Dubs v Westmeath 25 June

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 24, 2017, 12:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2017, 02:46:30 PM

Big games - hound - big games.
Westmeath would hardly qualify as a big game now. (no dis-respect intended)

Did many of the Dublin squad workthe week  before the AIF or the replay? Nope. Because they were all paid to take time off.

Are you saying this is not an advantage?
How much did Dublin pay Davy Stockbrokers for Paddy Andrews to have a week off? Seriously!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 27, 2017, 01:48:25 PM
Speaking of red lines...

No one from outside  seems able to accept that at the moment Dublin have a batch of players that are once in a lifetime talented.

The fact that Aer Lingus sponsors them doesnt make Cluxton the player he is.

The likes of him and a few others will never come around again.

They will (started already) fade and whats coming down the line is no where near as special - Kildare are already beating Dublin at underage.

Arrra, g'wan outa that! ;D
No one from the inside seems to accept that the same "once in a lifetime players talented players" got stuffed in the Leinster semi final in 2010 by the most piss-poor Meath team of all time - an embarrassment to the great Meath warriors that went before them. Remember they became Leinster champions thanks to a certain Mr. Sludden. Prior to that game Dublin had clocked up a string of Leinsters but were not serious AI contenders in any of them.
In the wake of that defeat, the "Blue Flag" initiative was undertaken and the rest is history by now. Many of those who played on that fateful day against Meath are still chugging away and if you count in those who have retired since, the number who went on to starting bagging Celtic Crosses in 2011 and subsequent years  covers just about everyone who lost that game.
So much for the talent of the players.
If talent alone was all that was needed, why are Dublin spending so much on team preparation?
Sure, I've heard the mantra that once those super players retire, they can never be replaced and Dublin will slip back into the pack once again.
Tell me, where have McCaffrey, McCarthy, Small, Fenton, Kilkenny and Costello come from? They were hardly found under a stone, were they?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2017, 03:15:41 PM
Speaking of red lines...

No one from outside  seems able to accept that at the moment Dublin have a batch of players that are once in a lifetime talented.

They will (started already) fade and whats coming down the line is no where near as special - Kildare are already beating Dublin at underage.

No one from the inside seems to accept that the same "once in a lifetime players talented players" got stuffed in the Leinster semi final in 2010 by the most piss-poor Meath team of all time - an embarrassment to the great Meath warriors that went before them. Remember they became Leinster champions thanks to a certain Mr. Sludden. Prior to that game Dublin had clocked up a string of Leinsters but were not serious AI contenders in any of them.
In the wake of that defeat, the "Blue Flag" initiative was undertaken and the rest is history by now. Many of those who played on that fateful day against Meath are still chugging away and if you count in those who have retired since, the number who went on to starting bagging Celtic Crosses in 2011 and subsequent years  covers just about everyone who lost that game.
If talent alone was all that was needed, why are Dublin spending so much on team preparation?
Sure, I've heard the mantra that once those super players retire, they can never be replaced and Dublin will slip back into the pack once again.
Tell me, where have McCaffrey, McCarthy, Small, Fenton, Kilkenny and Costello come from? They were hardly found under a stone, were they?

The dubs had a plan and implemented it. Funding shouldn't just be thrust at counties. If a county board can come up with a plan then apply to croke park for funding and they should receive it.

It's a credit to the amount of ex-inter county players who have taken underage teams in Dublin. How many counties can claim the same thing?

Buttofthehill

Speaking of red lines...

Emmmm, they did beat Tyrone in the wake of the Meath debacle and only lost to Cork by a point but that doesn't suit your little story

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on June 27, 2017, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 27, 2017, 02:32:26 PM
Sure Hound, if all the coaching money makes no difference, give it back so others can use it. I know for a fact it would make a difference to us.
My experience is the coaching money goes on the opposite to the elite end. Maybe its not the same in most clubs, but I doubt it. It goes to increasing participation. In my club it's mainly focused on hurling and girls, because our participation at the football is good already.

I 100% agree that such coaches should be available across the country. But I would also say it would cause a lot of rows in clubs as to whether it's worth it even at 50%! You are not guaranteed to get a good coach.

I presume every county has the coaching courses? Where Dads and Moms are encouraged to sign up for coaching courses to improve their skills as coaches and that these are free or nominal fees? They are much better. Train the trainers.

