Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Garrymore putting it up to Castlebar, 1-8 apiece. But Moran lucky not to get line by the sounds of it

macdanger2

1-11 each, late point from Jimmy Killeen to level it.

I see Breaffy won the league today as well beating Knockmore - anyone know why the Knockmore v Castlebar league match wasn't played?

macdanger2

Claremorris getting tanked in the other semi unfortunately, you'd have thought the third game in a week might have counted against Ballintubber

macdanger2

Ballintubber @ 13/8 for Sunday look like decent value, would have thought the odds would be almost evens

Farrandeelin

Good man mcdanger2. Now you know what it's like for me replying to my own posts! 😊
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Aye, it's a lonely aul furrow in here  :(

Mayo4Sam

Sounded like Castlebar stepped up to the mark in the second half
From what I've seen and heard of them this year they've come back to the pack though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Ballyhaunis are proposing that there be 16 teams in each division next year, broken into 2 groups of 8. Seamus Tuohy reckons something will have to be done with the Super 8s coming in. He even says 11 league games is too much!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 16, 2017, 11:34:21 PM
Ballyhaunis are proposing that there be 16 teams in each division next year, broken into 2 groups of 8. Seamus Tuohy reckons something will have to be done with the Super 8s coming in. He even says 11 league games is too much!

But we were told the Super (Duper) 8's was brought in to help the Clubs? Ask Zulu!

mrhardyannual

There is a great danger that club football at adult level in Mayo will be severely damaged if every decision taken about it is based on the needs of the county senior football team.

Before any decision is held on the format of competitions a serious attempt should be made to draw up a set of priorities for club football. This should include a decision on:

• The minimum number of competitive games a team should expect to play in a season.
    The ratio of league to championship games
    The value of divisional/secondary league/championships
    The relationship between league and championship placement
    The make-up and structure of senior, intermediate and junior championships
    The possibility of regional teams (not necessarily the current divisions) taking part in senior championship
    The timing of competions
    The balancing of club needs and county demands

mrhardyannual

Anybody involved in the discussions on league reform tonight?

galwayman

Not specific to Mayo club football, but I have always thought that the league competitions should proceed away all during the summer with or without county players.
Championship is a different ball game of course.
I know in Mayo in the past (possibly still now I'm not sure), there were designated starred rounds of the league where clubs have to field without their county lads. I don't see why all rounds can't proceed regardless. If a county lad is released to play because they need game time all well and good and if not so what? It is the secondary competition after all.
A club can't lose their senior/intermediate status by doing badly in the league anyway.

My own club is a small club. We had one player on the Galway panel in 2016 and would probably have been able to get league games cancelled as he wouldn't be available but we always chose to play without him regardless. The rest of the lads needed the games.
That same year another club twice refused to play us in the league because their own single county player would not be available to them.
Eventually when they refused to field for a third time we were awarded the points.
We wanted to play even though we would be without our own county player.
It just shows what you're up against trying to get these changes in place.

Until this happens the club player will always be a second class citizen.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 16, 2017, 11:58:58 PM

But we were told the Super (Duper) 8's was brought in to help the Clubs? Ask Zulu!
Help the clubs; me arse! ;D ;D
Those extra and unnecessary games are there to help reduce the revenue shortfall as attendances at intercounty games continue to drop.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Another all Ireland for Carnacon, congrats to them

MayoBuck

Well done Carnacon. Great way for Cora to sign off before Oz.

I see Westport and Belmullet are through to the u21 final. Westport's senior players did much of their scoring. Some of them are future county seniors no doubt.