Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It's one of the best wins I remember too.

Down and done gal maybe in ulster challenge it.

Exactly right- forget about who wasn't there. Those who were there did it and got a bit of pride back

bannside

Manballandall I don't think anyone here has a single gripe against St Galls or the 3 players in this matter. Club comes first with every player and that's the way it should be.

Hopefully your three players will all be back at training and accept the consequences manfully because they are all big assets to this team in different ways.

ITG to be very honest with you I had work commitments yesterday until midday and that didn't leave me time to get there. Had 4 tickets too but had to settle for Thomas Niblock and a very good commentary from Radio Ulster. Incidentally Mick Mc Cann said that he wouldn't rule out a return next year under "different circumstances" which he refused to elaborate on. Tomas the same. And alluded to Sean Kelly who was co commentating from O Moore Park would do the same. All under "different curcumstances"

And quite a few other "established senior players" he had spoken to were of the same view. All very interesting Michael but please spit it out exactly what you mean. Then we would have something to consider.

A couple of the players were in my house last night and I got the lowdown from them. A case of let's throw the kitchen sink at this for 35 mins or the season is over. It worked. They said Laois tired obviously as they did against Kildare a week previously and that didn't do us any harm either.

Ryan Murray lit the spark with a few outrageous points and when he scored his goal the momentum took over and everyone knew "it was on". A real buzz now let's get those supporters buses organised for the next one. Saffron army back on tour.

imtommygunn

I've only read brief reports. Good luck to the minors now.

Guys in similar predicament. St John's guy playing in u21 hurling final on at the minute

Fixtures secretary needs looked at.

Dreen

Fair play to the seniors on a great win which I think even the most ardent fan never saw coming.  Hopefully the 3 players dropped will be back at training this week and the incident moved on from in terms of the senior football panel.  The fixture scenario is another example of our county board problem but only time and new blood will fix, which could take a generation.  I attended underage tournament in France last week and saw talented people with no Irish connections being passionate but also very professional in their organisation, a stark contrast to a few people in our own county in my opinion.

The senior side has definitely shown positives after yesterday, the Fermanagh game was dire and I personally think the management got the selection and tactics horribly wrong but redemption came yesterday and credit has to be given when credit is due.  The ability to get 17 scores in a championship match should never be sniffed at and shows a great platform there to work with going forward next year with whatever happens this year now a bonus.

bannside

Great post Dreen.  How did you get on on your trip. Great experience which will hopefully help develop your next generation. Not many juveniles get an experience like that.

Dreen

it was definitely a worthwhile trip and the 14 lads who went will have something to talk about for a while though im sure anyone who has taken a team to feile would say the same thing.  Id encourage anyone to do the same, as a mentor I couldn't speak highly enough of it and to be honest when it was put to me at the start I wasn't sold on it at all.  It took one man in our club to take it on and get it organised and he did an excellent job and hopefully it will provide the template for other teams and codes in our own club to run with in the future.

Few happy lads in your house last night id say, as much as it pains a Sharkin man to say the Portglenone county contingent are excellent, id have Dermot in every team from the start.

bannside

Aye Dermot is in our house most nights too lol. Great to see him get his chance and take it. A fantastic asset for our club and county u-21 captain so he should feature on many county teams of the future.

Cargin beat us today but we were a bit more competitive thankfully. We held in well with them for the most of the game but Justin Crozier came on and made a difference for them.

bannside

Word on the street about the St Galls 3 not so good. One for Boston on Wednesday and another in a full scale verbal spat with top county official after the match yesterday. Antrim always good for a story.

getevennotcross

Lets keep things in context here.  The County Exec. and possibly Frank thought the team would be bate, as would most other Antrim people.  So, ok we beat Laois, is it not about time we chalked up a win (however meaningless)?  But lets get real here, next day could be back to the reality of where we sit in the pecking order among 32 other counties.

Congratulations to St. Johns under 21's by the way.  I was up at the game with my da and grandson.  I have to say I was really impressed with the St. Johns performance, they played some really nice hurling, but mindful this was a young Shamrocks side who were not up to the physicality of the St. Johns boys.

CitySlicker11

When is the next round and can we not be drawn at home?

country bumpkin

:-\
Quote from: bannside on June 21, 2015, 07:33:46 PM
Word on the street about the St Galls 3 not so good. One for Boston on Wednesday and another in a full scale verbal spat with top county official after the match yesterday. Antrim always good for a story.
Heard the same tale Bannside, and the verbals was a two pronged attack is alleged. As to the trip to Boston do not think such sanction will not be approved whilst still in the championship

hurlingstick

Quote from: getevennotcross on June 21, 2015, 07:48:53 PM
Lets keep things in context here.  The County Exec. and possibly Frank thought the team would be bate, as would most other Antrim people.  So, ok we beat Laois, is it not about time we chalked up a win (however meaningless)?  But lets get real here, next day could be back to the reality of where we sit in the pecking order among 32 other counties.

Congratulations to St. Johns under 21's by the way.  I was up at the game with my da and grandson.  I have to say I was really impressed with the St. Johns performance, they played some really nice hurling, but mindful this was a young Shamrocks side who were not up to the physicality of the St. Johns boys.

Cushendal

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2015, 09:20:51 PM
I heard today of a bit of a quarrel with Jim Murray in St Galls club. It came across as a Chinese whisper from a 20th hand source and details were vague so I took it with a pinch of salt.

That said, if one of those 3 players vented their frustrations at somebody on our county executive then fair play I say. They have been left to carry the can for a situation that should never have arisen. Players need to be supported by the county, not left in sticky situations as what happened this weekend.
Maybe the verbals weren't about that.  ;)

JimStynes

Antrim is great for a bit of scandal, one thing after another. It would make a great soap opera.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 21, 2015, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2015, 09:20:51 PM
I heard today of a bit of a quarrel with Jim Murray in St Galls club. It came across as a Chinese whisper from a 20th hand source and details were vague so I took it with a pinch of salt.

That said, if one of those 3 players vented their frustrations at somebody on our county executive then fair play I say. They have been left to carry the can for a situation that should never have arisen. Players need to be supported by the county, not left in sticky situations as what happened this weekend.
Maybe the verbals weren't about that.  ;)

Maybe they were
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea