Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Seriously tho, I think it could be a good approach having two very mobile players at mf - kickouts are less and less a hoofed ball to mf, and they could make hay on the ground. Time will tell I suppose

imtommygunn

What is Burke like pace wise? I've not seen much of him?

It's a big physical full back line him aside though I wouldn't be sure what would happen if there was a lot of pace in the FF line...

I guess Delargy / Laverty could be moved in if needbe. Laverty in HF an interesting one - shows a defensive move,

Going to be a very defensive setup I suspect!

On the plus side there are scores in that FF line.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2015, 08:26:52 AM
What is Burke like pace wise? I've not seen much of him?

It's a big physical full back line him aside though I wouldn't be sure what would happen if there was a lot of pace in the FF line...

I guess Delargy / Laverty could be moved in if needbe. Laverty in HF an interesting one - shows a defensive move,

Going to be a very defensive setup I suspect!

On the plus side there are scores in that FF line.

He's quicker than his brother!! but in all fairness he's been around county teams and the set ups right from under 12 so he'll fit in well (commentators curse) so  wouldn't as such look at him as a weak link in the fullback line......

If we can't go out there and have the mindset that we can't beat Fermanagh then we are doomed (I tell ya) the jersey and ground won't have the same pressure than the likes of Armagh and Omagh
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

We have the same chance as we had last year so we definitely have a chance. I think as most people I would be hopeful rather than optimistic.

I was asking on Burke as if he's as big as the brother the 3 of them boys make up a big full back line which could be good if there's a big full forward line - but there's no one there for a small quick forward!! (of which Fermanagh have a few)

culchie11

Looks to be a very defensive setup alright & i will be surprised to see cj (big fitness doubt), ryan murray & pollock all start.

mcbride & laverty are both good at carrying the ball from deep.

i thought hasson would have started as he played all national league games.

quigley would be a big fear for us, but mcveigh is the man to do a job there, delargy or tony could mark a sharp corner forward but if we play defensively they shouldnt have any space to cause any damage.

if we get a bit of luck a win is possible!

our minors have a strong squad also!!

imtommygunn

Is the minor team announced?? We would be favourites in the minors I suspect. We actually aren't bad in minor these days and Fermanagh are never good either.

culchie11

havent heard team but strong panel from what i seen in antrim post this week!

found it on county website:

Antrim Ulster Minor Football League Panel - 2015

Brogan Austin St Brigid's
Pat Branagan St. Mary's Aghagallon
Donal Carey Kickham's Creggan
Brendan Corr Gort na Mona
Niall Crossan Rossa
Caoimhin Daykin Eire Og
Pearse Downey St. Mary's Ahoghill
Odhran Eastwood St Enda's
Joseph Finnegan St Brigid's
Patrick Finnegan St Brigid's
Cameron Flynn Lamh Dhearg
Eamon Fyfe Con Magee's Glenravel
Christopher Gallagher Davitts
Ciaran Garland St John's
Andrew Hasson St. Mary's Rasharkin
Conor King St Brigid's
Conan Lyttle St Enda's
Daniel Martin Tir na Nog
Joe Maskey St Enda's
Cormac Murray Sarsfields
Gavin Murray St. Ergnat's Moneyglass
Barry McCormick Tir na Nog
Darren McCormick Tir na Nog
Conor McKenna St John's
Ben Rice Lamh Dhearg
Conor Small Kickham's Creggan
Conor Smyth St Teresa's
Conor Stinton St Gall's
Eunan Walsh St. Mary's Aghagallon
Gerard Walsh Rossa
Peter Webb St Brigid's

imtommygunn

Cheers culchie - couldn't find it.

Some decent players there and a few surnames we should recognise pretty well too.

Good spread of clubs.

brendanbelfast

There are a lot of those minors in their first year at U18, including all of the St Brigids contingent I think. This time next year they will be major players for us, maybe too early this year though will be interesting to see how the Finnegans get on if they feature.

Mickey Linden

Has the minor team been named?

bannside

Big shout out to all players and management of both teams tomorrow. We did the double last year and it's far from impossible to do the same tomorrow. Expect the minors to get the day off to a good start and that can be a great boost to the seniors.

See we are 4/1 in the senior game. That's a big price and I think it will be a lot closer than that especially if both teams set up defensively.

bannside

Firstly a big congrats to the minor management and players on a job well done.

Seniors will have their own post mortems.  We hung in with Fermanagh for a long time - at 55 mins we were just a point down. But the loss of a man went against us as space started open up for Fermanagh in the last quarter. We weren't disgraced and it wasn't by any stretch an eight point game.

The availability of any three or four from Mick, Niblock, Kobo, Aidso, big Niall, Tomas, Kelly, Burke, Magill would have been enough. There is not only 9 players missing but also nine experienced leaders. I understand there is a reason for each of their absences, but unfortunately we need to find some way of getting our county's best players on the pitch.

That's the problem. Finding the solution might take a bit longer!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on May 31, 2015, 10:45:18 PM
Firstly a big congrats to the minor management and players on a job well done.

Seniors will have their own post mortems.  We hung in with Fermanagh for a long time - at 55 mins we were just a point down. But the loss of a man went against us as space started open up for Fermanagh in the last quarter. We weren't disgraced and it wasn't by any stretch an eight point game.

The availability of any three or four from Mick, Niblock, Kobo, Aidso, big Niall, Tomas, Kelly, Burke, Magill would have been enough. There is not only 9 players missing but also nine experienced leaders. I understand there is a reason for each of their absences, but unfortunately we need to find some way of getting our county's best players on the pitch.

That's the problem. Finding the solution might take a bit longer!

What did you think of young Burke Bannside?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Conor Burke was outstanding MR2. Our best player on the day. At least we have found a true full back and he is only 20/21. Antrim have had a problem filling this position since Martin Mulholland.  So that's one positive to take from yesterday. Thought our defence overall was solid good for the best part. It was up front we were toothless and the ball wasn't sticking. Predicted this. Two words for the qualifiers. Niblock and Magill.

bannside

Two others very large plusses yesterday were in midfield for our minors. Write those two names down for the future.