Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Was talking to a fella today about the same thing Flanker and he told me that he overheard someone from Dunloy complaining at the hurling final on Sunday that their under 12 footballers were at a top u 12 blitz competition earlier that day in Derry someehere with all the big clubs involved and won every game. Mind you he finished up by saying that someone should have burst the bloody ball lol.

BigBallWeeBall

No doubt Dunloy are a leading light in club development. One question to the group is '''Are we the only county without a ground with a covered stand to host big games. Is there anything definite in the pipeline

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: bannside on October 01, 2019, 05:40:45 PM
Was talking to a fella today about the same thing Flanker and he told me that he overheard someone from Dunloy complaining at the hurling final on Sunday that their under 12 footballers were at a top u 12 blitz competition earlier that day in Derry someehere with all the big clubs involved and won every game. Mind you he finished up by saying that someone should have burst the bloody ball lol.

yeah they were there in Glenulin at the weekend and won every game and won the Cup competition. they are a cracking wee team and have barely lost a game at hurling as well. A lot of work put in to them in the academy from they were wee ones is paying off again.

its nice to see but having a building is pointless unless you have the coaches and the kids wanting to play.

I was at the game Monday night (with a hangover still!) and it was a very well run game. fair play to Ballymena as its a hard venue in the pitch dark to ensure so many peoples safety at one time as well looking after both teams
hurl like f**k boi!

Sportacus

I've seen quite a lot of underage football over the last few years and I've really noticed a few clubs who had really talented U12 squads a few years ago fall away badly.  Kids skills not developing at all, while a few other clubs have climbed the ladder from nowhere.  The variation in coaching quality between our clubs seems to be very wide.

imtommygunn

I remember coaching under 12 years ago(early noughties) and Lisburn were a fantastic team. I wonder did any of them win the junior recently.

Dunloy always produce good footballers. It's balancing the dual side of it.

Na Glinntí Glasa

sorry i should edit that it was an U8 tournament they were at. They are the same at the hurling as well. very strong and some very talented wee lads.

sons of former senior players in that group like Gary & Greg O'Kanes, Paddy & Liam Richmond, Seamus & Damian McMullan so they have a decent talent in their genes lol
hurl like f**k boi!

delgany

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 02, 2019, 11:19:15 AM
I remember coaching under 12 years ago(early noughties) and Lisburn were a fantastic team. I wonder did any of them win the junior recently.

Dunloy always produce good footballers. It's balancing the dual side of it.

There was 9 starters and 6 subs in the Lisburn squad , last weekend , who played under age football  in the 2004 -2010 period.

imtommygunn

I think it was 02 or 03 I coached and Kevin madden was Lisburn u12 coach at the time. I remember them being very good - possibly the best i saw in the sw that year. Not sure if they won it or not in the end.

Dr if your u12s are good I could see a long period of dominance coming in hurling at least!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 02, 2019, 04:50:45 PM
I think it was 02 or 03 I coached and Kevin madden was Lisburn u12 coach at the time. I remember them being very good - possibly the best i saw in the sw that year. Not sure if they won it or not in the end.

Dr if your u12s are good I could see a long period of dominance coming in hurling at least!

its the wee U8's who are very strong. The U10's are pretty handy as well atm in both grades like the 8's.

I think its a bit of luck in terms of numbers along with the ability of having the facility to train indoors no matter the weather.

we should be finishing off our new outdoor 4G pitch beside the Academy shortly so that give more room and be able to train at night in it and stay off the grass when its so wet.
hurl like f**k boi!

Cranfield

Mind that wee Lisburn team. Madden was coaching there teams around that time.

They were a well drilled outfit & beat us in the SW final. Could have been 03/04.

Be interesting to know if any are still playing

imtommygunn

Might have been. Showing my age and those years blurry as to which one it was lol.yeah I did think they won it.

Cranfield

Not certain on year at same time! Think it was the Johnstons & David McGuckins year

Belfast GAA man

PG1 are certainly on the up and their complex is superb which must be helping. So r Cargin in minor and senior finals and super new facilities.
Are the schools going good work up there or is it all the clubs work?

delgany

Quote from: Cranfield on October 02, 2019, 05:30:33 PM
Mind that wee Lisburn team. Madden was coaching there teams around that time.

They were a well drilled outfit & beat us in the SW final. Could have been 03/04.

Be interesting to know if any are still playing

They won u12 cup in 2003 and u 14 Shield in 2004
Five from 03 still playing

whatwillbwillb

Only £4,600 to the Charities, that's a shock & very disappointing,  shudda let the Charities do the gates themselves !!!!