Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calm Down

Quote from: BealnaBlath on November 04, 2021, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
I believe the GAA should bring in a rule that you can only manage your own club. I don't like this business of paid outside managers at all. For me it definitely devalues any success a club has. Totally understand why some clubs feel they need to do it but I don't think it should be permitted.

In theory that's great snd would agree. Couple of North Antrim club im aware had that put into the club constitution and the way around it was making the outside manager a "paying" member of the club. Clubs will always find a way around it.

What about Karol Doc, McCauley, Totes?

Coupe surprising merry go rounds in div2 if info i received this morning is correct, a superb Cargin player in my days and ex manager of them  to go to the near neighbours in div2? Ex Johnnies manager to go back to Crumlin and the young lad who was there few years ago with  soccer background back to Ballymena? Another young lad from moneyglass  to Glenravel ?

All hearsay at this time of the year and could be BS. Follow the money I suppose...

As for top refs in football? Laverty, McDonald, McKeown and Robert's (potential to be better) for me.

I don't think any team beat this year can solely blame ref for losing. Ref never gave ball away or kicked it wide. Lazy excuse.

BealnaBlath

Quote from: Calm Down on November 04, 2021, 01:38:55 PM
Quote from: BealnaBlath on November 04, 2021, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
I believe the GAA should bring in a rule that you can only manage your own club. I don't like this business of paid outside managers at all. For me it definitely devalues any success a club has. Totally understand why some clubs feel they need to do it but I don't think it should be permitted.

In theory that's great snd would agree. Couple of North Antrim club im aware had that put into the club constitution and the way around it was making the outside manager a "paying" member of the club. Clubs will always find a way around it.

What about Karol Doc, McCauley, Totes?

Coupe surprising merry go rounds in div2 if info i received this morning is correct, a superb Cargin player in my days and ex manager of them  to go to the near neighbours in div2? Ex Johnnies manager to go back to Crumlin and the young lad who was there few years ago with  soccer background back to Ballymena? Another young lad from moneyglass  to Glenravel ?

All hearsay at this time of the year and could be BS. Follow the money I suppose...

As for top refs in football? Laverty, McDonald, McKeown and Robert's (potential to be better) for me.

I don't think any team beat this year can solely blame ref for losing. Ref never gave ball away or kicked it wide. Lazy excuse.

All very good refs also, just think others slightly ahead. Matter of opinion suppose and side of a fiver between them. .

I think we're very lucky with refs at the moment.

If you recall back 20/30 years ago, the standard is night and day compared to now. Fitness and decision making is fantastic, always going to get some things wrong. If you think how many decisions a ref has to make in a game and percentage of what they get right I think they're doing excellent job.

geezer

Colm mcdonald is ref. On the county website.

HealthySaff

You guys are all very hard on Antrim refs, particularly when you lose! Give the volunteers a break

Saffronaldo

Quote from: HealthySaff on November 04, 2021, 03:08:23 PM
You guys are all very hard on Antrim refs, particularly when you lose! Give the volunteers a break

I've already acknowledged it's a difficult job, and fair play to them for doing it. My own club didn't lose so my comments on the semi final I was at aren't sour grapes, just a neutral making an honest assessment.

The video evidence supports my view, and I don't think it's unreasonable to question blatantly unfair decisions like that. In fact we should be doing so in an attempt to raise standards.

JimStynes

What sort of condition is the pitch in at Corrigan? I think a heavier pitch will suit Creggan. They're a big physical team. Plenty of pace too. Maybe one step too far for our lads this year but we are up in the mix now and will hopefully stay there for the foreseeable!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: JimStynes on November 04, 2021, 03:19:20 PM
What sort of condition is the pitch in at Corrigan? I think a heavier pitch will suit Creggan. They're a big physical team. Plenty of pace too. Maybe one step too far for our lads this year but we are up in the mix now and will hopefully stay there for the foreseeable!

