Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

The red flag to the bull was the fact Snarlene said that there would be no ILA on her watch. SF just gona make her eat her words and i for one say "go for it"

Avondhu star

Quote from: Hereiam on February 14, 2018, 04:10:58 PM
The red flag to the bull was the fact Snarlene said that there would be no ILA on her watch. SF just gona make her eat her words and i for one say "go for it"

So it looks like a fight to the death between Snarlene and Hyacinth
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

red hander

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 04:14:57 PM

So it looks like alight to the death between Snarlene and Hyacinth

And he's advising other people to get educated  ::) Another razor sharp thrust from the board's resident idiot

manfromdelmonte

Sinn Fein are silly

drop the roadsigns issue. allow schools to teach Irish if they wish.
get the assembly back up running.
christ almighty.

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 14, 2018, 04:32:41 PM
Sinn Fein are silly

christ almighty.

This road signs is bollix. If you're a Gaeltacht area, yes. Otherwise, no.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 14, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 14, 2018, 02:08:45 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 01:52:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 14, 2018, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 14, 2018, 01:25:22 PM
For what it's worth, bilingual road signs (when the second language is Gaeilge) are more costly to create. There must be tens of thousands of signs across Ireland that declare Rampaí, which means signs are bigger and need more ink.

More importantly, the increased levels of text involved in bilingualism decreases the legibility of those signs, and therefore decreases their ability to deliver information instantaneously. As such they could be perceived as a distraction to drivers.... and therefore make driving more dangerous.

The opposite might apply in somewhere like Croatia, whereby their influx of tourists undoubtedly struggle with the unusual characters in their lanaguage, and providing an English language version of the message helps prevent tourists from slowing to a stop at junctions and roundabouts.

But in Ireland, where every single person who speaks Irish also speaks English, and tourists have no understanding of Irish, I do believe it's an unnecessary distraction.
The cost to the economy is minimal. DiffereNT languages have different fonts. English is in capitals. There are no coherent arguments against bilingual road signs imo.

Unionists do not want any visible sign of Irishness in their little corner of England Mar dhea.

Nationalists dont want the Orange Order with their symbols of British culture marching through Nationalists areas but you think the Unionists should have symbols of Irish culture in Unionist areas.

Are you seriously comparing the OO with the Irish language? That's the sort of sh!te that goes on. One is a language. The other is a sectarian organisation. But you see them as equal. Jesus wept.   
Unionists will say that sf is a sectarian organisation. Neither side will concede anything and are happy to play dog in the manger

They are a political party. But anyway, that's neither here nor there. I wouldn't compare SF to the Irish Language either.
Being a political party doesn't stop them being sectarian no more than DUP.
I didn't compare the O.O. to the Irish language. Icompared their symbols, flags banners as British symbols where Nationalists could use Road signs in Irish as Irish symbols

I never said SF aren't sectarian (Nor that they are either), but I did say that the Irish language and by extension Irish road signs are not sectarian. That's my point.
There are loads of everyday British symbols in everyday life and we aren't clammering to get rid of them. We're not asking for the English language to be taken of the signs and replaced by Irish. (By the way, I couldn't care less about having Irish road signs but Nationalists should not be the only one compromising anymore. The day of Unionist veto's has to end).

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 14, 2018, 04:32:41 PM
Sinn Fein are silly

christ almighty.
The unionists are fighting against the dying of the light
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

red hander

Quote from: Dire Ear on February 14, 2018, 04:33:05 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-43064009
no deal

Fine. Let demographics and Brexit take care of the rest. Arlene Foster is playing such a blinder that surely she must be a Sinn Fein plant.. Tiocfaidh ar la!

yellowcard

The DUP have made Teresa May look foolish twice now. The fact that her and Varadkar flew over to Dublin on Monday would give the impression that they either expected a deal or thought that they could push a deal over the line. Neither happened. Most nationalists would like to see an assembly up and running to provide some form of local governance in the short term but deep down I don't think many are overly bothered about Stormont. Arlene Foster has overseen a litany of mishaps, collapsed deals and broken promises under her tenure. She is being led by the bottom up instead of taking risks and showing real leadership from the top down. 

haranguerer

Quote from: BennyCake on February 14, 2018, 03:42:14 PM
Jesus what a bunch of w**kers up here.

