Who will stop this Dublin team from 4, 5, 6 or more in a row?

Started by Muck Savage, September 19, 2017, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2017, 07:08:41 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 23, 2017, 04:20:02 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2017, 02:09:43 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 23, 2017, 01:27:38 PM
THe 2016 census showed modest increases in all counties bar Mayo but don't let that fool you. The flood of non-nationals moving into all parts of Ireland during the period 2011-2016 brought up the figures and masked the drop of in the native populations of those counties. Dublin grows bigger and stronger while the western seaboard is losing ground all the time and the GAA membership reflects this in both instances, rural downwards and urban upwards.

Tut, tut... you mean non-Irish nationals surely? Or are you stating that these individuals are nationals of nowhere? :P
Fear, you are having a really sloooow day!
You should know that in common parlance, the term I used means what I meant it to mean, if you know what I mean.
Most of us are bright enough to know that those non Irish nationals are natives of some country and it's tautology to emphasise that fact.

I hear you Lar, loud and clear, however this non-national is a lazy negative term that sickens my hole: why not something positive like overseas national? In these xenophobically febrile times there are too many boneheads just chomping at the racist bit to denigrate our fellow travellers with anything that denotes a substandard status, we should not indulge!

And tough, tough luck on Sunday last a chara ;)

Young people with connections abroad are playing Gaelic games throughout the country. Last Sunday we saw young Devidas Uosis perform at the highest level for the Kerry minors.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

THe 2016 census showed modest increases in all counties bar Mayo but don't let that fool you. The flood of non-nationals moving into all parts of Ireland during the period 2011-2016 brought up the figures and masked the drop of in the native populations of those counties. Dublin grows bigger and stronger while the western seaboard is losing ground all the time and the GAA membership reflects this in both instances, rural downwards and urban upwards.

Tut, tut... you mean non-Irish nationals surely? Or are you stating that these individuals are nationals of nowhere? :P

What about non-EU nationals in a few years time?

Lar Naparka

You should know that in common parlance, the term I used means what I meant it to mean, if you know what I mean.
Most of us are bright enough to know that those non Irish nationals are natives of some country and it's tautology to emphasise that fact.

I hear you Lar, loud and clear, however this non-national is a lazy negative term that sickens my hole: why not something positive like overseas national? In these xenophobically febrile times there are too many boneheads just chomping at the racist bit to denigrate our fellow travellers with anything that denotes a substandard status, we should not indulge!

I'd like to thank you for your commiserations which have been received in the manner in which they ere extended. Indeed, since my Armagh fans tell me that there are still search parties out trying to round up the remaining survivors of your last experience with the Dubs, it was touching that you thought of us.
If any of this sickens your hole, you should try and stop wiping it  with sandpaper, which I believe you must be doing at the present. There's no other obvious reason for for your latest irrational outburst. ;D
Now, to the best of my knowledge, Ireland, including Tyrone unfortunately, is an island. It's logical, to the rest of the island anyway, that, in order to get here, one must travel overseas so an "overseas national" in the present context, has to be a non-national.
If you look hard enough, using overseas national in the present context is a bit of an oxymoron. In other words, a Tyrone man without the "oxy."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 23, 2017, 08:43:20 PM
If you look hard enough, using overseas national in the present context is a bit of an oxymoron. In other words, a Tyrone man without the "oxy."

Your commendable attempt at Flann O'Brienesque humour is just that, commendable...and equally nonsensical. Unless of course you also subscribe to that dyed-in-the-wool Blueshirt 26-County mentality, where we 6 county buachaillí are unworthy-- not altogether impossible I suppose, though I doubt it. ;)

So getting back to it, quit the glibly pejorative labelling, and never be worrying about your oul tautologies. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 23, 2017, 08:00:52 PM

Young people with connections abroad are playing Gaelic games throughout the country. Last Sunday we saw young Devidas Uosis perform at the highest level for the Kerry minors.
Hadn't their U17s a white South African chap whose club is An Ghaeltacht? ?!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2017, 09:29:44 PM

You could add in Shairoze Akram too, the first Pakastani-born player to win an All Ireland medal. For those not in the know, he was on Mayo's U21 side that beat Cork in the final. I'm told he's a cert for a place on the senior Mayo panel next year.
There are bound to be many others throughout the land but are still only a tiny fraction of the numbers playing Gaelic. As well as that, the probability is that those the kids who arrive in this country will  have played soccer beforehand. Left to their own devices, they are likely to opt for soccer - as a first choice anyway.

