players linked to AFL

Started by sam03/05, August 14, 2007, 12:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

I know there has been a post on pros and cons of players going to AFL. Does anyone know which players exactly have been linked.
I have heard a very strong rumour from oz that Kevin Dyas of Armagh has signed a deal with Brisbane lions and that Collingwood are also very interested in him. I have not saw anything about this at home. Anyone know anything about this?

The Real Laoislad

Conor Meredith of Laois is being sought after downunder.Hope he doesnt go as he is well over six foot and very strong which we don't have too many of in Laois football
You'll Never Walk Alone.

sam03/05

The lions also signed some Carlow player along with Dyas.

INDIANA

shane o rourke has lads scouts camping on his door step- hanley has already signed i believe and meredith is in the pipeline

orangeman

They're loking for the best and they are constantly on the look out.

Over the Bar

If they would like Kevin Hughes I'd chip in for the plane fare!

orangeman

That's a bit harsh over the bar ! He has been good - ok he was rubbish against Meath but it's hardly time to throw him out of the country. I see Killeeshil played well against Donaghmore at the weekeknd - it could have down to him !!!

Uladh

Tip of the iceberg chaps.

why woudn't the afl mine the target rich environment that is the GAA.

Keep any potential stars your county have under wraps!

Hardy

Spot on Uladh. I think this threat is hugely underrated by everybody, including our Gaaboard community, if we go by the majority opinion in recent threads on the subject. It's hard to know what we can do about it. The only thing I can think of is to keep the international series going, with a ban on poaching as a proviso for our agreement to continue. Even that might not work, and it would be  drastic cure, for me, as I 'd like to see an end to that annual festival of mutual loathing and thuggery, but if the alternative is that the GAA descends into becoming a nursery for the AFL (think League of Ireland as it relates to Premiership), we might have to take the lesser of two evils.

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on August 14, 2007, 01:24:35 PM
They're loking for the best and they are constantly on the look out.
Orangeman have you heard anything on the rumour they are after one of our young stars?

orangeman

They want anyone who could potentially make it including our up and coming talent - no direct approach however has been made in respect of any of the local players. But we should guard against them and look after what we've got.

Uladh

If this practice had been ongoing for say 20 years now, our games may never have seen the likes of canavan, mcdermott, McGeeney, thompkins, Downey, Moynihan, etc etc. to name just a few.

the difficulty is, no lad with any ambition for himself could turn it down. how could you?

magpie seanie

Quotethe difficulty is, no lad with any ambition for himself could turn it down. how could you?

I think the fact that its the other side of the world is the big deal. You'd find it hard to begrudge a young lad the chance though it would be an awful sickener for people involved at the coal face if this thing escalates.

inisceithleann

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2007, 02:32:26 PM
Quotethe difficulty is, no lad with any ambition for himself could turn it down. how could you?

I think the fact that its the other side of the world is the big deal. You'd find it hard to begrudge a young lad the chance though it would be an awful sickener for people involved at the coal face if this thing escalates.

The lads could go for the 2 years, if it doesn't work it out sure come home. look how many go to oz for at least a year travelling anyway. getting free accomodation and being paid for the luxury of playing sport everyday. impossible to turn down at the age of 18 IMO.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

the Deel Rover

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 14, 2007, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2007, 02:32:26 PM

The lads could go for the 2 years, if it doesn't work it out sure come home. look how many go to oz for at least a year travelling anyway. getting free accomodation and being paid for the luxury of playing sport everyday. impossible to turn down at the age of 18 IMO.

ye i agree with you inisceithleann most of these lads have been playing with their counties for 2 or 3 years allready, they have just finished school and they have been giving an unbeliavable (spl) oppurtunity to train as professional sportsman, unless they make it big like tadhg kennelly or jim stynes thery are more than likely come home because the wages aren't that great for a rookie.If they do come back it can only be a benifit to the county and they will be still be young 20/21 when they play, Look at  anthony tohill his spell in oz did him no harm.If they make it fair play to them they can make a livelyhood playing sport somethig most of us would love to do if we were talented enough.     
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001