Why don't both give the other what they want, and in turn they win themselves in the long run.

SF agree to DUP requests - shows unionists that theyd be accommodated in a UI
DUP agree to SF requests - shows nationalists theyre better off in UK, and SF would have nothing to complain about. Support for a UI would diminish.

SF are pushing the ILA so far unionists will despise anything Irish even more (if thats possible) than they do already. And vice versa.

I honestly think Stormont is all about the few in both parties, lining their own pockets, feeding their egos. They don't give a flying fcuk for anyone in this hellhole. But all this shite filters down from Stormont into the general population making it an intolerable cesspit for the ordinary joe.

ffs. Where have you been living your lifetime? at what point does it stop? Nationalists were supposed to have equality - do they? There not being open state-sponsored discrimination is a long way from equality, and its the least that's deserved. The ILA is the vehicle that demonstrates the DUP have no interest in equality - thats how it has gained such prominence. Wake up and look around before falling into the claptrap being repeated by unionists claiming to talk sense. This isn't supposed to be their NI any more, its supposed to belong to all of us. I can see why they find it hard to give up power they've held for decades, i fail to see how you are ignorant enough not to recognise what is really going on here.

Syferus

It has to start in the first place for it to be able to stop.

AQMP

Quote from: red hander on February 14, 2018, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on February 14, 2018, 04:33:05 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-43064009
no deal

Fine. Let demographics and Brexit take care of the rest. Arlene Foster is playing such a blinder that surely she must be a Sinn Fein plant.. Tiocfaidh ar la!

You couldn't make it up. 

To be fair one thing the DUP are good at is leading the media by the nose.  They briefed journalists over the weekend that a deal was in the offing.  Journos fall all over themselves to say it's imminent, and Leo and Theresa buy the BS.  What they were doing was running a possible deal up the flagpole to see how the knuckle draggers would react.  The grassroots, OO and Jamie Bryson say NEVER and the deal is fecked.

Avondhu star

Quote from: red hander on February 14, 2018, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on February 14, 2018, 04:14:57 PM

So it looks like alight to the death between Snarlene and Hyacinth

And he's advising other people to get educated  ::) Another razor sharp thrust from the board's resident idiot
Did Nurse open your strait jacket to let you at the magic machine for a while?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

red hander

Quote from: yellowcard on February 14, 2018, 04:51:25 PM
The DUP have made Teresa May look foolish twice now. The fact that her and Varadkar flew over to Dublin on Monday would give the impression that they either expected a deal or thought that they could push a deal over the line. Neither happened. Most nationalists would like to see an assembly up and running to provide some form of local governance in the short term but deep down I don't think many are overly bothered about Stormont. Arlene Foster has overseen a litany of mishaps, collapsed deals and broken promises under her tenure. She is being led by the bottom up instead of taking risks and showing real leadership from the top down.

They bum and blow about the power of their 10 MPs at Westminster, but it's completely built on sand. If May fucks them over by backing down to the EU over special status for the putrid statelet after Brexit what are they gonna do? Pull the government down and let Corbyn in, who utterly despises them? And where's the £1bn they were crowing about. Next to nothing has been delivered on that front. They are like a wee kid closing his eyes, covering his ears and screaming No No No No No No No. The crocodiles have awakened thanks to the DUP and have realised loyalists will never treat the native people of this part of the island as equals, so they're going to use their mandate to bring the artificial shithole to an end once and for all. Paisley saw what was in the wind, so did Robinson, that's why they attempted to moderate their approach, but both fell to the bigots of their party, loyalism and the Orange Order. They just don't realise, or are too stupid to see, that the dam has cracked and the hole is only gonna get bigger. It's endgame, and when history is written we will have a thoroughly mediocre solicitor from Irvinestown to thank for a lot of it  :)