Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 14, 2012, 10:45:37 PM
Can you imagine the traffic there would be on the hurling thread if the stick fighters beat Galway at their crude version of the ancient caman game?

Not one of the regular posters on that thread has had the good grace to post on here. Probably all supporting Galway if truth be told.

As for myself, still stuck on the mainland, what was the team today?

Antrim beating Galway in a hurling qualifier/championship is a big deal, Antrim beating Galway (Who haven't won a game outside Connacht in 10 years) isn't the same thing, so as a Derry man relax and wind your f**king neck in.

As for all the posters "supporting Galway", most North Antrim hurling folk have no interest in Antrim footballers so probably couldn't give two good ones how the game went, the same way people from SW Antrim have no interest in the hurlers.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 15, 2012, 01:15:57 AM
Can you imagine the traffic there would be on the hurling thread if the stick fighters beat Galway at their crude version of the ancient caman game?

Not one of the regular posters on that thread has had the good grace to post on here. Probably all supporting Galway if truth be told.

Antrim beating Galway in a hurling qualifier/championship is a big deal, Antrim beating Galway (Who haven't won a game outside Connacht in 10 years) isn't the same thing, so as a Derry man relax and wind your f**king neck in.

As for all the posters "supporting Galway", most North Antrim hurling folk have no interest in Antrim footballers so probably couldn't give two good ones how the game went, the same way people from SW Antrim have no interest in the hurlers.
Was there a match on today after the minor match?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Saffrongael on July 15, 2012, 01:15:57 AM

holy f**k, growing up it used to be taig/prod, black/white, man/woman - now its north derry/south derry, antrim footballer/hurler, etc, etc, is anyone ever going to agree ?

as i said before, today was my 1st cship match in the flesh as 6 years, and the support around me for antrim was fantastic, but, as they say, there's always one.........or several in thee days !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

I can't believe there are Gaels in Antrim who don't give a hoot about football. You're the one county who can adequately compete in both codes. Be proud of that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bannside

Saffrongael - your bang out of order.

SW Antrim GAA folk also love the game of hurling. Its played in at least half of the SW Antrim clubs, and at least four of them have supplied the occasional hurler to the county squad.

It may be the worst season in recent memory for the Antrim Hurling community, but the Football community dont take any pleasure in that at all.

In the meantime wind your neck in a bit and allow the long(er) suffering football follower to enjoy a win for a division three side against a division one side. Is that too much to ask?

Glensman

Quote from: bannside on July 15, 2012, 01:39:52 AM
Saffrongael - your bang out of order.

SW Antrim GAA folk also love the game of hurling. Its played in at least half of the SW Antrim clubs, and at least four of them have supplied the occasional hurler to the county squad.

It may be the worst season in recent memory for the Antrim Hurling community, but the Football community dont take any pleasure in that at all.

In the meantime wind your neck in a bit and allow the long(er) suffering football follower to enjoy a win for a division three side against a division one side. Is that too much to ask?

+1

imtommygunn

Some of you boys need to wise up. Some people like hurling and not football -so what. Just be happy.

Great day for the footballers -one of the biggest victories I've ever seen. still over the moon.

Next round will be tough but sure we were going to be beat out the gate last game too. Hoping for a home draw.

Sportacus

5 reasons why the footballers are improving:

1. Very few mis-placed passes
2. Very few bad wides
3. Tight at the back
4. Subs did well
5. United

5 areas to improve on:
1. Could we squeeze a full forward into our tactics
2. Will our tactics create goal chances?
3. Can we get a couple more forwards onto the score sheet
4. Free taking - out of the hands?
5. Let it go a bit quicker into the forwards

micko12368

Noticed on main GAA thread, a topic called ex county players still playing at an auld age. Any of our county auld boys still playing at senior level and whatt age are they now?

bannside

Oh we`re goin on the rip on the trip to Tipp!

Gold

Quote from: micko12368 on July 15, 2012, 11:48:11 PM
Noticed on main GAA thread, a topic called ex county players still playing at an auld age. Any of our county auld boys still playing at senior level and whatt age are they now?

Martin Mulholland still playing for Glenravel. What age would he be now? At least 40
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

Tipp is winnable but will be tough away. Players cant afford to be complacent just cause we beat Galway. Tipp, like us were in Div 2 for a year recently and are well organised and good on their day so it'll be tough. They also wrecked us in Ardfinnan in 2008 when we should've been promoted from Div 4 for the first time in years

Dont like the Down/Donegal draw but only consolation is that the loser will have the head down and little time to prepare. Sligo or Clare would have been better although Dublin Meath may have been worse
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

The down donegal draw is ok if it's Down... They're Marty Clarke and Caolan Mooney less this year plus Benny not as fit.

However we shouldn't think too far ahead... Tipp have some very handy forwards. It's a game we have to believe we can win but Tipp will feel that too so all to play for.

I'd prefer to see Magill on so we have a target in the FF line but I would expect more from Niblock when he isn't being marked by someone of the quality of Finnian Hanley.

If we defend like we did last week no reason why we can't win it.

Leave er in

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2012, 02:02:23 PM
The down donegal draw is ok if it's Down... They're Marty Clarke and Caolan Mooney less this year plus Benny not as fit.

However we shouldn't think too far ahead... Tipp have some very handy forwards. It's a game we have to believe we can win but Tipp will feel that too so all to play for.

I'd prefer to see Magill on so we have a target in the FF line but I would expect more from Niblock when he isn't being marked by someone of the quality of Finnian Hanley.

If we defend like we did last week no reason why we can't win it.

Agreed, great win and a good display but id prefer to see and out and out inside forward possibly magill, playing with although all very talented primarily 6 half forwards is always going to lead to limited number of scores.

Thought Marty Johnston had a great game for being relatively inexperienced, however as a team nobody let the side down.

To tipp we go

imtommygunn

Very strong on the ball Johnston considering he looks slight enough. Shook tackles well etc.

Especially defense we were good on saturday - I think Crozier is much better in the role he plays now too.

The reality is Baker draws so many men back it will never be too pretty but you have to do it to win sometimes.

Tough enough draw particularly with the away from home aspect but at this stage it's not a terribel draw for us either.