Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

Management set the team up to play to a system. When that system stymies the natural talent in the squad, and deprives our own forwards of possession - that's not good enough. 18 points in 2 championship games? 10 from play - over 2 games? When we have Ryan Murray, Paddy McBride, the McCanns, Niblock, Fitzpatrick, Neeson (not there now) all on board? It's not good enough, it's a deficient system and management should have seen that over the two games. Limerick drew one game and lost all others this season up to today.

bannside

Fantastic game of football today. End to end, fast and furious. You'd pay money to watch this every week. Fitness levels unreal. Support play fantastic. Quick fast football as it should be played.

Not sure who will win it. Malachy O Rourke v Rory Gallagher two managers on top of their game.

bannside

Yesterday was another very sad day for Antrim Football for quite a free reasons. We were 2/5 at home to a team that hadn't won a match all year and lost. Not only that, but we hardly got out of third gear and lost most of the individual duels all over the pitch.

Not one player will look back on this with any pride. We were clueless at times. Team formation all wrong. Burke at FF and Matt Fitz out round the middle. That's just one example. No one had a notion who was hitting frees. We had half a dozen players who definitely didn't look near championship pace and without doubt Limerick were hungrier, sharper and fitter. They were more vocal and had hard direct runners all over the pitch.

The very quick ball via hand or foot that I mentioned here in an earlier post was evident all right but was from the men in green. As a qualified coach I liked their style a lot. They set up defensively too but we're 200% quicker at moving the ball and making direct yards. Their full back line especially 3 and 4 were immense, raiding us at every opportunity.

In contrast we looked slow and ponderous. Leaderless too. No one to hit and no one showing. To think we had two men in their half for most of the game, especially the first half when we had the wind at our back, was nothing short of criminal mismanagement along the line. I'm sorry to have to put it that way but I can't think of a better or fairer word to use.

I didn't expect to beat Fermanagh but did expect a performance at least. That didn't happen so yesterday was a chance to redeem that. But we failed miserably and what has happened since we drew with Louth 10 weeks ago has taken completely away from that achievement.

Everyone on here and whoever you speak to is sick to the back teeth of the way we are being set up to play football. Limerick are coming down from division three and we are going up into it.

Playing like that will see us swiftly back to where we belong if there are not some monumental changes in the interim.

paddyjohn

What you ever put your name forward for the job BS?

bannside

It's very easy to take a pop at management when things don't go well. It's often far too convenient. I know the work they put in and speaking to players regularly they thought the set up was good and quite professional.  It's only fair that is communicated too in the interests of balanced and subjective analysis.

On the fitness issue, I know that quite a few players yesterday had less than ideal preparation. Burke, Mc Keever, Mc Aleese, Martin Johnston, Ryan and Tomas all had injury concerns. Justy has played very little all year because of his injury and then wedding. That's the reason for some of the sluggishness.

If Sean Hurson had given us the penalty when Kevin Niblock was hauled down in the square , or Marty or worse still Ryan Murray has converted two excellent goal chances then we would have got across the line ok. And Burkey gave away two vital passes just when we had had finally got into the driving seat. Sadly that burst our bubble and there was no way back.

On a different day we would have beaten Limerick but not with all this going on. But it would have papered over more than a few cracks and now that the season is over it is constructive that we can analyse where we are going wrong and what we are doing well.

Everyone, players, management and backroom staff have put in a big shift. I know the hours were put in and for large parts most of it was good and that should be recognised. But what we have seen more recently will not be enough next year so something has to give. Hopefully it will the negative tactics that has everyone talking for the wrong reasons.  One man can't be right and everyone else wrong.

bannside

PaddyJohn I'm not sure if that was a vote of confidence or a wee dig lol. I went for the job in 09 when Baker got it. I also applied for U-21 job after that (having previously taken them in 06 the last time they won a match at this level) but didn't get a response from a county board I was at loggerheads with. My boat has sailed and there are plenty of good men who I know could do a job at this level.

At the minute Fitzy and Gearoid have the position that's the only show in town as we speak.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on June 26, 2016, 01:47:12 PM
PaddyJohn I'm not sure if that was a vote of confidence or a wee dig lol. I went for the job in 09 when Baker got it. I also applied for U-21 job after that (having previously taken them in 06 the last time they won a match at this level) but didn't get a response from a county board I was at loggerheads with. My boat has sailed and there are plenty of good men who I know could do a job at this level.

At the minute Fitzy and Gearoid have the position that's the only show in town as we speak.

Wasn't a dig at you at all. As a county we need all the experienced heads like yourself on board at some level.

BrendanAntrim

After the Fermanagh no show I was for not going back, but my young son convinced me to go yesterday, sure we would beat Limerick wouldn't we? Even he - at age 14 - can't stomach it anymore. I find that very sad. But as things stand, unless here is a change of approach, I'm not going back to watch that muck anymore. Last good day with Antrim was away to Wicklow to seal promotion. At least that journey was worthwhile.

paddyjohn

So what we are saying here is that Antrim are a disgrace? Games overpriced? Poor management?