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 23, 2017, 10:49:02 PM

You could add in Shairoze Akram too, the first Pakastani-born player to win an All Ireland medal. For those not in the know, he was on Mayo's U21 side that beat Cork in the final. I'm told he's a cert for a place on the senior Mayo panel next year.
There are bound to be many others throughout the land but are still only a tiny fraction of the numbers playing Gaelic. As well as that, the probability is that those the kids who arrive in this country will  have played soccer beforehand. Left to their own devices, they are likely to opt for soccer - as a first choice anyway.

Pakistan-born, Roscommon-raised, with a Roscommon accent to match..

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2017, 11:42:04 PM

Pakistan-born, Roscommon-raised, with a Roscommon accent to match..
Well, nobody is perfect and in spite  of those considerable drawbacks, he's gonna be the next Andy Moran.  ;D

thejuice

We've seen it before where teams look invincible but suddenly with a few retirements they just aren't the same after. What happens to this Dublin team when Cluxton retires. I know they'll still be talented but take away a few of the key players, in those really tight games will they be able to stay composed. They'll probably still be competitive for the foreseeable future but I think someone is going to surprise them when they're coming off their peak. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on September 24, 2017, 11:18:56 PM
We've seen it before where teams look invincible but suddenly with a few retirements they just aren't the same after. What happens to this Dublin team when Cluxton retires. I know they'll still be talented but take away a few of the key players, in those really tight games will they be able to stay composed. They'll probably still be competitive for the foreseeable future but I think someone is going to surprise them when they're coming off their peak.

They keep winning AIs. When talking about sudden retirements, you're focusing on the wrong AI finalist..

macdanger2

Actually not even the first Pakistani born player to win an all Ireland medal for Mayo!! There was a hurler who won an U16 C all Ireland back in the noughties who was Pakistani born

thejuice

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2017, 11:21:13 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 24, 2017, 11:18:56 PM

They keep winning AIs. When talking about sudden retirements, you're focusing on the wrong AI finalist..

I'm not saying Cluxton or anyone on that team is retiring this year but they will eventually and also you have to remember that nothing can take away a teams hunger for success than success itself. It might not happen to this team but it might happen to the coming generation. We experienced this in Meath where we as a county lost the hunger for it in the nineties and we collectively took our eye off the ball. Within a decade a load of teams had over taken us and we've never been the same since. The next generation of Dubs might not have the bitter taste of defeat in their mouths as much as the current lads had growing up.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 23, 2017, 08:43:20 PM

Your commendable attempt at Flann O'Brienesque humour is just that, commendable...and equally nonsensical. Unless of course you also subscribe to that dyed-in-the-wool Blueshirt 26-County mentality, where we 6 county buachaillí are unworthy-- not altogether impossible I suppose, though I doubt it. ;)

So getting back to it, quit the glibly pejorative labelling, and never be worrying about your oul tautologies. :)
Tyrone is not overseas.  Maybe overexcited, but not overseas. The border is not rational either .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

I'm afraid you'll have to wait until social and economic changes taking places are reversed before that happens and I can't see that happening ever.
Simon Coveney in a Newstalk interview said that 40% of the republic's population live in the greater Dublin area and the % of the population will reach 50% by 2040.
He said that 50% of the nation's resources are located in the Dublin area also.
I'd say those who drew up Dublin's Blue Wave blueprint were on the button when they said the aim was to win 3 out of 5. The GAA active members are shrinking in Mayo and other western counties all the time.

Did Coveney talk about any political solutions to this problem?

Its absolutely key to have proper connectivity between Cork-Limerick-Galway to enable more MNCs to choose the west rather than Dublin as their base. Need more bigger companies and jobs west of the Shannon and then the service and finance companies will follow.

I think Brexit will make the Dublin v country divide even bigger, as the SMEs in the regions are often hugely dependent on British trade.

seafoid

How many 3 in a rows have there been? Micko got 2 out of Kerry. Wexford did a 4 in a row a century ago. The Dubs in the 20s. Galway in the 60s. Down never did it. Cavan never did it. Meath never did it. Tyrone never did it.
You need an exceptional group of players to do it. There may not be a goalie as good as Cluxton for the next 20 years. The chance of a player like him and like Fenton and like  a few of the forwards coming together is very low.

And guess what happens to all great teams. They collapse in the end.

https://youtu.be/Q1tNl7uRS2E
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU