Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty_mcd

I think this match is undoubtably the tie of the Quarters, i have been to the last 3 matches that the Dubs played in Croker (before you say anything, the other half is a Dub).  The 2nd Meath match was of a good standard, but both the laios and in particular the Offlay match, were very dissappointing.  On both occasions, Dublin ran and ran in the first half, when it came to the last 25 mins of the game there was something very interesting about the Dubs.  They seemed to lay back, i mean they were just strolling round the pitch, sure i think it was 15 mins without a score in the offlay match!!

In my opinion if the boys (Doire) can keep up with the Dubs intensity at the start of the match, there will come a peroid were they will lay back and start to scratch themselves, that is when derry really need to pounce!

Also, do you think it will be a physical game??

his holiness nb

I think you will see more players trying to wind the Dubs up given the controversy over their reactions to this in the last game.

And I think it will be physical but not dirty, hard hitting but fair.
Ask me holy bollix

DUBSFORSAM1

Bogball.....

Ex Girlfriend is from Derry but still go to all their games with her....Will be a very interesting game alright....
Thought against Laois they were lucky that:
1 - Laois forwards were just midgets and couldn't kick the ball in long and they few times they did they caused problems...
2 - The ref certainly helped Derry out..but the better team won...
3 - They left Tom Kelly on Bradley...

Dublin won't pull out of tackles like Laois did, they will be far more physical in the contest for the breaking ball, they will be a lot better in midfield and will be physically able to handle the Derry players....

Griffen on Devlin, Henry on Gilligan should go in Dublins favour...
McConnell on Bradley advantage Derry
Casey on Muldoon advantage Derry
Cullen on Murphy, Cahill on Lynch advantage Dublin....

loughshore lad

Derry will be well capable of beating the Dubs and will not fear playing them, the qualifiers has allowed them to build a team and work on the weak areas of their game. It was all doom and gloom for them after Monaghan (who have subsequently shown they are a top outfit) beat them but Monaghan dominated the game and only beat Derry by a point or 2. The Derry defence will be capable of holding the Dubs attack, while expect Doherty to be more than a match for Whelan in the middle. If Muldoon is on song Derry are in with a great shot.

DUBSFORSAM1

Loughshore....

Laois scored 2-10 against that Derry defence and could have had more..and the Dublin attack is a lot more potent and an awful lot stronger physically....Docherty may match Whelan but Ryan will have a field day I would predict

loughshore lad

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 30, 2007, 10:18:40 AM
Loughshore....

Laois scored 2-10 against that Derry defence and could have had more..and the Dublin attack is a lot more potent and an awful lot stronger physically....Docherty may match Whelan but Ryan will have a field day I would predict

I am not convinced about the Dubs attack, take out Alan Brogan and Keaney and they will stuggle for scores. McCloy I imagine will pick up Keaney and will suit him, Lockhart will probably pick up Brogan and would be more than capable of holding him. Throw into the mix Michael McGoldrick who is an excellent player and the returning Kevin McGuckin who is a real class act and I think Derry will be fit for them. Tyrone have shown in recent meetings against the Dubs they can be stifled and Derry will not fear playing them or been found wanting in the physical stakes. Ryan could do damage for the Dubs but then again Muldoon on his day could cause havoc also if Derry give him the free role he excels in.

Marty_mcd

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 30, 2007, 10:31:23 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 30, 2007, 10:18:40 AM
Loughshore....

I am not convinced about the Dubs attack, take out Alan Brogan and Keaney and they will stuggle for scores. McCloy I imagine will pick up Keaney and will suit him, Lockhart will probably pick up Brogan and would be more than capable of holding him. Throw into the mix Michael McGoldrick who is an excellent player and the returning Kevin McGuckin who is a real class act and I think Derry will be fit for them. Tyrone have shown in recent meetings against the Dubs they can be stifled and Derry will not fear playing them or been found wanting in the physical stakes. Ryan could do damage for the Dubs but then again Muldoon on his day could cause havoc also if Derry give him the free role he excels in.

Well you can't argue with the stats, it is a wee bit worrying that Laois were able to run so easily through the derry defence to score the 2 goals, its something that the derry management have to address, i don't think that they have missed it tho. 

DUBSFORSAM1

Loughshore

Well I thought McCloy looked in trouble a number of times under the high ball and there were also a number of times that they let guys in behind them but Laois never kicked the ball in....Keaney will still score a number of points on him like he did to Darren Fay...

Brogan v's SML will be a good battle but I still see Brogan getting a couple of points...

Throw in Vaughan, Brogan also and I can see Dublin scoring enough....Against Tyrone Dublin still kicked good scores 1-14 in each game but Tyrones forwards scored more....I don't think Derry have the forwards like Tyrone did of O'Neill, Mulligan, Dooher, Canavan etc at the height of their powers....

In the 2 games where Derry played a team that where physically powerful - Armagh/Monaghan they struggled to score and I believe that will happen also against Dublin........you will not see Derry players bursting through tackles against Dublin or easily stopping Dublin players like they did to Laois...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mc_grens on July 29, 2007, 08:19:07 PM
I'm going to stick with my now traditional pessimism on this one, its served me well all summer. Usually as soon as I start to get excited Derry stick the knife in my chest.
Back me up here Lynchbhoy.
I cant f**king wait though.
yer actually being too optimistic there McGrens

I can see Barry Gillis being replaced before HT with all the kick outs he's going to have to take from Dublin scores.
As we know Dublin forwards are too strong and quick for the old/small/bald Derry defence.
Midfield, no one outside of Derry has even heard of Doherty and Conway - Will have to bring back all six forwards to try and help mark Whelan.
Paul Murphy was in a body cast yesterday and wont be fit again until 2012. Paddy bradley might not play after falling out with the bus driver on the way home as he wasnt allowed to bring his carry out onto the bus.
Conleth Gilligan's parents refuse to let him cross the provincial border any more after the last time he did , ended up with him getting sick in mosney.
Derry's lucky run will finish in croke park. The whole footballing world will wait in eager anticipation for Dubs v kerry.

I cannot fecking wait myself for the game and Paddy crozier has demonstrated a willingness to learn and change tactical style that I previously thought he did not posess. Fair play to him.

Sure I may as well get a ticket and head over the the match to at lease see how badly beaten Derry get !  ;)

his holiness nb

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2007, 10:50:43 AM
Conleth Gilligan's parents refuse to let him cross the provincial border any more after the last time he did , ended up with him getting sick in mosney.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ask me holy bollix

Marty_mcd

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 30, 2007, 10:50:43 AM
Sure I may as well get a ticket and head over the the match to at lease see how badly beaten Derry get !  ;)

Don't forget to bring a good warm coat with ya, the weather forcast is giving heavy snow in and around the hill 16 area  ;)

DUBSFORSAM1

Lynchboy - Haven't seen any comments about the Derry defenders being bald or old... ;D

and some of us have seen a lot of them also and still are convinced Dublin will win!!!  ;)

Star Spangler

DubsforSam, who are you actually trying to convince?  ;)

DUBSFORSAM1

Doesn't take a lot to convince me we can beat Derry  ;D