Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

I dunno Itchy, you'd have to imagine they're a wee bit more seasoned and settled than us all the same. This could be the first of a few games that offer us a yardstick to measure where we're at currently. It being Meath you'd dearly love to bate the hoors out the gate but I've a feeling midtable is the extent of our capability and we might have to suck this one up and put it down to experience.

Would love a nice feed of humble pie after that prediction though, and leave the sour grapes to d'ryals - grapes with stones in them, naturally.

Westside

Every single pundit, review, internet post is tipping Meath. So much so that I'm believing it myself. This can only be a good thing for us.

This is the real test of where we are, I hope we absolutely tear into them. If they're as good as they think they are then they'll beat us but we should make them earn those two points.

Westside

Here, what's the story with Oisin Kiernan? Why did he move to Castlerahan? A former Meath Junior.... I'm dubious we might have another Nesty Smith on our hands.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 09, 2018, 10:00:52 PM
Every single pundit, review, internet post is tipping Meath. So much so that I'm believing it myself. This can only be a good thing for us.

This is the real test of where we are, I hope we absolutely tear into them. If they're as good as they think they are then they'll beat us but we should make them earn those two points.

Where does all this hype about Meath come from? Like what have they done at any level in recent times to warrant it. They've been a div 2 team for ages and couldn't get out. They are the 3rd best team in a poor province.  I hope their players believe this auld shite and as you say we tear into them. All any cavan man should need is to see that green jersey to get the blood pumping.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on February 09, 2018, 10:10:12 PM
Here, what's the story with Oisin Kiernan? Why did he move to Castlerahan? A former Meath Junior.... I'm dubious we might have another Nesty Smith on our hands.

Fell out with club. Both parents are from Cavan. Half of Ballinacree in Cavan anyway.

mrdeeds

There one change to 15 that announced.

Westside

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 10, 2018, 03:02:08 PM
There one change to 15 that announced.

Care to share?

Would have rathered play them tonight.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Itchy on February 09, 2018, 10:26:36 PM

Where does all this hype about Meath come from? Like what have they done at any level in recent times to warrant it. They've been a div 2 team for ages and couldn't get out. They are the 3rd best team in a poor province.  I hope their players believe this auld shite and as you say we tear into them. All any cavan man should need is to see that green jersey to get the blood pumping.

You'd hope the derby nature of it would level it out and as you say if we tear into them we might pinch it, but they tanked Clare and were very competitive against a Roscommon team likely to go up, and that formline makes their confidence justified I think. We've a very new look team sprinkled with experience but we're not far enough down the road for this test I think. But you never know and here's hoping!

Westside

Results today were perfect for us, such a pity our game couldn't go ahead. A win would have us topping the table. Heading to Cork in 2 weeks time will be a tough task and they look to be getting stronger as the league progresses. Still on the bright side, Mackey and Gearoid will have another week to get back to fitness and Enda Flanagan/Caoimhin Reilly will get a bit of a rest.

Division 2 is wiiiide open.

Itchy

I thought cavan hoganstand forum was bad but I've just read the Meath version and I've got a headache now. Hard to imagine it was possible by chance to get so many idiots in one place at the same time.

mrdeeds

No team named yet. Imagine couple changes anyway. Enda Flanagan probably out. Missed DIT semi. Pity for him after 2 3 in quarter from wing back. Galligan probably be in goals. Not sure how close Mackey, Johnson and McKiernan are to starting.

mrdeeds

Great result and if I'm honest never saw it coming. McVeety was MOTM for me. Even at end carried through tackles. Really like the look of David Philips. Old fashioned corner back. Gearoid looks mobile but usually does on heavy pitch. Caomhin Reilly is what we've needed for so long and with college football done should be even more energetic in future. Nearly safe I'd say and if we win against Cork we're looking up. Though Cillian Clarke played as well as he has in a long time and he done well at midfield breaking ball where Moynagh and Martin Reilly were very sharp. Holla goal unreal. The mark from Gearoid, the kick pass from Mackey and then the finish.

Westside

That was good for the heart. We're better than Meath, comfortably better on today's showing. Our big players are doing well. Caoimhin was fantastic again, the ball stuck almost every time. Gearoid and Mackey linked up well. Martin Reilly was excellent in defence. McVeety was quiet early on but had enough in reserve to make a few fantastic raids forward to ease pressure at the end.
I'd like to see a bit more from Magee. Moynagh needs to be fitter, Connolly was poor once again when he came on, Johnston would have been a better option to get an insurance score surely.
Overall though things look good. McGleenan didn't put a foot wrong today. His decision to stick with Clerkin seems a good one, hope he's fit again for next week.

On another note, the surface in Breffni is shocking. I know the weather has been rough but it looked like a bad club pitch today.

mrdeeds

Being an issue for a few years. It's past its lifecycle since being put down. It's finally being done after league and probably wil be out of use for rest of year.

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 11, 2018, 04:04:09 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 09, 2018, 10:26:36 PM

You'd hope the derby nature of it would level it out and as you say if we tear into them we might pinch it, but they tanked Clare and were very competitive against a Roscommon team likely to go up, and that formline makes their confidence justified I think. We've a very new look team sprinkled with experience but we're not far enough down the road for this test I think. But you never know and here's hoping!

Sweet sweet victory but like I said Meath are no great shakes. For some reason they suddenly thought they were but clearly they are not