Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Only one change for the Wickla game with Conal Kelly replacing the suspended Conor Murray.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on February 07, 2014, 07:27:29 PM
Only one change for the Wickla game with Conal Kelly replacing the suspended Conor Murray.

CJ still injured?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: AQMP on February 07, 2014, 07:27:29 PM
I think you can take the team announced with a pinch of salt...................certain to be changes, Niall Delargy, Sean Mc Veigh, CJ, and Tomas Mc Cann likely to start.

Hoof Hearted

Match moved to ahoghill according to Teletext
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AQMP

HT Ant 0-5 Wick 1-4. Seems CJ and T McCann did start.

AQMP

Good start to 2nd half Ant 1-10 Wick 1-6

AQMP

FT Antrim 1-13 Wicklow 3-9

Where the f**k do we go from here??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on February 09, 2014, 03:35:51 PM

Worst team in Ireland   :-[
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2014, 03:38:44 PM

U obv weren't at the game.

Great match actually.

CJ had pen saved that would've won the game, they then got goal and penalty. Tipsy turvy helter skelter game. 

CJ played v well hitting 6 from play.

Just unlucky. They are decent. I think we were better but we just didn't have the luck.

The ref doesn't have a clue regarding the black card. He gave one to Wicklow but should've given them at least 2 more. Crozier should've had one for us. Tripping and hauling a man back after he's past u are meant tO be black cards. Ref gave yellows when should've been black.

End to end match though, the boys really gave their all.
Just unlucky
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on February 09, 2014, 05:18:34 PM

Great match actually.

CJ had pen saved that would've won the game, they then got goal and penalty. Tipsy turvy helter skelter game. 

Just unlucky. They are decent. I think we were better but we just didn't have the luck.

The ref doesn't have a clue regarding the black card. He gave one to Wicklow but should've given them at least 2 more. Crozier should've had one for us. Tripping and hauling a man back after he's past u are meant tO be black cards. Ref gave yellows when should've been black.

Just unlucky

But if we are sitting at the bottom of div 4 then we are the worst in Ireland surely? If Antrim and Baker is serious then we should be top of the league (Div 4 :o) He's had plenty time and been here before and knows a lot of the players and the make up of the clubs and players. Surely with that experience behind him he'd know how to reignite a few wins against teams we should be beating in our own backyard.

Being there would have made no difference to the result I'm afraid, like a lot of Antrim men who didn't turn up it still wouldn't change the result, 3 goals isn't great to let in

Do you think that the black card lost us the game?

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2014, 06:06:15 PM
Quote from: Gold on February 09, 2014, 05:18:34 PM

Great match actually.

Just unlucky

But if we are sitting at the bottom of div 4 then we are the worst in Ireland surely? If Antrim and Baker is serious then we should be top of the league (Div 4 :o) He's had plenty time and been here before and knows a lot of the players and the make up of the clubs and players. Surely with that experience behind him he'd know how to reignite a few wins against teams we should be beating in our own backyard.

Being there would have made no difference to the result I'm afraid, like a lot of Antrim men who didn't turn up it still wouldn't change the result, 3 goals isn't great to let in

Do you think that the black card lost us the game?

Black card wasn't correctly used.

They brought on James Stafford~a huge man and put him at ff.

he caught the first ball that came in in his chest and swivelled and scuffed a shot that squirmed into the far corner. He then was fouled for a dubious penalty. Wicklow hoofed ball after ball in to their big ff line. They got the breaks.
We looked v good at times, CJ kicking over score after score on the turn as soon as he got ball. Economy of effort and looked class

Seanie Furlong is a handful for them as is Leighton Glynn.

We worked so hard all over we just started slowly and then were unlucky.

CJ side footed the penalty, I think u should lash them.

