Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:40:30 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on December 06, 2021, 07:33:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:25:59 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:19:19 PM
So beacuse the best club team antrim has ever seen arent challenging nomore that automatically means the standard has dropped? Ok.

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 06, 2021, 07:13:38 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:02:14 PM
I was at corrigan a few years back when cargin played gweedore. Mid way through the 2nd half cargin looked like the only team that was going to go on and win it, kevin cassidy scored a goal against the run of play and that halted cargins momentum. 1 that got away from cargin. Low and behold gweedore went on to win ulster. Creggan were very unlucky not to win yesterday and would have had a good chance of reaching the final. So i wouldnt necessarily say the standards have dropped.
To win an Antrim championship 10 years ago, you had to beat the best team in Ireland. That is not even remotely the case today.
The standard has dropped.

Look our return in Ulster can be a yardstick to where we are at currently, it's not hard luck stories every time?
In recent years we lost to Crossmaglen, Killyclogher, Gweedore and Derrygonnelly. All
good sides. Killyclogher actually the one that annoys me most they weren't great and we should of beaten them. Creggan should be sitting in the semi now but for a monstrous free kick to equalise. You get 60mins every other year if your lucky to have a crack at it. Not easy getting that elusive win

Any side in Ulster is good, the Gweedore being the best (in my view) but the we can only look at how good we are against others at that level. There was a decent Cargin team that got to the semis in the 90's?
1998 St Johns beat Ardboe then narrowly lost a semi to Cross, Cargin beat Carrickmore the following year and again lost narrowly to Cross in the semi. St Pauls also reached the semi in 1996 and 1997 I think.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:43:01 PM
If it wasnt for galls id dare say cargin would have an ulster medal. Close, mccanns, scullion, crozier, kobo 7/8/9 years younger. Would have given as good as they got in ulster.

So beacuse the best club team antrim has ever seen arent challenging nomore that automatically means the standard has dropped? Ok.

I was at corrigan a few years back when cargin played gweedore. Mid way through the 2nd half cargin looked like the only team that was going to go on and win it, kevin cassidy scored a goal against the run of play and that halted cargins momentum. 1 that got away from cargin. Low and behold gweedore went on to win ulster. Creggan were very unlucky not to win yesterday and would have had a good chance of reaching the final. So i wouldnt necessarily say the standards have dropped.
To win an Antrim championship 10 years ago, you had to beat the best team in Ireland. That is not even remotely the case today.

Look our return in Ulster can be a yardstick to where we are at currently, it's not hard luck stories every time?
In recent years we lost to Crossmaglen, Killyclogher, Gweedore and Derrygonnelly. All
good sides. Killyclogher actually the one that annoys me most they weren't great and we should of beaten them. Creggan should be sitting in the semi now but for a monstrous free kick to equalise. You get 60mins every other year if your lucky to have a crack at it. Not easy getting that elusive win

Any side in Ulster is good, the Gweedore being the best (in my view) but the we can only look at how good we are against others at that level. There was a decent Cargin team that got to the semis in the 90's?

They won a championship after beating us in the first round the year after we lost the All Ireland, so those lads were that age you're talking about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

geezer

Its just viewed as elite as a different club wins every year. I have been to quite a few over the years and the matches are always class to be fair. But should be doing better in ulster.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:43:18 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
Look at tyrone. Everyone raves about their championship. Absolute state of their record in ulster. Does that mean that tyrone have overrated club sides? Standards poor? I highly doubt it. My guess is that it is extremely hard to win in ulster. 9 excellent club teams and only 1 winner, it ainy easy.

I really do think they hype up their championship if I'm being honest, the best team I seen was Carrickmore . Ardboe beat us back in the day, crazy match, but I still think they are not as good as they think

geezer

They were too young at that age ye see 😂. Talking more in the 2012/13 bracket.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:45:54 PM
If it wasnt for galls id dare say cargin would have an ulster medal. Close, mccanns, scullion, crozier, kobo 7/8/9 years younger. Would have given as good as they got in ulster.

They won a championship after beating us in the first round the year after we lost the All Ireland, so those lads were that age you're talking about
???

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 07:47:39 PM
They were too young at that age ye see 😂. Talking more in the 2012/13 bracket.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 07:45:54 PM

???

We were same age
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

geezer

Aye but i did say IF galls werent about. Hypothetical of course but do think they would have been in the mix.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 08:01:18 PM
Aye but i did say IF galls werent about. Hypothetical of course but do think they would have been in the mix.

I know and if you're granny had balls 😉

geezer

Cahair okane just shared a tweet that states a Dublin club received €200k in membership fees this year. Jesus.

geezer

Haha is right.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 06, 2021, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: geezer on December 06, 2021, 08:01:18 PM

I know and if you're granny had balls 😉

rogercasement

She's gonna be a long winter boys if we are going round in circles like this.

paddyjohn

Savage craic lads, it's like 2010/11/12/13 etc all over again!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 06, 2021, 09:25:47 PM
Savage craic lads, it's like 2010/11/12/13 etc all over again!!

2001 onwards  ;)

County convention on? Be plenty to talk about soon

JimStynes

I'd say Creggan men will be kicking themselves for throwing that away yesterday. Clann Eireann showed flaws in Creggan's game yesterday as well. Pushing right up on the kick out and pushing up on their sweepers was so simple but effective. Be interesting to see if they come back as hungry. I'm sure the 2 lads who were out injured will want to get another crack at a championship medal but will the rest be as motivated.

bannside

Is right Roger! Can't be waiting on Gaelfast round these parts. Clubs need to take their own responsibility for how they want to look in ten years. Anything they benefit from eg local schools or development squads is bonus territory.

We've had this discussion before not too long ago ....nothings changed in that regard.

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on December 06, 2021, 09:52:49 PM
Is right Roger! Can't be waiting on Gaelfast round these parts. Clubs need to take their own responsibility for how they want to look in ten years. Anything they benefit from eg local schools or development squads is bonus territory.

We've had this discussion before not too long ago ....nothings changed in that regard.

Sure it goes round in cycles. Be grand.