Ulster Workers Strike 2024

Started by trailer, January 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on February 03, 2024, 03:36:48 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 18, 2024, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 18, 2024, 10:58:59 AMBe interesting to know how many of those striking today are DUP voters and how many will vote for the DUP again.

The union trumps everything. The Unions anger is aimed squarely at CHH.
I think the unions need to tread carefully. This strike is pointless. Everyone agrees they need fair pay inc the UKG. So what is the point of the strike?
3 weeks down the line, I think it is fair to say it had some significance.

Well as we can see they are going out on strike again, so like I said.. pointless

Saffrongael

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2024, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 18, 2024, 10:58:59 AMBe interesting to know how many of those striking today are DUP voters and how many will vote for the DUP again.

I think the unions need to tread carefully. This strike is pointless. Everyone agrees they need fair pay inc the UKG. So what is the point of the strike?

Well as we can see they are going out on strike again, so like I said.. pointless

It's a negotiating tactic to accelerate an offer being made
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

red hander

We'd still be living under a feudal system and eating grass to survive if it was down to people like you.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: red hander on February 21, 2024, 04:34:48 PM

We'd still be living under a feudal system and eating grass to survive if it was down to people like you.
I have said on here before if your public sector job is so terrible just hand in your notice and move on somewhere else. No need to eat grass.

Armagh18

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2024, 08:57:11 PM

I have said on here before if your public sector job is so terrible just hand in your notice and move on somewhere else. No need to eat grass.
Good luck to you if you ever need a hospital then and all the workers have left.... Jesus Christ.   

trueblue1234

Yeah let's get into a race to the bottom for nhs staff. That will help things.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Duine Inteacht Eile

You might want to stop saying it because you're making yourself look stupid. What type of society aspires towards that for their public sector?
Lazy comments like that are beneath you, Tony.

bennydorano

200,000 public sector workers too. All just up sticks and look for better jobs??

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on February 21, 2024, 09:26:01 PM200,000 public sector workers too. All just up sticks and look for better jobs??

Certain areas of our Civil Service are bloated and inefficient. No one can deny this.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on February 21, 2024, 10:22:18 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 21, 2024, 09:26:01 PM200,000 public sector workers too. All just up sticks and look for better jobs??

Certain areas of our Civil Service are bloated and inefficient. No one can deny this.

For sure. But don't think the solution for nurses not getting paid enough is for them all to leave and get another job.

lurganblue

What sections do you believe this to be the case?

trailer

Quote from: lurganblue on February 22, 2024, 10:42:01 AM

Agriculture
Infrastructure
Communities

All employ far far to many people. Lots of Admin and client services people.

bennydorano

Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2024, 11:01:14 AM

Agriculture
Infrastructure
Communities

Wouldn't dispute it for a second, NI is a basket case, Public Sector jobs were always the way to keep stable employment levels during the troubles when private industry faced too much upheaval to really thrive. Its never really moved on from this and there's definitely no political will to rationalise it. It will only ever be genuinely tackled if a United Ireland came into being - imo.

trueblue1234

Quote from: bennydorano on February 22, 2024, 02:26:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2024, 11:01:14 AM

Agriculture
Infrastructure
Communities

Wouldn't dispute it for a second, NI is a basket case, Public Sector jobs were always the way to keep stable employment levels during the troubles when private industry faced too much upheaval to really thrive. Its never really moved on from this and there's definitely no political will to rationalise it. It will only ever be genuinely tackled if a United Ireland came into being - imo.
People have been leaving the civil service lately. In the past, this was unheard of due to the pay and benefits. Private salaries have not only caught up with but have surpassed the public sector. The problem this causes is that it's the better ones that are leaving.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LC

Moved in to the public sector a few years ago after 20+ years in the private sector.  Took a sizeable pay cut but joined mainly for pension, holidays etc plus less travelling.

No doubt about the public sector is full of a serious amount of arseh*les full of their own importance and would not last 5 mins in the private sector.  To them their job is crap but none of them will leave because they know if they went somewhere else they might have to work.

My 'welcome to the public sector' moment was when I asked one of my department members to do something one day and they turned around and said that it was not in their job description so they refused to do it.