Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 10, 2023, 07:28:22 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 10, 2023, 05:52:54 PM
Brendan Crossan reckons it was a "gutsy" display  :o

I would expect nothing less from Brendan Crossan lick arse get arse just ask MR I wonder what Division 1 game he's got on Wednesday night

What has MR2 ever done to you? Did he book or send you off when you were kicking Div1?

Milltown Row2

I'd say he's not played senior never mind div 1

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

realisticsaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2023, 07:44:55 PM
I'd say he's not played senior never mind div 1

Cushendall Loughgiel yesterday
Cargin game Wednesday night
Loughgiel again on Sunday

Tumelty similar too..use 2 boys must have sore lips and must take an arse cheek each too kiss. I'm genuinely intrigued when was the last time one of the belfast boys club did a game outside Division 1 or is the egos that big you cant be seen refereeing a Division 3 game for example. How does a young referee get up the ladder to get eventually get division 1 games?

Milltown Row2

Under 15b league on Thursday night last but hey you ain't smart enough to check before talking shite!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

realisticsaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2023, 09:31:56 PM
Under 15b league on Thursday night last but hey you ain't smart enough to check before talking shite!

How does a young aspiring referee like myself become a Division 1 referee?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 10, 2023, 09:40:13 PM

Do the course first

realisticsaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2023, 09:41:16 PM

Do the course first

I've done it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 10, 2023, 09:42:02 PM

Do the course first

I've done it

I only got kids games when I started 14 years ago.. it takes time

geezer

Quote from: Sportacus on April 10, 2023, 01:30:46 PM
Quote from: realisticsaff on April 10, 2023, 09:10:23 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on April 09, 2023, 02:41:34 PM
He's in the job 10 months.

Ok and? Mickey Harte almost got 3 promotions in a row since 2021, Rory Gallagher has 2 promotions and an Ulster title in 3 years, Mcconvile just in the door at Wicklow promotion right away and an 80% win ratio and Davy Burke just in the door at Roscommon finished 3rd in division 1 which is incredible and went to the pre all Ireland favourites backyard yesterday and won. All outside managers and most from a different province aswell maybe just maybe Andy is not very good and it was a dreadful appointment ever thought of that?
Mickey Harte - no comparison.  He's one of the most successful managers in history.  Very few of them around.  Although I'm not a fan of his system.
Rory Gallagher - he inherited a serious player base and underage structure and has made the most of it. Puke football though.
Davy Burke - Has done amazing but Roscommon are a seriously proud county and turn up in the championship every year.  Our players have lost that tradition completely.
Oisin - could turn out to be a great manager.  Time will tell.  Got Wicklow playing attacking football and it's been good enough for division 4.  Fair play.

So who knows with McEntee, he's from solid GAA pedigree but has his work cut out with Antrim.  He's only scratched the surface.  Too early to rubbish him, but we'd all like to see changes and a good run in the TC.

Derry play puke football? Really? They were in the doldrums before gallagher took over. They were a county with all the potential in the world with no direction. IMO, gallagher has done a fantastic job. Their style of play suits the players they have. Tough team,  physical run game. Wouldnt by no means call it puke football given the scores they put up. They are a well oiled machine with some top class footballers that would grace any team in ireland.

geezer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2023, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: realisticsaff on April 10, 2023, 09:42:02 PM

Do the course first

I've done it

I only got kids games when I started 14 years ago.. it takes time

Get on the podcast MR2.  Give the people what they want. 🍿

bannside

The negativity recently introduced here is truly shocking, a wee clique with nothing good to say about anything and trying hard to make a living out of running down volunteers and amateur sportsmen. I think the vast majority here share that view and agree its cheap nasty and offensive.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it needs to be balanced to have any credibility. The squads Enda and Andy inherited were like night and day. Enda had 19 in from Creggan and Cargin at one stage, and somehow its all Andys fault three quarters of them didn't find a way back, mostly either voluntarily or because of injury. It's not like Andy hunted them down the road, but some doing their best to use this as a stick to beat him.

EOC, you're right. There are half a dozen gooduns coming through that will offer some quality alternatives, Sean O Callaghan (under 20 captain picked up injury) and Calum Higgins can be added to that list, but they are mostly a year orctwo early with agreed exception of Sean O Neill and Ryan McQuillan.

I went to the game with little expectation as that's not the grade we are in. Would you put a handicapped chaser into the Gold Cup at level weights? No you wouldn't. But I'd expect to be competitive in Div 3 (and we were with a couple of exceptions) and in the Tailteean Cup. But if I see a Div 4 team toying with us at 11 points up at half time, and a dressing room that's lost its way, it will be called out for what it is.

That was last year. Andy has done OK with a depleted squad, but needs to be getting a response out if what he has. Squad back out this weekend for in house games so that work is now commencing.

bannside

Balanced critique is welcomed by most on here, likewise cheap nasty shots need to be called out for what they are. RS, you've done a refereeing course, that's genuinely good. Work your way through the ranks and get a bit of experience and of you're good at the job the bigger gigs will follow. We all need refs or we can pack it all in!

bannside

100% it's a cut throat business and in interests of consistency I was first to doubt EMG and called ot out here. Full panel to choose from, two very high profile assistants in SK and SON. But it wasn't working, defensively open house, upfront nothing joining up, rumours management and assistants not communicating, and dressing room all over the place. Wasn't long till results reflected that.

Yes Saturday was poor, I could list a few things that might have made it better, but not judging it as we rarely show up in Ulstet championship, for any manager.

You have knife out way too early though. Dermot Adam Jamie a fit Ryan, and one or two of the young guns forcing  their way in with in house performance would make for interesting choices, and on that we could make a more informed judgement call on our wellbeing.

NatSoSaff

So what lines up as playing the players who are up to the standard RS? No point harking on about lack of Cargin or Creggan players lad. The facts are that Ricky Johnston, Kevin O'Boyle, Crozier, Laverty, the McCanns etc are all still the main men in their clubs. None of them are coming out of inter county retirement, nor should they. Outside of those players, who from Creggan/Cargin is ready to start in the current Antrim side and where? At least make an effort to state your best team selection. Live up to your name and make it 'realistic'.

realisticsaff

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 11, 2023, 01:25:04 PM
So what lines up as playing the players who are up to the standard RS? No point harking on about lack of Cargin or Creggan players lad. The facts are that Ricky Johnston, Kevin O'Boyle, Crozier, Laverty, the McCanns etc are all still the main men in their clubs. None of them are coming out of inter county retirement, nor should they. Outside of those players, who from Creggan/Cargin is ready to start in the current Antrim side and where? At least make an effort to state your best team selection. Live up to your name and make it 'realistic'.

Not doing this NSS everyone was saying the bench was better than the starting team that's a starting point.