Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realisticsaff

Quote from: Sportacus on April 09, 2023, 01:01:41 PM
No doubt about it there's half a dozen good players not on the pitch, but that's nothing new for Antrim.  That's what happens when you are bottom of the pile and don't even have a stadium.
It's exacerbated by the fact McEntee is completely new to the scene so inevitably couldn't have seen the full picture of who is out there. 
The best way forward for me is that he gives the Tailteann his best shot and takes in every game on the senior championship to see who he's missed.
The big upside was that he's a complete clean slate with no axe to grind with anyone, or favours with any aul mates. Stick with it.  If he's only in it for the dollars then that will become evident soon enough, but right now is too soon in my honest opinion. He didn't exactly inherit an amazing set up with great structures and an underage pipeline to die for.

Enda had me believing we were going to get promoted to division 2 in the middle of the league last year fast forward 13 months and this guy has me believing we would lose to the majority of division 4 sides in the Tailteann cup

Sportacus

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 09, 2023, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on April 09, 2023, 01:01:41 PM
No doubt about it there's half a dozen good players not on the pitch, but that's nothing new for Antrim.  That's what happens when you are bottom of the pile and don't even have a stadium.
It's exacerbated by the fact McEntee is completely new to the scene so inevitably couldn't have seen the full picture of who is out there. 
The best way forward for me is that he gives the Tailteann his best shot and takes in every game on the senior championship to see who he's missed.
The big upside was that he's a complete clean slate with no axe to grind with anyone, or favours with any aul mates. Stick with it.  If he's only in it for the dollars then that will become evident soon enough, but right now is too soon in my honest opinion. He didn't exactly inherit an amazing set up with great structures and an underage pipeline to die for.

Enda had me believing we were going to get promoted to division 2 in the middle of the league last year fast forward 13 months and this guy has me believing we would lose to the majority of division 4 sides in the Tailteann cup
I'm simply arguing it's too soon to condemn him. Not saying you won't be proved right, but next year is a fairer timescale to judge.

ck

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 09, 2023, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 09, 2023, 09:54:14 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on April 09, 2023, 09:47:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 09, 2023, 08:59:00 AM
So you're not going to say who should be playing that isn't there?

Well, young player of the year 2022 Sean O' Neill has been superb for Cargin all year, outstanding wing back is, in my bubble opinion worth a place.....

Not doubting that CB, that wasn't the question though
You asked who should be playing that wasn't, Sean ONeill is one for definite. Just hope his confidence hasn't been knocked too much by his treatment.  Don't want to be too personal but truthfully Jack Dowling and McLarnon from St Paul's would be reserve players in Cargin, Creggan, Portglenone and Aghagallon.

Hard to argue with that. McEntee wanted big men, even if they were sub standard. Armagh waltzed straight down the heart of Antrims defence yesterday and was it any wonder when there was rarely a centre half back in place. Not starting Eastwood was criminal I thought, made no sense either. So many things were puzzling.

ck

McEntee watched all of last years Antrim Championship and has been on the pitch with most of the players since July! There's no excuses for selecting the wrong players.

Sportacus

He's in the job 10 months.

saffman

Might put my name in the hat for interview county management.

Go round the gyms and get guys 6ft + 90kg + regardless of skill

Apparently that's the way forward ....

Heard this during pre-season and thought surely not, then you see the team selection yesterday and just wow, shocked at how serious he was

bannside

Seriously? McCabe Healy McAuley, McCormack, Mc Bride all 6 foot? Or Adam or Eastwood or Dommo.  Did you not think about your post before typing that Saffman?

Truth is we were disappointing yesterday. Outclassed almost everywhere but the bookies had it spot on at minus 9 so no real surprise. The Tailteean Cup is our grade, let's hope to get a good run at it.

And to say Ryan Murray isn't county standard is well off in my book, he's been an excellent servant and definitely still one of the best forwards in the county.

realisticsaff

Quote from: bannside on April 09, 2023, 07:01:58 PM

Truth is we were disappointing yesterday.

Change the word yesterday to all year and you are spot on

saffman

That's what mcentee said in pre season and very much the reason the teams top scorer is regularly on the bench

Why else are sub standard players starting or on the panel when in reality some of them would struggle to make a top 4 division 1 team

realisticsaff

Quote from: Sportacus on April 09, 2023, 02:41:34 PM
He's in the job 10 months.

Ok and? Mickey Harte almost got 3 promotions in a row since 2021, Rory Gallagher has 2 promotions and an Ulster title in 3 years, Mcconvile just in the door at Wicklow promotion right away and an 80% win ratio and Davy Burke just in the door at Roscommon finished 3rd in division 1 which is incredible and went to the pre all Ireland favourites backyard yesterday and won. All outside managers and most from a different province aswell maybe just maybe Andy is not very good and it was a dreadful appointment ever thought of that?

NatSoSaff

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 09, 2023, 07:29:25 PM

Genuinely realisticsaff fair play for promoting Antrim club football on the podcast. I think it's great. But to admit you haven't went to any of the county games this year on one hand, then batter performances on the other... well it doesn't add up does it? Outside of the Westmeath and Longford game which was a dead rubber, performances were encouraging, particularly against 3 of the best teams in the league. But sure push your own agenda.

No dressing up Saturday. Poor display. Those two line ups are on completely different levels of quality and that's the reality. Tailteann cup will be better, and so will next years league campaign. Give things a chance and get behind it.

country bumpkin

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 10, 2023, 09:12:17 AM

Genuinely realisticsaff fair play for promoting Antrim club football on the podcast. I think it's great. But to admit you haven't went to any of the county games this year on one hand, then batter performances on the other... well it doesn't add up does it? Outside of the Westmeath and Longford game which was a dead rubber, performances were encouraging, particularly against 3 of the best teams in the league. But sure push your own agenda.

No dressing up Saturday. Poor display. Those two line ups are on completely different levels of quality and that's the reality. Tailteann cup will be better, and so will next years league campaign. Give things a chance and get behind it.

Yep, heard Ronan Devlin had a meeting with our boys suggesting targeting the O' Cahan Cup was the plan this year...

realisticsaff

No Agenda.

McKenna cup poor
League poor
Saturday poor

Facts

NatSoSaff

Where you at the games or not to comment on performances?

NatSoSaff

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 10, 2023, 09:32:11 AM

Yep, heard Ronan Devlin had a meeting with our boys suggesting targeting the O' Cahan Cup was the plan this year...

So CB you're comparing the number 1 antrim club team to the 20 somethingth ranked county team in the country. Great argument