Is the Northern GAA really offering gaelic games to our protestant neighbours

Started by Maximus Marillius, August 02, 2007, 08:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 02, 2007, 05:04:20 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 02, 2007, 04:14:20 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 02, 2007, 04:08:05 PM
On the same page if no one should find the use of a language offensive surely you'd have no problem with Ulster Scots?

I certainly dont find it offensive, I actually think its quite silly, more so an accent than a language.
But offensive? Absolutely not.

Do you actually think the Irish language genuinely offends some northern Protestants?

I for one have many Protestant friends (and a few, dare I say it, Unionist friends) and not only do some of them find the Irish language offensive - they also find the GAA intimidating! Can you believe that! These are people who can't understand how Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan play in the Ulster Championship - "Sure Ulster only has 6 counties."

How do you find a language offensive, that's a new one to me  ???
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

take_yer_points

The "debate" on it was some time ago but I remember a lot of it came from growing up in Belfast and driving through Catholic areas of Belfast and seeing things like Tiocfaidh ar la (or chucky ar la as is more common in parts of Belfast) and murals and things to that effect.

I guess maybe its an impression they have from growing up in Belfast that is just hard to shift!

As for finding it offensive, it was new to me at the time. Just got used to it now.

Doire abú

I agree more needs to be done to encourage Protestants to join the GAA. I'm not too sure exactly what could be done to encourage them, but a good start would be some sort of press release from the GAA totally contempting the abuse handed out to that young fella in Fermanagh recently.

I also think if some interest is shown, then perhaps Gaeilc Games could be tauagt in Protestant schools. Also I think it's a disgrace that Gaelic Games aren't played in integrated schools in the north. I know for a fact that the exclusion of GAA and the Irish language prevent a lot of Catholic children from joining intergrated schools. Even if they were optional parts of the curriculum it would be helpful. At the start I'm sure it would be mostly Catholic children taking up the option,but over time Protestant children will see their Catholic friends enjoy the sport and may well become involved themselves.

The Ulster Council in particular should perhaps set out a scheme or target for involving Protestants. After all it could only make future Ulster teams stronger in the future. Derry and Tyrone's population is about 33% Protestant, Armagh about 40%, Antrim about 65% and so on. They are all significant portions and surely the biggest untapped market (so to speak) the GAA has.

Imagine if the old saying of Fermanagh being bad at football because "Fermanagh's half water and half Protestant" could be reduced to Fermanagh's bad becasue they're "half water". ;)

armaghniac

One of the strengths of the GAA is that the guy playing today probably has two grandfathers who won the championship in 1926. The continued involvement of certain people and families means that it is easier to work with these "GAA people" than reach out to others. This is a real problem for the association in urban areas and where there are more immigrants. Even leaving aside bigotry clubs in the 6 counties are inclined to carry on as they have always done, so might benefit from some encouragement for promotion.

Unionists by definition wish to disassociate themselves from Ireland and anything seen as being Irish, so you may not get a great response from any promotion. However the GAA needs to say you are welcome to come, even to people who don't want to come. County boards in the 6 counties need a policy to ensure that state schools are involved, that fixtures are noted in newsletters of protestant churches and so on. This might be slow process, but the GAA needs to do it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on August 02, 2007, 01:30:07 PM
You have to have lived here to fully understand - do catholic schools play rugby and soccer - answer - YES
Do protestant schools play gaelic football and hurling - answer - NO

Actually, you'll find that relatively few Catholic schools play rugby - at least in the western counties (i live in the north and went to school here). It's a big loss to Ulster rugby in the same way that protestants are a big loss to GAA in the six counties - can you imagine the strength of Tyrone and Armagh panels if all the schools in these counties played GAA?
Segregated education is one of the main contributing factors to this and is therefore not something the GAA can sort on its own.

I for one have many Protestant friends (and a few, dare I say it, Unionist friends) and not only do some of them find the Irish language offensive -
Your friends are, in this regard, either ignorant, bigoted, or both.

Also, Nicky Brennan has already started to do his bit of outreach work - see here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6389043.stm

At the end of the day, a lot of it comes down to attitudes and ignorant, narrow-minded rednecks. The GAA as an organisation can only do so much. This is a problem for society in general in the north.

BallyhaiseMan

in defence of our  fellow Ulster Gaels in the 6 counties,they arent the only ones who can improve....i can only comment on Cavan,but theres no GAA in the few protestant national schools within the county and theres no GAA programme in the Cavan Royal School in Cavan Town.Its something that has to be improved upon nationwide,
all Protestant national/secondary schools should be approached by the GAA within the county about starting a Gaelic Footbball/Hurling programme.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteHow do you find a language offensive, that's a new one to me

maybe they were forced to read Peig.

Orior

I think Maximus has a point here. But if the state primary schools turn GAA reps away, it has to be worked through the Sports Council.  How was rugby introduced into schools like St Colmans College?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

You have to have lived here to fully understand - do catholic schools play rugby and soccer - answer - YES
Do protestant schools play gaelic football and hurling - answer - NO

Me - I blame the catholic church for a lot of our ills - they have created a system of separatism and division and above all else CONTROL - If we were all educated together we wouldn't have these silly mindsets ! The GAA traditionally reinforced this with too much respect given to the clergy - who'll be in the good seats on All Ireland day ? All the priests, bishops etc.
GRIPE OVER !!

That has to be the stupidiest thing I've read all week, you tosser! Blame the church? catch a grip you w**ker.
Tbc....

oakleaf stateside

Peter whitnel is a hun with an allireland medal with doown in 91. he played full forward and wat a handfull he was
Dont Do It

Hardy

And you are an illiterate creep. Take that shite down or I'm reporting you to admin.

Maximus Marillius

Gaoth Dobhair Abu...your a bit sore on Orangemen....would you like to explain why its the stupiest thing you have rwead all week. The suggesting that keeping the primary scholls seperate maintains a secterian divide is not that foolish.....to completey blame the catholic church is not entirely right, but there is a small element of truth in it?

baoithe

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 02, 2007, 07:39:49 PM
QuoteHow do you find a language offensive, that's a new one to me

maybe they were forced to read Peig.

:D :D

orangeman

Thank you for kind comments Gaoth Dobhair - and thanks to Wolfe Tones man for defending me - Gaoth Dobhair wouldn't fully understand the situation living in splendid isolation up there - and it's nice to see you stand up for your religion - but you don't live in Northern Ireland and you're not familiar with the system here - so before you start insulting people at least ask a question or two and your mind may be broadened.

Tankie

Quote from: orangeman on August 03, 2007, 10:19:20 AM
Thank you for kind comments Gaoth Dobhair - and thanks to Wolfe Tones man for defending me - Gaoth Dobhair wouldn't fully understand the situation living in splendid isolation up there - and it's nice to see you stand up for your religion - but you don't live in Northern Ireland and you're not familiar with the system here - so before you start insulting people at least ask a question or two and your mind may be broadened.

It this not the problem up there 'Religion', get over yourselves lads, i'm sure hardly any of these so-called prods or cat's even go to mass. But in fairness What the hell does religion have to do with the GAA. the real issue is Nationalist and Unionists - and the way i see it there is not a chance in hell that Unionist are going to start playing GAA and i dont expect the GAA to start changing rules just so they can play!
Grand Slam Saturday!