Mind games started already  😉
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Peter john on November 04, 2021, 04:05:28 PM
Hoof,you heard any news on managerial roundabout

No nothing, all very cryptic up above isn't it, apart from  nugent to Aldergrove
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

JimStynes

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 04, 2021, 03:46:59 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 04, 2021, 03:19:20 PM

Mind games started already  😉

I thought it's an accurate enough assessment

Milltown Row2

Now that the ref has been appointed, its only fair for me to have a chat on this thread. I've always came away from the thread during championship

Free count exactly the same for both teams, Cargin won 11 free's in the first half Creggan won 12, no technical fouls, Cargin had a few more advantage calls, one of which led to the goal. Creggan also picked up a yellow card, no notes or cards for Cargin.

Second half Cargin won more frees 11 frees to Creggan's 10. (even overall) Cargin had one for overcarrying call while Creggan had 1 throw ball and one overcarrying call also another yellow card.

As for the Gerard McCann hit, on reflection or after 3 views I understand why that would be looked at as a fair challenge, the ref has one second to call it, positionally had I been in a better place it could have been called differently so I'll take that one on the chin, but a tight call all the same.

I'm not sure what game CB was watching with those 'facts' I've watched it back recorded, timed and where the tackles happened and what came of them.

Cargin unusually missed a couple of easy frees for them, Tomas dropped one short and young Pat pulled one to the right of the post, very unlike the pair of them and Mick also missed from open play from about 21 yards out the right.

I wish Colm al the best, as said already on here, a very good ref and hopefully both teams allow him and his officials to do their job, we won't keep everyone happy, but we have a course every year for new ref's that are interested, you can PM me details and I'll forward them on to the referees panel. the quality of the armchair ref is of a very high standard and would be useful on days like Sunday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

He got the 2017 final, but in recent years our own Eamon McAuley has been ruled out of the final for obvious reasons. Surely he could of got a shot at it with Cargin out, instead of the same old same old.

Calm Down

As you are the man in the know MR2 who is the refs two sidekicks for the final

BTW didn't see the Cargin game at all but have to assume by all comments in here you got it all wong  ;)

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2021, 04:32:13 PM
Now that the ref has been appointed, its only fair for me to have a chat on this thread. I've always came away from the thread during championship

Free count exactly the same for both teams, Cargin won 11 free's in the first half Creggan won 12, no technical fouls, Cargin had a few more advantage calls, one of which led to the goal. Creggan also picked up a yellow card, no notes or cards for Cargin.

Second half Cargin won more frees 11 frees to Creggan's 10. (even overall) Cargin had one for overcarrying call while Creggan had 1 throw ball and one overcarrying call also another yellow card.

As for the Gerard McCann hit, on reflection or after 3 views I understand why that would be looked at as a fair challenge, the ref has one second to call it, positionally had I been in a better place it could have been called differently so I'll take that one on the chin, but a tight call all the same.

I'm not sure what game CB was watching with those 'facts' I've watched it back recorded, timed and where the tackles happened and what came of them.

Cargin unusually missed a couple of easy frees for them, Tomas dropped one short and young Pat pulled one to the right of the post, very unlike the pair of them and Mick also missed from open play from about 21 yards out the right.

I wish Colm al the best, as said already on here, a very good ref and hopefully both teams allow him and his officials to do their job, we won't keep everyone happy, but we have a course every year for new ref's that are interested, you can PM me details and I'll forward them on to the referees panel. the quality of the armchair ref is of a very high standard and would be useful on days like Sunday

Saffsof82

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2021, 04:32:13 PM

but we have a course every year for new ref's that are interested, you can PM me details and I'll forward them on to the referees panel. the quality of the armchair ref is of a very high standard and would be useful on days like Sunday

;D ;D ;D spot on

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 04, 2021, 04:48:29 PM
He got the 2017 final, but in recent years our own Eamon McAuley has been ruled out of the final for obvious reasons. Surely he could of got a shot at it with Cargin out, instead of the same old same old.

Eamonn is a bit like Skinny, if you team is in the final then he'll  not get that op, its unfortunate and the same happened for our ref during that period of dominance. Eamon did the Johnnies and Lamhs final, not for the faint hearted, did a grand job too. This year (non bias) I feel it was a toss up between a few refs, Sean Colm Karol and maybe one or two others..

You couldn't begrudge Colm this appointment
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

You can't fault the preparation which is put into getting the ref ready for the county final, driving around all year to different games with the men who give out the big appointments if not appointing yourself to a county final