Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Quote from: JimStynes on April 06, 2023, 04:22:35 PM
Quote from: Caesar on April 06, 2023, 03:17:10 PM
The outright odds on Boylesport before the draw has even been made are comical.

In my book Cargin and Creggan remain favourites with Aghagallon and Portglenone close behind.

Will be interesting to see if the new look St Brigids side can cause a bit of disruption come Championship time.

They've about 9 county standard players to come into their team if you include those 5 Downeys.
Imagine playing for your club from U8 and then watching a car load of lads sail in and take your jersey for the championship because some of  the people in their club can't be grown ups.  Just can't get my head around that.

Saul goodman

Quote from: Sportacus on April 06, 2023, 05:18:29 PM

In my book Cargin and Creggan remain favourites with Aghagallon and Portglenone close behind.

Will be interesting to see if the new look St Brigids side can cause a bit of disruption come Championship time.

They've about 9 county standard players to come into their team if you include those 5 Downeys.
Imagine playing for your club from U8 and then watching a car load of lads sail in and take your jersey for the championship because some of  the people in their club can't be grown ups.  Just can't get my head around that.

they may need to parachute these Downey lads in ASAP they solidified their place in the basement of division 1 with another loss to aghagallon- think they got 4 points from play in that game poor showing

realisticsaff

Quote from: Sportacus on April 06, 2023, 05:18:29 PM

Literally happens at every Belfast club

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on April 06, 2023, 05:02:31 PM
Indeed EOC. As anticipated there wasn't a huge gap between a cluster of teams last year, with draws and last minute scores separating the sides on occasions. Cargin were the team that found the way to claim McNamee once again, and even their most fervent supporters got their aspirations taken right to the wire a few times before seeing off the challenge. Obvious Cargin still set the standard but I forsee another clinking championship later this year.
Was only winding BS, I agree it's wide open for the top 4 or 5 teams, the draw will dictate alot if it ever takes place 🤣

BrendanAntrim

Getting very close to Ulster Championship, hopefully there is a big Antrim support there on Saturday, for sure there will be a massive home crowd. The squad and management deserve our support, I think it can be a competitive game, hard to know what way Armagh will approach it. They seem to have retreated from their attacking style of last year but they may think they can open us up. Could be entertaining!

Saul goodman

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on April 06, 2023, 10:18:45 PM
Getting very close to Ulster Championship, hopefully there is a big Antrim support there on Saturday, for sure there will be a massive home crowd. The squad and management deserve our support, I think it can be a competitive game, hard to know what way Armagh will approach it. They seem to have retreated from their attacking style of last year but they may think they can open us up. Could be entertaining!

Armagh team has been named - prob will be many changes before throw in
No rian o Neil / jarly of / murnin  for them

Saffsof82

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 06, 2023, 08:34:10 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 06, 2023, 05:02:31 PM
Indeed EOC. As anticipated there wasn't a huge gap between a cluster of teams last year, with draws and last minute scores separating the sides on occasions. Cargin were the team that found the way to claim McNamee once again, and even their most fervent supporters got their aspirations taken right to the wire a few times before seeing off the challenge. Obvious Cargin still set the standard but I forsee another clinking championship later this year.
Was only winding BS, I agree it's wide open for the top 4 or 5 teams, the draw will dictate alot if it ever takes place 🤣

Draw this Wednesday night

ck

Antrim team named. First thing that struck me is how strong the bench is. Probably stronger than the starting team?

shawshank

First thing that struck me was not a Cargin player is starting. A team who has taken 6 of the last 8 championships and put Glen to the pin of their collar a few months ago.

The 2nd thing that struck me was,  Casements have no starters either for a team who have been a top 4 team the past two seasons, none on the bench either.

shawshank

Quote from: bannside on February 19, 2023, 11:15:29 AM
Tyrone under 20s are different gravy, they are a shoe in for Ulster and quite likely back 2 back All Irelands, so to remain reasonably competitive in Healy Park yesterday for long periods was an achievement of sorts. You can see three or four talents in the Antrim squad that will progress to senior level in the next few years, that's definitely encouraging and fair play to Niall Jackman, his backroom team and county games development officer Paddy Kelly for delivering a programme that is properly facilitating that.

:o :o

realisticsaff

Of all them clubs them boys are playing for, how many of them the starting 15 have got to a championship semi final in the last 4/5 years?

realisticsaff

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 07, 2023, 12:49:36 PM
Of all them clubs them boys are playing for, how many of them the starting 15 have got to an antrim championship semi final in the last 4/5 years?

Saffsof82

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 07, 2023, 12:50:13 PM
Of all them clubs them boys are playing for, how many of them the starting 15 have got to an antrim championship semi final in the last 4/5 years?

And what?  One of the best players in an Antrim shirt in recent memory was Kevin Brady, no senior championship medals on his side board!

country bumpkin

Quote from: shawshank on April 07, 2023, 12:43:45 PM
First thing that struck me was not a Cargin player is starting. A team who has taken 6 of the last 8 championships and put Glen to the pin of their collar a few months ago.

The 2nd thing that struck me was,  Casements have no starters either for a team who have been a top 4 team the past two seasons, none on the bench either.

Is it possible that 'Andy' only rates one individual  in the PG1 squad worthy of a jersey.....?

Or could it be PG1 are heading on another route......?

realisticsaff

Quote from: Saffsof82 on April 07, 2023, 01:56:10 PM
Quote from: realisticsaff on April 07, 2023, 12:50:13 PM

And what?  One of the best players in an Antrim shirt in recent memory was Kevin Brady, no senior championship medals on his side board!

Difference is Brady was surrounded by the best players in the county. Players from division 2 sides= 2 Cargin, Portglenone, Aghagallon and Creggan= 3 surely the best team have the best players or is that not a thing?