Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 28, 2022, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: antrimman667 on May 28, 2022, 02:37:08 PM
McGinley has to go
I suppose if you were looking logically at it, you could arrive at that suggestion. I imagine if someone else in Antrim had have been over a team that served up such dung in a championship then the calls for his departure would have been from every corner.
Indeed, you may even say that someone so inexperienced should never have been given the task.

Logic, however, is not to be expected from the Duneane massive and he'll be backed and backed again.

Aye not sure WTF duneane has got to do with McGinley
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Sportacus

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on May 28, 2022, 03:11:20 PM
Shooting is just dire. What happened to this team from Louth match onwards? They look bereft of confidence, shape, system. Shivers is doing very well.
I don't think anything happened to the team other than reality kicked in once we faced a couple of decent teams.  We are a Junior Championship team and it's a pity the GAA didn't create junior, intermediate and senior for us to find our level.  How could we be anything else at Senior county grade when our underage teams fizzle out year after year. 

EOC1923

McGinley has to go
I suppose if you were looking logically at it, you could arrive at that suggestion. I imagine if someone else in Antrim had have been over a team that served up such dung in a championship then the calls for his departure would have been from every corner.
Indeed, you may even say that someone so inexperienced should never have been given the task.

Logic, however, is not to be expected from the Duneane massive and he'll be backed and backed again.
Entitled to your opinion, if that's E McG's last hurrah not even the biggest begrudgers can deny he left Antrim footballers in a higher place than he found them, that's a fact.
Very open at the back today, Pat played well, some nice points. Overall disappointing end to the season.

EOC1923

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 28, 2022, 05:14:15 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 28, 2022, 04:42:42 PM
McGinley has to go

Entitled to your opinion, if that's E McG's last hurrah not even the biggest begrudgers can deny he left Antrim footballers in a higher place than he found them, that's a fact.
Very open at the back today, Pat played well, some nice points. Overall disappointing end to the season.
Fair point.
Although, off the back of 2 tankings from Division 4 teams, it's hard to argue that we are now a better team than when he took over.
Better organised? Further down the road on conditioning? Improved strategy?

How many things have improved on his watch? Indeed, have some things gone backwards?
The division we are in being the main one

EOC1923

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 28, 2022, 05:14:53 PM
McGinley has to go

Fair point.
Although, off the back of 2 tankings from Division 4 teams, it's hard to argue that we are now a better team than when he took over.

How many things have improved on his watch? Indeed, have some things gone backwards?
I don't know much info but iv a feeling that will be his last game, Bannside who is your proposal to take us forward.

bannside

I would expect management to do the right thing, and when, or if this happens we should be free to have a discussion about next steps. Until then I think we should maintain some dignity and allow Enda and Co space to think things through.

They will be hurting more than anyone, and no one here should take any pleasure in seeing the recent demise of what was once looking promising. Let's see how the next few days pan out.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 28, 2022, 05:23:26 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 28, 2022, 05:15:57 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 28, 2022, 05:14:53 PM
McGinley has to go

Fair point.

I don't know much info but iv a feeling that will be his last game, Bannside who is your proposal to take us forward.
Who is over Swatragh at the minute?

D
McGinley has to go

D I E.....May well have been 'somebody else's who chipped in with the 'Duneane massive' comment....

Dare to clarify....

But to those who have been poking the present management  in the eye for a time just who are those brave souls who are lining up looking for the Antrim job if it does become vacant...?

bannside

When appropriate there is plenty of time to have that discussion. And we won't be managerless, let's put it that way.

paddyjohn

Will we see you don the bib BS?

bannside

That boat has long sailed PJ! Today a sad day though, Antrims reputation as the country's most spectacular embarrassment in senior football was re-established after a few months of delusion. No one taking any satisfaction in this whatsoever. Pat Spillane will have his usual Sunday Game rant one more time, if he could even be arsed this time . Of course this isn't all Enda Mc Ginleys fault. The fault lines are evidenced long before it gets to that level.

ck

Quote from: bannside on May 28, 2022, 07:14:36 PM
When appropriate there is plenty of time to have that discussion. And we won't be managerless, let's put it that way.

