Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

No. That St Galls group was truly unreal. I doubt if any club will ever produce a tight knit group with so many leaders and genuine quality.  I don't think we will ever see a club in Antrim so dominant again. Not even St Galls themselves.

Hectic

It is hard enough to predict how current teams will fare against each other.  To compare across a 10 year span is difficult and we will probably only truly know in 5-10 years time when we see how this St.Johns group progress but they will do well to achieve close to what St.Galls have.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on November 24, 2015, 01:38:20 PM
It is hard enough to predict how current teams will fare against each other.  To compare across a 10 year span is difficult and we will probably only truly know in 5-10 years time when we see how this St.Johns group progress but they will do well to achieve close to what St.Galls have.

I think its very simple, we won 5 in a row while winning the same amount at the same time in minor... when/if this current St John's team achieves that then we can say they are on a par with that particular Galls team... then ultimately go to win another brace at senior....

there is no disputing the history/tradition that the Johnnies have... most envious in Antrim I'd say domestically (though Rossa may dispute that  ;) )
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 23, 2015, 09:29:58 PM
Quote from: Gold on November 23, 2015, 02:00:41 PM
Is this Johns u-21 team on a par with the Galls one of about 10 years ago?

Which under 21 team? We won five in a row ;)

The team didn't change much over those 5 years. At one stage they put 7 goals past L Dhearg in an U21 final. They were literally untouchable for a while

I've heard good things about this Johnnies team but haven't seen them and so wondered would they be on a similar level.

Although to be fair half the Galls u21 team who won the 1st of that 5 in a row played and won a 1st Senior championship  in the same year, the Johnnies kids haven't looked near doing that yet.

Just wondered as I heard they might be the next really big deal and wondered whether they were or not...time will tell.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Though the two big teams at the time were missing so don't think they'd have won that year if they were in ... (Though suspect they would any other year)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2015, 02:09:30 PM
Though the two big teams at the time were missing so don't think they'd have won that year if they were in ... (Though suspect they would any other year)

What did the 2 big teams do the following year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Plus I was wondering were they just athletes/gym monkeys as opposed to the footballers that Galls were.

Kids these days are in great shape in a way they weren't back in the day. From the v little I've seen of Johns they all look in great shape--

I just wondered if it was athleticism rather than footballing ability (and lack of ability elsewhere in the county) that has them at the top or whether they have genuine class footballers like Galls did who could match any team in Ireland.

Is good for our county if we produce genuine top class club sides so I'm just interested and especially given Galls are on the wain (maybe another 3 championships in them) as are Cargin (despite winning this year obviously but all their main men are getting on in years).

Would hate to see years of 1st round ulster club beatings like has happened for example to Fermanagh teams and wondering if Johns are going to be the real deal
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on November 24, 2015, 03:13:35 PM
Plus I was wondering were they just athletes/gym monkeys as opposed to the footballers that Galls were.

Kids these days are in great shape in a way they weren't back in the day. From the v little I've seen of Johns they all look in great shape--

I just wondered if it was athleticism rather than footballing ability (and lack of ability elsewhere in the county) that has them at the top or whether they have genuine class footballers like Galls did who could match any team in Ireland.

Is good for our county if we produce genuine top class club sides so I'm just interested and especially given Galls are on the wain (maybe another 3 championships in them) as are Cargin (despite winning this year obviously but all their main men are getting on in years).

Would hate to see years of 1st round ulster club beatings like has happened for example to Fermanagh teams and wondering if Johns are going to be the real deal

That's a fair point... time and development with a good coach will decide that for the Johnnies....

as for the years of 1st round knockouts at Ulster club the Johnnies and ourselves always managed to do well when competing in Ulster and beyond... The Johnnies came up against a college team in the All Ireland final when they were in their pomp but they met a team laced with superstars !!

I hope we can generate more club teams to push for honours rather than the usual suspects... more country teams please ? when was the last country team to win bar Cargin?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2015, 02:58:43 PM

Nothing.

I don't think St Galls would have beat them the first year though. All irrelevant now anyway.

1966 was last time according to wiki MR... Seems about time someone else won it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 24, 2015, 04:12:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2015, 02:58:43 PM

Nothing.

I don't think St Galls would have beat them the first year though. All irrelevant now anyway.

1966 was last time according to wiki MR... Seems about time someone else won it.

We'll never know, and that's what happens when you go a bit loco at the county final showpiece!! we had just won div 2 that year  :P

imtommygunn

I have no affiliation to either club so don't really care anyway  8)

Been a long time since anyone bar st galls or cargin won never mind other country clubs. Unless st johns step up I don't think that will change for a while and even if they do I doubt it will change for a while.

Is McBride still u21?

The Gs Man

U21 Final confirmed for Lamh Dhearg at 2pm. 

Colm McDonald referee.

Keep 'er lit

Hectic

I have been impressed any time I have saw Colm McDonald referee - hope I have not skudded him for Sunday but always seems to apply a good deal of common sense and manages the game well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hectic on November 25, 2015, 12:16:23 PM
I have been impressed any time I have saw Colm McDonald referee - hope I have not skudded him for Sunday but always seems to apply a good deal of common sense and manages the game well.

Yep, agreed , Colm will be on the ball and is fairly fit to keep up with play... good luck to all involved

SaffronHeart

The modern day plight of the dual club could be the Johnnies downfall as quite a few of the team's leaders are successful in both codes which may hinder their progress for senior football glory. Although that said their two best young players McBride (out of u21) and Fitzpatrick are both football only.