Very entertaining match. They had 2 penalties. Both ropey enough calls. First was nearly saved and could've been saved. They scored both. We missed ours. No luck
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rasharkin Gael

I always try and be positive with antrim football but I really didn't see any positives out of today's game. Defensively unorganised, a midfield with no creative ideas although plenty of ball, and apart from cj we looked very poor up front. Easy to blame the management but this group of players have had their chance, and then some. We cough up the ball in every tackle and once again our half forwards were completely lost. Similar to the Cavan McKenna cup game, though against a much more limited opposition in Wicklow. Build with short passing until we get to midfield and then we get stage fright and either turn back or just boot hopeful balls into a very static forward line. Cj was a class apart today, without him we would have been really embarrassed. More ideas when Ryan Murray came on. Big Niall won plenty of ball, but for his size and experience he brings very little penetration. Don't know where baker goes from here, but as some of his back room staff have suggested, he could hardly do worse than bring in a few new faces as some of our more experienced players have shown last season and this, either they don't have the hunger for county anymore or just not the ability.
Tough days ahead for antrim.
Ahoghill was in great shape though bloody freezing. Fair play to the clooney men on good organization and getting on with the job in difficult circumstances.

imtommygunn

I wouldn't fully agree with you rasharkin gael...

Pollock and mccann good in patches too. In the first half there was some good defending. Second half not so much though.pollock offensively mind and could be better tracking.

We have two boys in the centre of defense who are probably out of position. I would prefer to see crozier6, ricky johnston 3 and sweeney at 10. Midfield not mobile enough for this level. Mccann will improve that.

Really we got ourselves to a position we could and should have won from - that penalty went in and i doubt wicklow would have come back.We are traditionally weak at half forwards and it showed second half today with wicklow constantly surging. I think connor murray would improve that and would prefer sweeney further up pitch. Who else i don't know.

Don't get me wrong - very disappointing result but at the very least i hope we have identified places we need to work on and can improve for championship but there were some performances which were positive..

country bumpkin

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on February 09, 2014, 07:13:24 PM
I always try and be positive with antrim football but I really didn't see any positives out of today's game. Defensively unorganised, a midfield with no creative ideas although plenty of ball, and apart from cj we looked very poor up front. Easy to blame the management but this group of players have had their chance, and then some. We cough up the ball in every tackle and once again our half forwards were completely lost. Similar to the Cavan McKenna cup game, though against a much more limited opposition in Wicklow. Build with short passing until we get to midfield and then we get stage fright and either turn back or just boot hopeful balls into a very static forward line. Cj was a class apart today, without him we would have been really embarrassed. More ideas when Ryan Murray came on. Big Niall won plenty of ball, but for his size and experience he brings very little penetration. Don't know where baker goes from here, but as some of his back room staff have suggested, he could hardly do worse than bring in a few new faces as some of our more experienced players have shown last season and this, either they don't have the hunger for county anymore or just not the ability.
Tough days ahead for antrim.
Ahoghill was in great shape though bloody freezing. Fair play to the clooney men on good organization and getting on with the job in difficult circumstances.
Hear what u say Rasharkin but just who are those 'new faces' to be introduced who are going to light the Antrim fires and guide us through those 'tough days'. We have been quite pathetic at under age for a life time...........when was the last time we made any impact at minor or under-21 level ?Have a look at the club scene in the county and consider how far ahead of the rest are a couple of sides.
Sure we haven't fared at all well in our couple of games thus far but it is without any semblance of doubt that the Bradley's have the full backing of the players and i am more than confident that we will get better.
Incidentally judging on the vast knowledge within Antrim, which is quite evident in the most profound statements made on this site that we will not have to look far to replace the present management.

Dreen

My clubmate has some valid points on the game today but I don't agree with all in his post. I don't agree on your point bumpkin about us being pathetic at underage as being a barrier to finding more talent, as many of the current squad didn't achieve much at underage either.
There's enough points left to push for a good league finish and build for championship and see where the year takes us, I thought CJ and Tomas where plus points up front today and they got some good ball in the second half, 2 great balls in from Tony in particular. The 2 men back for both sides made that a tough task for both sides.  Baker and Paddy have the work to do and there's plenty of time to do it