We've been down this road before lads & lassies. When will we realise that managers weren't banging the door down to do the job, the county board appointed the best management team they thought. In turn that management team will set the team up as they see fit, we have to accept that rightly or wrongly and move on, these lads are decent men who to be honest don't want to see Antrim beat.

Maybe a few axes to grind on this board and using the management as a channel to do so?

I'm as scunnered as the next with the performances of the county teams this weekend but I continue to give them my backing when I can, also I'll give the Saffon Vision county board time to turn it around.

BrendanAntrim

Everyone gives their best I know, but its just ultra frustrating to see us struggle against a team who I think its reasonable to suggest we should be beating.

Gold

The penalty was harsh and we should have scored a goal.

The disappointing thing is we played with no forwards ....scored a handful of points in 2 championship from play...just boring to watch unfortunately. Most games are boring these days tbf but disappointing when it's our county.

From Loughrey left we haven't really had a line/tackle breaker....we get up to tackles and then turn back or stop...it's hard to watch. Tomas can also but thats really it. The lads worked their balls off all year and got promoted which we are all grateful for...I'm not knocking their effort...it's just hard to watch epitomised by Spillane tonight rolling his eyes at the 1 score from play (from limerick unfortunately ) in the second half.

How do we fix it? Not enough big strong men in our county...not enough skill or flair either. 
Coaching and breeding needed!

In our leagues there's very little hitting hard...any hitting is trampy, cowardly digging to the back of the head "I'll knack ur ballix in" bs.
We need a change of culture
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bannside

PaddyJohn you come across as a knowledgeable fella but your sentence about managers  not banging the door down to manage Antrim is miles off the mark so I can't let that sentiment go opposed.

That's the great thing about the likes of this discussion forum. It means that potentially lots of things can hit the forum that previously couldn't.  I know that quite a few were genuinely interested in the position but we're totally dismissed. Aidan O Rourke. Banty Mc Eneaney.  Pete Mc Grath. John Rafferty. All fell foul of our outgoing administration who felt that for one reason or another none of these applicants were credible challengers.

All Ireland winners and serial national league winners.  None given a look in.  Our county chairman decided where his loyalties lied. Everyone else was dismissed as not good enough, too expensive ( balls)  or not suiting the agenda. CV'S were irrelevant.

There's good men in the South West for example who are every bit as capable of taking county teams but please try and tell me when was the last one who was even remotely given consideration. Of 15 managers over the last 40 years not one ever came from one proud half of our football county.

That's totally unfair and a stat that will no longer be allowed to go unopposed. I mean if we're winning things you wouldn't say a word.

I'm not saying give the job to a SW man just to balance this. Give it to the men with the proper CV. To overlook Pete Mc Grath who was keen to take us on) is just an example of the total crass ineptitude of those we tasked with this responsibility. Never again should anyone as unqualified ever be put in a position to make decisions on behalf of our county to make decisions of this magnitude, ever again.

The men we entrusted with making the right call laughed off Pete Mc Grath and didnt even give him the decency if a reply. I'm sure he's having some laugh now. Pete, if you read on here I'd sincerely like to apologise on behalf of our county.

paddyjohn

Fair enough BS, I stand corrected. I knew McGrath was keen but I knew that was under the old regime and not under this saffron vision crowd.

Who in the SW would you recommend?

bannside

I won't shirk that question PJ.

Give me a level two coach to begin with, and by necessity lots of relevant experience to back it up.

Kevin Madden has managed Glenullin to win a Derry championship and spells with Loup and Dungiven and currently going well at Creggan. Assisted Damien Cassidy at Derry. A boatload of experience and a man who could take us to the next level.

What do you know about John Mc Keever. Still 37 and managed Cookstown to an all Ireland intermediate title.  Headhunted by Ballinderry...now that's a big statement in itself. Now with Coalisland going well in Tyrone div one. Top property and a really good operator. I'd say 95% of people in Antrim sell haven't heard of him and believe me he is very highly rated in Tyrone. Best mates with Peter  Canavan who would rate John very highly. (I was at a function with both of them last week in Dungannon).

That's just two from my own club and I'd  fancy my chances given a level playing field against either of them and they know that too lol.

JC Devlin as good as anyone who has managed Antrim as far back as I can remember but hasn't ever been properly considered. Any one of above as good as if not better than what has gone before us and know their way around a football team.

Paddy Graffin top notch too. Exceptionally well organised and would build in a great backroom team. That's just a few off the top of my head.

paddyjohn

I rate John McKeever very highly, a gent into the bargin and surely the players would respect him.

I agree there is no doubt that some of our former county men could do a job.