Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Our game was over by halftime, 14 points up and in truth i don't think Moneyglass trained at all for this match. no a tackle nor any sort of tactic seemed to be employed.

Cargin game was going exactly same way, bar a first minute goal from Lamhs they looked uninterested and devoid of any passion, skill or belief that they could beat Cargin, with 5 minutes to go they were  down and seemed to be heading towards the changing rooms. Up to this point Cargin controlled the match and should have been twenty in front but the 6 point cushion was still plenty until a hail mary ball into the forward line was caught and the shot from Brendan Herron squeezed into the net, that left 3 in it with 2 minutes to go.

after an exchange of points the Cargin goalkeeper caught a ball 15 yards out from his line and tried to hit a 50 yard pass to Mick McCann, a Lamhs man (Murray i think) intercepted it and kicked the ball towards the net hoping to beat the keeper. This shot was beautifully hit and came off the cross bar and ended up in the net along with the goalkeeper. Best goal ever!!

After that it a couple of points each then Lamhs won a few balls and managed to hit 3 in a row to win. after that they all fought on the pitch, was some craic!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Glensman

Only 1 in football so it's 3 times more competitive which suits me.

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on August 21, 2011, 03:09:44 PM
Quote from: Glensman on August 20, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2011, 09:43:07 PM
Big shock then, should we win on Sunday then its St Brigids. be a decent game

There's Kerry 'cute hoorism' and then there is that stuff MR2...if Brigids come within ten points of St Galls I'll eat my hat. With their usual league "team" out they appear to have hammered Brigids twice already this year and that will not change. Fact.

Took a spin up to Casement last night. Thankfully I've no allegiance to either team as they were both dire, thankfully for Brigids they were just 1 point less dire than St Johns. Whether the Johnnies had thought it was a foregone conclusion I'm not sure but hey just didn't turn up. As said Brigids will be happy to get into a semi beating a 'decent' team but that'll be as far as they go.

Saw that as well re the Johnnies man not kicking the ball into play and was never sure on that rule?! With the new rule of kicking the ball behind the line surely there is some merit to it never having gone into play?!
And what do you mean about the ten yards?? As in a player should be away from a free or that the ball should be brought forward?!

Anyhow Galls to beat Cargin in the final by 7. Away to the hurling board to talk about something competitive...!
Only three teams capable of winning that.

Milltown Row2

Started in the stands when they were level!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 06:25:24 PM

Cmon Milltown, give us a few more details?!?!?

Glensman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 06:25:24 PM

Was Jerome Quinn there? Or was it being videod? If it was the CCC must demand a copy and punish all players (from both sides) and if possible supporters involved swiftly and strongly.

This stuff has no place in our sport(s)... none whatsoever.

I am glad I didn't take my wee man to the games today...nothing like that to put someone off for life.

A stand needs to be taken and quickly.

Minder

Fighting in the stands is nothing new for Lamh Dhearg supporters.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Was nearly as bad as St Pauls and Cargin a few years ago
(was it 12/13?) That will be another two teams having to look for another pitch!!

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 07:34:41 PM
(was it 12/13?) That will be another two teams having to look for another pitch!!

2000 i think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Minder on August 21, 2011, 07:37:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 07:34:41 PM

2000 i think.
It was. Antrim had beat Down earlier that year in the championship. Then after that row there was a massive fall-out that probably cost Antrim an All Ireland in 2001

;) OK Maybe not

Milltown Row2

Here's my thoughts, for what it's worth.

I watched two games today and the standard was atrocious, Antrim football is crap. Hoofing the ball up the pitch and hoping to win a 50/50 ball is madness. The crazy thing is that the teams managed to play the ball out of defence and then they stopped, it was as if they ran into an invisible wall. The midfielders looked unfit and refused to work for the ball when they didn't have it. Let their men run by them and then tried to get them but too late. Didn't see any blocks at all, no support play from beyond midfield, it was depressing.

Cargin failed to capitalise on all their possession and even when they had it level late on didn't have the composure to win it ugly in the end, Tomas McCann missed a 21 yard free in front of the goals (had it went over i reckon the referee would have blown then) to level it late on. His balls literally dropped off and you could hear them from Milltown Row as they rolled down the hill

ManInBlackandGreen

Jesus Im sorry I missed this one from all accounts, Cargin doing what Cargin do best, however I believe that that the referee on this occasion must shoulder some of the responsibility (Not Blame) from what I understand and have heard, not dealing strongly with issues initially that began to break out, and stamping his authority on the game, he has a duty of control and should have issued cards when warranted. No wonder no-one invites Cargin to any tournaments who wants the hassle.

There will be no hiding though, wee Joe has it all on VT! Lets hope the CHC (Terrible and friends) has the balls to deal with what the CCC hand out, which should be substantial to both clubs.

imtommygunn

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on August 21, 2011, 09:22:20 PM
Jesus Im sorry I missed this one from all accounts, Cargin doing what Cargin do best, however I believe that that the referee on this occasion must shoulder some of the responsibility (Not Blame) from what I understand and have heard, not dealing strongly with issues initially that began to break out, and stamping his authority on the game, he has a duty of control and should have issued cards when warranted. No wonder no-one invites Cargin to any tournaments who wants the hassle.

There will be no hiding though, wee Joe has it all on VT! Lets hope the CHC (Terrible and friends) has the balls to deal with what the CCC hand out, which should be substantial to both clubs.
::)

Were many of the Lamh Dhearg minor team from last year playing?

The standard of club football in antrim is absolutely woeful. St Galls only mess around and win the c'ship at a canter. Cargin should be so much better than they are too - must be very frustrating to be a cargin supporter.

I don't understand how the county team is now a lot more competitive than it was yet the club football is so much worse. I guess it says something for Baker and what he has done.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2011, 09:41:08 PM
Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on August 21, 2011, 09:22:20 PM

::)

Were many of the Lamh Dhearg minor team from last year playing?

The standard of club football in antrim is absolutely woeful. St Galls only mess around and win the c'ship at a canter. Cargin should be so much better than they are too - must be very frustrating to be a cargin supporter.

I don't understand how the county team is now a lot more competitive than it was yet the club football is so much worse. I guess it says something for Baker and what he has done.

Think there was two of the lads playing, the big midfielder was playing but in truth was rubbish and never touched the ball, the number 5 for Lamhs was a minor i think, very good just lacking experience but that will come with a few more games under his belt.

Yes I'd be so pissed off if i was a Cargin supporter also

imtommygunn

It's a bit of a longer process to integrate good young midfielders into a senior team as it's so physical in there so plenty of time to come good yet.

The corner forward I'd thought would have been playing.

Are Creggan in semis? Creggan and Lamh Dhearg could be a tight enough game.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 08:30:01 PM
Here's my thoughts, for what it's worth.

I watched two games today and the standard was atrocious, Antrim football is crap. Hoofing the ball up the pitch and hoping to win a 50/50 ball is madness. The crazy thing is that the teams managed to play the ball out of defence and then they stopped, it was as if they ran into an invisible wall. The midfielders looked unfit and refused to work for the ball when they didn't have it. Let their men run by them and then tried to get them but too late. Didn't see any blocks at all, no support play from beyond midfield, it was depressing.

Cargin failed to capitalise on all their possession and even when they had it level late on didn't have the composure to win it ugly in the end, Tomas McCann missed a 21 yard free in front of the goals (had it went over i reckon the referee would have blown then) to level it late on. His balls literally dropped off and you could hear them from Milltown Row as they rolled down the hill

Literally?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet