Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CitySlicker11

Where is the lamh dhearg and st John's game being played this weekend?

paddyjohn

Milltown Row2

Good win over Cargin tonight in MFC
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Posted on the Fermanagh v Dublin thread there....that should be us in the All Ireland QF, not Fermanagh.

We have better players than Fermanagh---they had to beat us, a Ross team with no forwards, likewise a Westmeath team who had one fluke (like us v Laois) comeback result v Meath

With last years team even id say we'd be in the QF

Shite
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

Imagine the crowd we'd have v the Dubs in an AI Quarter Final?!

Like with our population we should be putting it up to and playing the dubs yearly in the Championship.

Imagine the buzz

imtommygunn

Gold do we really have better players than fermanagh? Really?

Ryan McCloskey. Seamus Quigley. Tomas Corrigan. Eoin Donnelly. These are the top 4 but there are more.

Do we have better than these guys? Name them because I doubt we do.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2015, 10:11:22 AM
Gold do we really have better players than fermanagh? Really?

Ryan McCloskey. Seamus Quigley. Tomas Corrigan. Eoin Donnelly. These are the top 4 but there are more.

Do we have better than these guys? Name them because I doubt we do.

Kevin Niblock, Michael McCann, Tomas McCann, Aodhan Gallagher, Sean Kelly, Terry O'Neill, Karl Stewart (never played football for the county), Bam Neeson (1-6 from play v Ferm last year), James Loughery (FS Cork)

If they all played (even now that a few have hit 30) we'd beat Fermanagh 9 out of 10 times I believe. They're all younger than McCloskey.

We have no elder players (over 30) with experience (bar Tony Scullion) whilst Monaghan had Lennon and Clerkin/Finley...Donegal have Gallagher, Toye, Lacey, McFadden...all the same age as the boys I mentioned and arguably in their prime (or just slightly on the wain) and game winners unlike young lads whose performances will be up and down and less likely to manage a game at that level

I just know I'd fancy my chances playing against the current Antrim team than one with the players I named above.

We need to find out why those boys above aren't playing (don't want to play) as you look at the likes of Eoin Lennon--who said he'd play another year as he realised Monaghan were on the verge of doing something again this year, knew he could add to it, gave his commitment and started, scored in and won an Ulster Title.

imtommygunn

I disagree with your rating of a number of these players to be honest with you.  There are  a number on that list who in my view would be lucky to make the fermanagh squad.

If you look at Fermanagh too then the two Quigleys who aren't playing are up there with what we've got.

Every county has these problems of players not togging out.

I think , as per hurling, we have dilusions a little bit in the county. There is a big gap between where fermanagh currently are and where we are. A big gap.

P.S. I do admire your optimism though and wish I could be that optimistic.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2015, 11:18:11 AM
I disagree with your rating of a number of these players to be honest with you.  There are  a number on that list who in my view would be lucky to make the fermanagh squad.

If you look at Fermanagh too then the two Quigleys who aren't playing are up there with what we've got.

Every county has these problems of players not togging out.

I think , as per hurling, we have dilusions a little bit in the county. There is a big gap between where fermanagh currently are and where we are. A big gap.

P.S. I do admire your optimism though and wish I could be that optimistic.

Fair point. Opinions differ but that's the point of a discussion board!

Think the issues need to be debated however. They'd be debated much more in counties like Down. There isn't enough self reflection in this county

Bold(er) moves like the County Board bringing in an Aidan O'Rourke as manager are required. Baker was what was needed at the time.

Dawson and now Fitzsimmons (despite he obviously caring and doing his best) are just not the options to bring us forward.

imtommygunn

Was Pete McGrath not in for managing us at one point or am I wrong on that?

I think Fitzsimmons deserves a lot of credit to be fair to him however there are two things which are really set out by the county board when we pick a manager -
1) what ambitons do we have as a county
2) what quality of coaching/ tactics etc etc will our players get

I think due to us not appearing to have any of number 1 from county board level then a lot of players just don't turn out. This is the really unfortunate thing.

SaffronHeart

Gold, very optimistic postings Karl Stewart and Terry O'Neill while savage club players certainly wouldnt make the Fermanagh team. The others for whatever reason do not have the commitment and all on the wrong side of 30 bar Bam and Tomas.
I Agree that county board are doing the Gaels in the county a disservice with their complete lack of ambition but sure noone has attempted to change the status quo and we are stuck in a rut.

Anyway, LD vs the Johnnies on friday night any predictions? I think the Johnnies could cause an upset here, they have mcbride and fitzpatrick back from america while LD have several absentees. It should be a close run thing anyway.

Antrim2011

not a betting man but just looking @ paddypower odds

Ahoghill 6/5 to beat st pauls in SFC

Division 1 team against Division 2 team

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim2011 on July 30, 2015, 01:39:20 AM

Yeah and Ahoghill according to CB should have beat the county champions bar the 15 min injury time and that call for us to win.... Stick house on it ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AntrimRealist

All this talk about Antrim could have done this, that and the other.  The most telling thing I've seen over the last week about Fermanagh is the comment from McGrath about their commitment - he said their attitude makes his job alot easier which allows him to get the best out of them.
That's the difference between Antrim and Fermanagh....

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2015, 07:47:21 AM
Quote from: Antrim2011 on July 30, 2015, 01:39:20 AM

Yeah and Ahoghill according to CB should have beat the county champions bar the 15 min injury time and that call for us to win.... Stick house on it ::)
You must be the worst tipster in the world MR2......................but that 6/5 looks so attractive I'm gonna release the moths and have a few quid on that ;)