Ciaran McKeever

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 15, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

One of the most committed and driven man i've known, gave his all for Armagh. The legs slowed a bit over the last few years as well as the pace of the game went up a notch or 2, if he'd have played for Tyrone or Down i'd prob have had a strong disliking for him. Him & Ricie would have been similar characters on the pitch, anyway enjoy your retirement Ciaran.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ONeill

Quote from: illdecide on August 16, 2017, 10:36:06 PM
Him & Ricie would have been similar characters on the pitch, anyway enjoy your retirement Ciaran.

FFS. Ricey could run the length of the field and score. Ricey rarely got the line. Ricey has 3 AIs. Never say that again.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Respect to Ciaran for that statement. Dignified and respectful way to exit although losing to Tyrone in his last game was tough.

Ciaran played it on the edge and beyond at times. He leaves owing Armagh nothing.

illdecide

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2017, 10:55:58 PM
Him & Ricie would have been similar characters on the pitch, anyway enjoy your retirement Ciaran.

FFS. Ricey could run the length of the field and score. Ricey rarely got the line. Ricey has 3 AIs. Never say that again.

lol...I was refering to them both being a bit nasty on the pitch :D

WT4E

Quote from: illdecide on August 16, 2017, 10:57:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2017, 10:55:58 PM

lol...I was refering to them both being a bit nasty on the pitch :D

I got what you where saying there - you certainly could not compare their footballing ability.

RTE News showing some clips of him playing where pretty harsh - Two clips gave the ball away in both!!!  :o

Fuzzman

Great player who contributed hugely towards Armagh's Ulster title win in 2005 whilst marking Tyrone's two star forwards "out of the game".
He was very unfortunate though to be made the scapegoat for Tyrone to go on and win the AI semifinal after he was alleged to have fouled Stephen O'Neill near the end in a foul the ref hadn't been blowing up for all day.

I think he was never really got over Sean Cavanagh marrying Charlie Vernon's sister though as CK wanted Sean to himself and often showed his affection for him on the field of play.

Brick Tamlin

It would make you despair sometimes at the fanfare around players 'retiring' from the game.
To call him great would do an injustice to those who were ie see Colm Cooper. McKeever was merely another very decent county footballer who could hold his own in many a game in his prime, struggled with the game changing where pace and mobility are essential and who's time is now up. He could have went a few season ago.
Call a spade a spade, he indulged in plenty of sh!te too and would hardly be held as a role model for a lot of his onfield antics.
Of course the chest-beating brigade and big men will laud his achievements and those from Armagh will lament his retirement but personally don't see what the fuss is about.

WT4E

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 17, 2017, 12:47:14 PM
It would make you despair sometimes at the fanfare around players 'retiring' from the game.
To call him great would do an injustice to those who were ie see Colm Cooper. McKeever was merely another very decent county footballer who could hold his own in many a game in his prime, struggled with the game changing where pace and mobility are essential and who's time is now up. He could have went a few season ago.
Call a spade a spade, he indulged in plenty of sh!te too and would hardly be held as a role model for a lot of his onfield antics.
Of course the chest-beating brigade and big men will laud his achievements and those from Armagh will lament his retirement but personally don't see what the fuss is about.

Agreed - However be careful Punt Kick will be along in a minute to tell you that McKeever would kick the Fcuk out of you!!!!  :o

illdecide

Who called him a great? I think most of the praise he's getting was for his commitment, his drive and determination and his service to Armagh which should not be underestimated. A great? No, but a good player who gave his all.

Il Bomber Destro

McKeever was very underrated, unfortunately for him his prime coincided with Armagh's downturn.

Played the game on the edge but there's nothing wrong with that.

tothetop03

Had the privilege off falling into Cairan's company through a friend in Dublin one Night about 3 years ago a real gent wish him good luck in the future......

trileacman

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 17, 2017, 12:47:14 PM

Harsh enough. He was a good lad who'd a good run and respected by the Armagh faithful for leaving it all on the pitch. No need to be such a mean fcuker and piss on the parade.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 17, 2017, 12:21:08 PM
Great player who contributed hugely towards Armagh's Ulster title win in 2005 whilst marking Tyrone's two star forwards "out of the game".
He was very unfortunate though to be made the scapegoat for Tyrone to go on and win the AI semifinal after he was alleged to have fouled Stephen O'Neill near the end in a foul the ref hadn't been blowing up for all day.

I think he was never really got over Sean Cavanagh marrying Charlie Vernon's sister though as CK wanted Sean to himself and often showed his affection for him on the field of play.

Always thought that free was unlucky as well.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

stew

Quote from: trileacman on August 17, 2017, 11:17:23 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 17, 2017, 12:21:08 PM

Always thought that free was unlucky as well.

Luck had nothing to do with it!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

OakleafCounty

This should be a thread for the Armagh Local GAA Discussion page as it's insignificant on an All-Ireland level.

A very poor role model for young football players who will really only be remembered outside (and maybe inside) Armagh for the 'hard man' image he tried to build for himself.

Remember him dragging Peter Canavan on the grass by the shirt in Croke Park or one winter he learned a bit of Ju Jitsu and decided to practice it before a ball was thrown in the championship. And who can forget when he cried about 'racism' he suffered against Laois despite him being known for sledging shite himself, one incident against Martin Clarke was particularly unsavoury.

Good riddance!