I want to be fair to McGinley as he deserves at least that but I would question if anything has advanced in his two years. Antrim took a risk in appointing a young man with little coaching experience who clearly was learning on the job.

I agree with BS in that the problems are much more deep rooted than the performance levels of the senior side but if you look at senior results in isolation then there has been little or no progress. Admittedly I only saw two games thus year but certainly what we were producing this year was pretty poor. Today was the final nail in the coffin.

bannside

Agree with all of that. It's really disappointing this didn't work out, and tbh the writing was on the wall a long way off.

I wonder why James Laverty and Conor Murray didn't start yesterday. Two players on top of their game and in great form. That was surprising - particularly as they both provide much needed leadership as well in defence and attack. Maybe they were injured or something I don't know about.

The walkways (in particular Ricky Eunan and Marty who would all start on my team) didn't help, but they had their reasons for doing so, like players before that, and you have to respect that if they are not being used. Man management is part of the gig and obviously this was not handled well.

Pat Shivers landing 4 points was a plus, but why was Ryan out around the middle third doing the donkey work when he is an obvious scoring presence. For me anyway Two Murray's with Pat would have given us much more bite in the final third - something that has been badly lacking all year.

This is the most basic kind of stuff. Far too much of it is lacking though and that is always going to be punished at this level.

Spike

You got your wish , a young antrim team starting.    And then you got your answer which is we are a div 3 / 4 team and squad.  Delusional if you think we are Div 2 material.    People got on Enda's back following a defeat to a clearly superior Limerick side and now the snipers are out in full force  despite getting the team they wanted.     

Time to wake up.     Possibly enda will go following the negative campaign to oust him here and the lack of goodwill from those who are either deluded or have their personal axes to grind.   We stayed in Div 3. We should have seen that as job done as it has been a while since that happened and suddenly people have lost the run of themselves.     

Everyone can constructively criticise but now it just sounds like personal agenda attacks.   

As usual we in Antrim are looking the lazy quick fix solution  and blaming everyone but ourselves for the status of our squad talent.         If enda goes, the next manager will get the same treatment. 

country bumpkin

Quote from: Spike on May 29, 2022, 08:52:49 AM
You got your wish , a young antrim team starting.    And then you got your answer which is we are a div 3 / 4 team and squad.  Delusional if you think we are Div 2 material.    People got on Enda's back following a defeat to a clearly superior Limerick side and now the snipers are out in full force  despite getting the team they wanted.     

Time to wake up.     Possibly enda will go following the negative campaign to oust him here and the lack of goodwill from those who are either deluded or have their personal axes to grind.   We stayed in Div 3. We should have seen that as job done as it has been a while since that happened and suddenly people have lost the run of themselves.     

Everyone can constructively criticise but now it just sounds like personal agenda attacks.   

As usual we in Antrim are looking the lazy quick fix solution  and blaming everyone but ourselves for the status of our squad talent.         If enda goes, the next manager will get the same treatment.

Totally agree Spike....and negativity from within comes from experts who have led their respective clubs, or in fact from any club to a county championship.
Notts hands in the air if Mc Ginley does call it a day.

Just have a look within. The Antrim senior title has been shared between a couple of clubs in the past six years.
Did the present management who have all the experience of positivity on the All Ireland trail miss out in spotting talented individuals......don't think so.

We do have a cherished tradition of manager kicking over the years, Enda follows a trail involving Lenny , Baker, Fitzy, John Morrison, Whitey, etc, etc, etc.....

We would need to get a grip and concentrate on raising the profile within the club scene...

JimStynes

Enda is certainly not to blame. The players aren't there for a start. But the problems are everywhere from coaching, underage county setups, college football.... The list is endless. The odd half decent run every 20 years is all we have seen. Everyone on here is a GAA man but that interest isn't reflective within the general public in antrim. Most areas and people in antrim couldn't care or have a passing interest in GAA. Compare that to Tyrone, Derry etc They're obsessed with GAA. A lot of money needs spent in promoting GAA in antrim and the Gaelfast project isn't even going to scratch the surface.