The difference is that there is one GPO to most clubs in Dublin wheras you are talking in the very low single figures for the rest of the counties. It's a lot easier to train the moms and dads in the club down the road in Dublin as opposed to getting them to drive halfway across the county to wherever the course is being held down the country. All the development panel coaches in Dublin would be trained up to level 3 so while the likes of Lally and Henry might not be paid they are still delivering quality coaching.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 27, 2017, 04:05:28 PM
Speaking of red lines...

Emmmm, they did beat Tyrone in the wake of the Meath debacle and only lost to Cork by a point but that doesn't suit your little story
Now, now you're being catty. ;D

I didn't make any mention of what happened next because it has no bearing on the point I was labouring to make.
Dublin got tanked by an abject Meath in 2010 yet went on to win the AI the following year.Basically, the players were the same in both years  but the the outcome was markedly different and has been since then. My point here is that you and other say Dublin just happen to have super players at present and when they are gone, they are gone, sort of.
. If I accept that, the millions spent om preparing the team since then has been a waste of time and money since sheer, naked talent is the sole cause of their present form.
Where are the likes of Kilkenny, Costello and the rest I've mentioned coming from if not from a superb coaching and development structure?
Do you honestly believe that when Clucko and Berno and Dermo and the rest retire, Dublin will sink back into the pack once more?

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2017, 05:51:10 PM
Speaking of red lines...

I didn't make any mention of what happened next because it has no bearing on the point I was labouring to make.
Dublin got tanked by an abject Meath in 2010 yet went on to win the AI the following year.Basically, the players were the same in both years  but the the outcome was markedly different and has been since then. My point here is that you and other say Dublin just happen to have super players at present and when they are gone, they are gone, sort of.
. If I accept that, the millions spent om preparing the team since then has been a waste of time and money since sheer, naked talent is the sole cause of their present form.
Where are the likes of Kilkenny, Costello and the rest I've mentioned coming from if not from a superb coaching and development structure?
Do you honestly believe that when Clucko and Berno and Dermo and the rest retire, Dublin will sink back into the pack once more?

They're already back in the pack though Lar. The pack being Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin and Mayo.

If it wasn't for Own goals, keeper having a nightmare, CoC missing the free, we wouldn't be talking about this

Syferus

Speaking of red lines...

Do you hate Roscommon or Dublin the most, Lar?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on June 27, 2017, 08:29:26 PM
Speaking of red lines...

Do you hate Roscommon or Dublin the most, Lar?
Holy fiddlesticks! Syferus my friend, you are one hell of a hoopid stoor. ;D ;D
What have the Sheep Shaggers got to do with this topic?
You certainly know that I'd support the Rossies before just about every county in the land and that I have routinely wished you luck whenever a big game for you was coming up.
This has been the story since I joined this board about 10 or 11 years ago.
I'll be rooting for the primrose and blue for the Connacht final and that's in spite of your best attempts to wreck my poor head. Dammit!  You'd give a head of cabbage a dose of migraine but , apart from that, you're almost alright.
And where did I ever say I hated Dublin? I lived here most of my life, earned my crust and raised my family in Molly Malone's country and have nothing but praise for the genuine Dub, as most of them are.
I often said I admired Jim Gavin and accepted that he has a team of superb athletes but the issues I am concerned about are not of his making.
He's only doing what any responsible manager would do if he found himself in Jim's position.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 27, 2017, 05:21:54 PM
Quote from: Hound on June 27, 2017, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 27, 2017, 02:32:26 PM
Sure Hound, if all the coaching money makes no difference, give it back so others can use it. I know for a fact it would make a difference to us.
My experience is the coaching money goes on the opposite to the elite end. Maybe its not the same in most clubs, but I doubt it. It goes to increasing participation. In my club it's mainly focused on hurling and girls, because our participation at the football is good already.

I 100% agree that such coaches should be available across the country. But I would also say it would cause a lot of rows in clubs as to whether it's worth it even at 50%! You are not guaranteed to get a good coach.

I presume every county has the coaching courses? Where Dads and Moms are encouraged to sign up for coaching courses to improve their skills as coaches and that these are free or nominal fees? They are much better. Train the trainers.

