Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 07, 2022, 09:09:16 AM
It's ok CB MR2 will collect his 'Anto Miles', now who is next in the pot of trusted 4 to ref LD is it McDonald, Parke or McCotter?

The paranoia is strong along the shore, childish stuff, but I suppose expected
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

I believe what you have just did there is called gaslighting

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2022, 09:28:02 AM
It's ok CB MR2 will collect his 'Anto Miles', now who is next in the pot of trusted 4 to ref LD is it McDonald, Parke or McCotter?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 07, 2022, 09:55:47 AM

I was actually down to do your game last night but was changed as someone was unavailable for that game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

McDonald injured then?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2022, 10:06:19 AM

I was actually down to do your game last night but was changed as someone was unavailable for that game

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 07, 2022, 10:17:07 AM
McDonald injured then?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2022, 10:06:19 AM

Let it go let it go..... Some craic, good to see we are living rent free in your head  ;D

asaffgael

The latter shouldn't be allowed to referee a game of bowls never mind Div 1. Worst I have ever seen.

NatSoSaff

Out of interest, what is the extent of the support available to our club referees? Do you get assessed regularly? Is there regular training events or workshops throughout the year? Is there performance analysis available to you or any form of mentor dialogue to help you self assess and review? I know it's difficult to get referees in general and we should be thankful people take up the whistle at all, but I'd like to think they get well supported for their efforts. Surely it would be a win win for all concerned.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 07, 2022, 11:38:32 AM
Out of interest, what is the extent of the support available to our club referees? Do you get assessed regularly? Is there regular training events or workshops throughout the year? Is there performance analysis available to you or any form of mentor dialogue to help you self assess and review? I know it's difficult to get referees in general and we should be thankful people take up the whistle at all, but I'd like to think they get well supported for their efforts. Surely it would be a win win for all concerned.

There is an inhouse meeting every year that all the referees have to attend and is usually chaired and covered by the referee trainer from the Ulster council who'll go through the rule changes, there is also a wide range of clips of games were we discuss the possible fouls and what sanctions need to be applied for it. A review of the following season with any other business thrown in to make the referees aware or revisit previous calls or rule applications.

There is an online test that at county level needs to be passed (pass mark 80%) its also time limited, We've regular emails with the referee team on rules knowledge and a whatsapp to air any queries on things..

The fitness test is a beep test that must be completed (due to covid the last couple of years it has been suspended) you must pass this test to be picked for championship games.

We have a lot of intercounty referee's at present who have an even harder set of rules/fitness guidelines to be passed, they are assessed at every game they do in intercounty..

As for assessment in the Antrim leagues I've had assessments before but not recently I'm sure other referee's have been assessed. Its a detailed report with all the good and bad feedback needed to be used to help you.

There are also people in each code of senior referee's that you can call and get help with if you need it.

Other than that we go to games on our own and try and get it right, but we aint perfect and neither are players/supporters or managers. If we make a mistake its not on purpose.

The number of games we have to referee's  with amount of referee's we have is nowhere near enough, a referee could be out 7 days a week, in some cases they are doing 2 in one day, which I did recently.

So don't be afraid, its a thankless task with abuse thrown in for the craic, I don't know why we haven't people lining up and trying it ;D

marty34

Quote from: asaffgael on April 07, 2022, 11:19:45 AM

The latter shouldn't be allowed to referee a game of bowls never mind Div 1. Worst I have ever seen.

When are you signing up?

Tyrdub

Quote from: marty34 on April 07, 2022, 12:53:33 PM

When are you signing up?

During matches I take great pleasure in asking smart mouths when they are doing the next referee's course, or ask if they have ever bothered to look at the Official Guide. It normally shuts people up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on April 07, 2022, 01:14:46 PM

When are you signing up?

During matches I take great pleasure in asking smart mouths when they are doing the next referee's course, or ask if they have ever bothered to look at the Official Guide. It normally shuts people up.

Now now, show respect get respect  ;D ;D ;D

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 07, 2022, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on April 07, 2022, 01:14:46 PM

When are you signing up?

Now now, show respect get respect  ;D ;D ;D

that does work 2 ways
sometimes  8)

NatSoSaff

Thanks MR2, that's informative and good to know there's a bit of a support base there within Antrim. It would be good to see a bit more being done for you all though. Thankless job as we all know. Personally, I'd just like to see more consistency of the rules being applied. It's so frustrating going to matches and seeing fouls being blown one week and the same, or worse, not being given the next.

2 Games I've seen in the last few days were last night (barely heard a whistle) and last Friday at the county u20 match. With that ref, player's couldn't raise a hand to tackle without the whistle going. Supporters, players and coaches never really know what they're going to get until the game throws in unfortunately a lot of the time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 07, 2022, 01:58:25 PM
Thanks MR2, that's informative and good to know there's a bit of a support base there within Antrim. It would be good to see a bit more being done for you all though. Thankless job as we all know. Personally, I'd just like to see more consistency of the rules being applied. It's so frustrating going to matches and seeing fouls being blown one week and the same, or worse, not being given the next.

2 Games I've seen in the last few days were last night (barely heard a whistle) and last Friday at the county u20 match. With that ref, player's couldn't raise a hand to tackle without the whistle going. Supporters, players and coaches never really know what they're going to get until the game throws in unfortunately a lot of the time.

I get that, but they are only human and will never get all the angles right to see what it is others see, I'd a player come up to me saying how could I have given a call 70 yards away? I was on the 40 and the foul was on the 14 yard line, he wasn't even close!

Remember the referee's are all ex players, still supporters of their own clubs and will (privately) question decisions made during games they get to watch of their own club. Players are trying to con the ref all the time, and umpires calling for points when they are well wide.

I think supporters and players/managers get it in their head that a ref has it in for them, all banter aside on here, that couldn't be further away from the truth. They are only concerned with their own club and how they do, what other teams get up to is out of their control.

I think If players actually listened or heard a recording of how they speak to a referee it may embarrass them enough to keep quiet, even stonewall fouls are questioned every time.

Inter-County referees like I said earlier are assessed to within an inch of their life, 90% of players do not play at that level, if all the referee's applied the rules there would be no contact games, in effect it would become ladies football, I'm happy to work like that, but it would bring on more gurning

NatSoSaff

I agree with you, I took the time to actually read the rules a few years back when I was badgered into taking the u14's. The game would suffer if refs completely applied the book to the letter. It would be great in an ideal world if everyone's version of 'common sense' was the same in applying the rules. I'm sure if we (supporters) we're videoed and mic'd up there would be plenty of embarrassment and belated apologies coming the way of the refs. Rules tests should be part and parcel of being allowed to take a team as well I feel. Sidelines have been a disgrace for a long time. I still wouldn't take my kids anywhere near a dug out when going to a game.