Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

I don't believe this is a good place for that exercise CB. For a start the players themselves wouldn't want their merits of otherwise being debated by a bunch of touchscreen experts.

I made my point re yesterday. Straight away the Green brigade were out in force. Enda will know more than anyone how poor it was. He will be agreeing with most of what I'm saying for God's sake. If not we have a bigger problem, because we are relying on him to see these things!

There has been some excellent performances this year. I expect a response come Sunday to restore pride. If and when that happens, due acknowledgement will follow. Call it as it is.

As EOC says, we have bigger problems coming down the tracks!

Milltown Row2

It's funny how it's ok to criticise some things but not other things, anyways

Haven't seen Antrim outside of home so can't comment on this game, Limerick and Louth did a number on us this year and got their game plan right, Longford are in free fall it seems,  the Fermanagh game really gave us a great 2 points, hopefully Fermanagh can edge out Limerick and if we manage to beat Westmeath we'll go up.

As for the gulf between div 2 and 3 that wouldn't worry me, preparing for that level is what the managers job is to do. Mickey Harte seems happy enough to move his team straight up.

Did anyone find out about the championship draws?  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

I'm sure everyone agrees that McGinley has done a great job since taking the reins. That doesn't make him immune to fair and valid criticism after a terrible performance.

In any case, until our underage player development is sorted out we are only papering over the cracks. Does anyone know what our Director of Football has been up to? Or what his plans are?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Caesar on March 22, 2022, 09:34:56 AM
I'm sure everyone agrees that McGinley has done a great job since taking the reins. That doesn't make him immune to fair and valid criticism after a terrible performance.

In any case, until our underage player development is sorted out we are only papering over the cracks. Does anyone know what our Director of Football has been up to? Or what his plans are?

Of course you are quite correct all managers are fair game for constructive comments but are not fair game to have individuals cast stones from the sideline, citing the retention of players who were past sell by date, insinuating favouritism.
Nor indeed for replacements made not as some onlookers consider wrong at the time or occasion.

The current management have taken us out of the basement and to the cusp of the next level.
It has been suggested he has missed, by accident or design, lads who should be in the Saffron.
Been about awhile cannot figure out who has been left out...by choice rather than those individuals who decided not to answer the call.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 21, 2022, 07:26:46 PM
It's funny how it's ok to criticise some things but not other things, anyways

Haven't seen Antrim outside of home so can't comment on this game, Limerick and Louth did a number on us this year and got their game plan right, Longford are in free fall it seems,  the Fermanagh game really gave us a great 2 points, hopefully Fermanagh can edge out Limerick and if we manage to beat Westmeath we'll go up.

As for the gulf between div 2 and 3 that wouldn't worry me, preparing for that level is what the managers job is to do. Mickey Harte seems happy enough to move his team straight up.

Did anyone find out about the championship draws?  ;)

Or promotion/ relegation in the leagues?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on March 22, 2022, 09:55:39 AM
Quote from: Caesar on March 22, 2022, 09:34:56 AM

Of course you are quite correct all managers are fair game for constructive comments but are not fair game to have individuals cast stones from the sideline, citing the retention of players who were past sell by date, insinuating favouritism.
Nor indeed for replacements made not as some onlookers consider wrong at the time or occasion.

The current management have taken us out of the basement and to the cusp of the next level.
It has been suggested he has missed, by accident or design, lads who should be in the Saffron.
Been about awhile cannot figure out who has been left out...by choice rather than those individuals who decided not to answer the call.

You should apply this mantra for all things, but prefer to suit your own agenda and cast stones when you feel its ok
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Just as a matter of interest, who has made reference to age or players past their sell by dates. Mick, Ricky, James, Conor all going well and playing on merit despite being on wrong side of 30.

What are you talking about CB? 

Just when Antrim finally got their second wind two of their best players were replaced, not only in my opinion, but of those Antrim supporters around me. Yet several players got to see the game out despite being exceptionally quiet throughout.

Is it not ok to raise this here....or is this the type of thing we cant mention without the faux outrage team kicking in?

Credit should be given (and is) when it's due, and likewise constructive criticism should be welcomed where appropriate.

Last Sunday has passed, bad day at office, let's get the show back in the road for Westmeath. That's my last comment on this matter.

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 22, 2022, 11:39:46 AM
Just as a matter of interest, who has made reference to age or players past their sell by dates. Mick, Ricky, James, Conor all going well and playing on merit despite being on wrong side of 30.

What are you talking about CB? 

Just when Antrim finally got their second wind two of their best players were replaced, not only in my opinion, but of those Antrim supporters around me. Yet several players got to see the game out despite being exceptionally quiet throughout.

Is it not ok to raise this here....or is this the type of thing we cant mention without the faux outrage team kicking in?

Credit should be given (and is) when it's due, and likewise constructive criticism should be welcomed where appropriate.

Last Sunday has passed, bad day at office, let's get the show back in the road for Westmeath. That's my last comment on this matter.

"The enduring loyalty to certain players who are consistently underperforming needs to end -and fast if management want to retain their integrity and support of the majority who can see through this"

Wonder who made such comment......and just what was the suggestion made....??

bannside

CB, nowhere did I make a comment about players being too old or past sell by date. Just need to put that right and as I said said move on here, made my point which is about performance on match days,  nothing to do with age!

Some agree,  others think I'm having a cheap pop at management - that's ok, it's a discussion forum. You'll find I consistently give credit where it's due!

It looks like I touched a raw nerve here all the same!!!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on March 22, 2022, 02:39:53 PM
CB, nowhere did I make a comment about players being too old or past sell by date. Just need to put that right and as I said said move on here, made my point which is about performance on match days,  nothing to do with age!

Some agree,  others think I'm having a cheap pop at management - that's ok, it's a discussion forum. You'll find I consistently give credit where it's due!

It looks like I touched a raw nerve here all the same!!!
Do know management and county players do peruse this site,and they can make their own minds up.

Have received a few comments thereon....

Milltown Row2

That's you banned form Corrigan Bannside, tut tut

It feels a bit like Putin's Russia on here

quit yo jibbajabba

Jesus as an outsider yis are some craic is alls ill say 😃

country bumpkin

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 22, 2022, 03:15:15 PM
Jesus as an outsider yis are some craic is alls ill say 😃

Indeed the craic is mighty here....and no need to stray from.home.....

ck

Bannside is 100% correct. He has called out good performances when they happened and Sunday was far from a good performance, always best to say it like it is. Louth were on a different level to Antrim. The next 2 games for Antrim will define the season.

NatSoSaff

From my experience of the thread, I have to say bannside is as fair as it comes with both praise (which is more often than not) and also criticism. I would also ask the question why those 2 lads were withdrawn? Perhaps it is a case of the increasingly common 'red zone' flagging up on live GPS feedback from the sideline? I'm only guessing, but I'd be disappointed if that were the case and a bit more of a gamble taken leaving them on, or even altering their positions, in such a big game to give the team the best chance possible to get over the line.
That being said, I would question your 'This enduring loyalty to certain players who are consistently underperforming needs to end' comment BS? I don't agree that there has been anyone given regular game time this year, unlike previous seasons' who have regularly been below par.