full team of alternative players that would improve on Saturdays showing.

Spike

Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2023, 04:11:23 PM
Management have a month now to see who's doing what on the training ground and in club games. I'm sure Andy is first to know a shake up is needed, he will have been disappointed himself with the effort on Saturday past.

If I was AME I would make it clear that only those 100% up for Tailtean Cup and next years NFL squad should commit to a month of hard training. Bring in half a dozen newbies and a squad of 40, and see who wants it the most, in the training and in the in house matches. Reputations should count for diddly squat, so too should be what club you come from, or even what age you are. Should Marc Jordan at almost 30 stand aside because a good 19/20 year old has suddenly appeared?  No, if the younger ones are good enough for now then let them show it.

If any of the unavailables previously documented want to put their hand up for consideration then I can't see Andy chasing any of them, but they would need to be going there in good shape, ready to hit the ground.

It's only one opinion NSS but at the end of that I'd expect CJ, RMQ, SON and possibly CD to be well in the mix.Also Dermot Adam  & Jamie would expect yo be in contention - but I'd make it the hardest training yet and see who's standing out and wants it the most. Anybody dosent fancy it, close the door on the way out.

That sounds like a tweak to my earlier recommendation about Corrigan BS  :D

NatSoSaff

You're turning it back on me, I'm just asking posters to state alternatives if they don't agree with a selection or system, but rarely does anyone post such. I try to.  I have been critical too, and I'm not happy that we're not competitive in Ulster yet. I was fuming at the Westmeath shambles, but can take it for what it was. A freak performance and result.

NatSoSaff

With reference to the older players, I'd love if those names wanted to come back to the fold, but they should have to and owe the County nothing.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2023, 04:11:23 PM

Can't argue with that. Spike has reminded me, what is the state of play with
Michael and Tomas McCann? Are they returning to the panel when
recovered or are they now retired?