Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

So many spots will be available via the lottery the rest will be made up with charities, that will be the only available entry into the race if you're unlucky enough to not get picked.

I know it's generally booked out most years but I'd say there are not too many disappointments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Smells of business trying to plunder what they can get, nice entry fee hike as well likely. Can't see the lottery system lasting as demand will fall after a few years ...so many other options of city marathons available now.

imtommygunn

Yeah it's a poor show.

Ty4Sam

Farcical decision! How does this work for club members looking to enter the National Marathon Championship, whether it is senior or a masters category? Surely you don't have to go through the ballot system if you have a chance of winning a national medal? At least London has GFA which allows these runners to enter that way.

imtommygunn

There is a GFA for athletics Ireland members.

The question is how does that work for athletics NI members as most clubs up here are just affiliated with athletics NI...

Ty4Sam

Are the times similar to London? Fair point regarding Athletics NI, surely they will be included in GFA.

imtommygunn

I am not sure re what the times are. I would have thought they'd be a lot less aggressive. London cranked up the GFA times the other year.

On the note of surely athletics NI would be covered noises are suggesting possibly not... I am not sure how well thought through this whole thing is.

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on October 29, 2019, 12:45:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2019, 11:11:30 AM
Dublin marathon has moved to a lottery system for next year :o
Seen that.
I was hoping to do it again next year which would be 3rd in a row and 5th time in 7 years,would be a shame to miss out after doing it so many times. Should be a system in place that if you have ran it a few times that you are guarenteed an entry or would that be asking too much?
I agree with the Bearded One also.I'm not sure there is even a need for a lottery. I apply for London every year along with 400k others for 50k odd spots.
I doubt Dublin,as good a race as it is, would have even 50k applicants
Well they must have been reading my post  ;D

Anyone who has ran it in past 3 years is now guaranteed an entry.

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1189875270280523778?s=19
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Just saw that. I don't think they thought this whole thing through very well. Still a big question mark on people up here and GFA etc.

dec

https://www.derrynow.com/news/county-derry-post/489624/father-and-son-world-record-breakers.html

A FATHER and son running duo from Co Derry have become world record holders.

Gulladuff man Tommy Hughes (59) and son Eoin (34) smashed the official Guinness World Book of Records' time for the fastest marathon ran by a father and son at the weekend.
The pair achieved the monumental title at Sunday's Frankfurt marathon Germany.
The runners, who only recently started training together, beat the current title holders Graham and Ben Green from Stockton, England by two minutes and 50 seconds after a combined time of 4 hours 59 minutes and 22 seconds.
But it seems the world is not enough for former Olympian Tommy who yesterday told the County Derry Post he already has set his sights on a few other potential record breakers.
"Next year I am 60 so I will be trying to run under 2 hours 30 (minutes), which would be nearly a world record for a 60 year-old," he said.
"If I can keep that time up next year it will also mean that for the last five decades I've been running under 2 hours 30, which I don't think anyone has done either.
"I also think we could get the marathon world record far lower, so we'll probably go back again next year too.
"No rest for the wicked."
Eoin, a dad-of-three who lives in Maghera, added: "It's a great achievement, my dad has always been a great runner so it's great to be a part of this with him.
"I knew it was possible and we got there.
"Now are just waiting on the official confirmation, which may take a while. They have to gather evidence, like pictures from us running the course.
"The hopefully we will make it into February's book."
Eoin only took up running at the age of 31 and regularly trains with his dad who runs a whopping 120 miles a week.
Said Tommy: "It was Eoin's idea to do the world record attempt, he had a brainwave and thought it was possible because we were both in top form.
"So Eoin decided we would have a go at Frankfurt because it seemed like a fast course, and he was right."
Although it is the first time that both Tommy and Eoin have made the headlines together, it is not the first time the electrician himself has made the news for his running achievements.
The Gulladuff grandfather has competed in the 1992 Olympic Games, won the Dublin marathon, the Belfast marathon twice and was even first over the line at the Walled City marathon in 2013, aged 53.
He is also gearing up to run for Ireland in a few weeks.
"I love running and it's great to be part of the running community. I've no plans to stop any time soon. I'll be doing it for as long as I can.
"These achievements are a bonus."

imtommygunn

Tommy Hughes is running sub 230 at I think 59 years old. It's unbelievable. I was told recently his age graded time (you can apply a weighting per age) is a 2:02 marathon aka world record.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 07, 2019, 03:19:48 PM
Tommy Hughes is running sub 230 at I think 59 years old. It's unbelievable. I was told recently his age graded time (you can apply a weighting per age) is a 2:02 marathon aka world record.

Some lads are shy with their times for Dublin this year!  :P

Going to gear up for one more, which major city doesn't have a lottery ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2019, 11:18:49 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 07, 2019, 03:19:48 PM

Some lads are shy with their times for Dublin this year!  :P

Going to gear up for one more, which major city doesn't have a lottery ?

;D ... made a complete balls of it, tbh I knew going in I wasn't where I would wanted to be and really only settled on a plan the night before, went out too hard for the first half (realised I was going harder than planned but ploughed on anyway). Struggled massively for the last 10 mile and got round in 4:19, about 30 min worse than the last time I done it 2017, worst thing about it is that I now have to do another one as I can't leave it at that!!

imtommygunn

Paul pollock 210xx in Valencia this morning. 2nd fastest Irish time ever and new ni record.

No1

Superb time.  Scullion will be raging!!