The difference is that there is one GPO to most clubs in Dublin wheras you are talking in the very low single figures for the rest of the counties. It's a lot easier to train the moms and dads in the club down the road in Dublin as opposed to getting them to drive halfway across the county to wherever the course is being held down the country. All the development panel coaches in Dublin would be trained up to level 3 so while the likes of Lally and Henry might not be paid they are still delivering quality coaching.
there is no award 3 level in the GAA
it hasn't been developed yet
you might be talking about a coaching tutor?

the bulk of funding in Dublin is spent on grassroots coaching. 50+ coaches
however, the quality of that coaching flows into every club in the county and ergo all county players
it has raised standards in every club - exposed club coaches to new ways of coaching and constantly bringing new ideas into clubs
then it is taken on further with the development panels and the good coaches there (full time GPOs are used here too)

while in the likes of Westmeath they have maybe 3/4 full time coaches? if even that number

AZOffaly

Or else level 3 as in foundation -> award 1 -> award 2

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 27, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Speaking of red lines...

They're already back in the pack though Lar. The pack being Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin and Mayo.

If it wasn't for Own goals, keeper having a nightmare, CoC missing the free, we wouldn't be talking about this
Some weeks ago I caught the tailend of a Simon Coveney interview on Newstalk.
Simon told the presenter that 40% of the Republic's population are now living in the Greater Dublin Region and by 2030 the percentage will top 50%. Furthermore, at present time 50% of the national resources are concentrated in this region.
He went on to waffle about the need to develop economic hubs in the likes of Galway, Limerick, Athlone and so on. That's a load of bollox and Coveney knows it.
Charlie McCreevy promised to do the same as part of FF's election strategy in the run up to (I think) the 2002 election. FF would transfer whole government departments to a number of centres around the country and this would serve as an economic stimulus in the regions concerned, thereby decreasing the rate of migration to the capital and everyone's garden would be rosy.
However, very few departmental personnel were willing to make the move and it was only the younger, less experienced ones who showed any worthwhile interest. You know, those without houses in the Dublin region or kids at school/ college or at work.
Once the election was over, a few mickey mouse attempts to to relocate some departments and then the whole exercise was quietly shelved.

I can't see the present shower doing any better so the imbalance will continue to grow and in GAA affairs the gap will continue to widen.
manfromdelmonte highlighted the imbalance in resources between Westmeath and Dublin two days ago and the the differences are stark. You can bear in mind that Westmeath is by ni means the poorest county in the country.
If things continue in this way, the GAA is well and truly horsed.
Imagine the craic if 21 Irish counties decided to amalgamate and field just one team. Going by the '16 census, Dublin has the same population as 21 of the least heavily populated counties.
Put it another way, Dublin has as many people as twice the province of Connacht.
That's bad enough but there's a double whammy involved here.
The % of people in Dublin who are involved in GAA matters is much less than in any other county. I mentioned the comparison between one middle of the road Dublin club, Erin's Isle, and the county of Cavan.
Isle's catchment area has as many people (c. 72,000) as the whole of Cavan. Cavan has 41 clubs according to the county website.
Don't mind Syferus, the rest of humanity doesn't and with good cause.
I don't hate Dublin but I am genuinely worried about the future of the GAA in the Ireland of the not-so-distant future.

macdanger2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 28, 2017, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 27, 2017, 08:27:56 PM
Speaking of red lines...

Some weeks ago I caught the tailend of a Simon Coveney interview on Newstalk.
Simon told the presenter that 40% of the Republic's population are now living in the Greater Dublin Region and by 2030 the percentage will top 50%. Furthermore, at present time 50% of the national resources are concentrated in this region.
He went on to waffle about the need to develop economic hubs in the likes of Galway, Limerick, Athlone and so on. That's a load of bollox and Coveney knows it.
Charlie McCreevy promised to do the same as part of FF's election strategy in the run up to (I think) the 2002 election. FF would transfer whole government departments to a number of centres around the country and this would serve as an economic stimulus in the regions concerned, thereby decreasing the rate of migration to the capital and everyone's garden would be rosy.
However, very few departmental personnel were willing to make the move and it was only the younger, less experienced ones who showed any worthwhile interest. You know, those without houses in the Dublin region or kids at school/ college or at work.
Once the election was over, a few mickey mouse attempts to to relocate some departments and then the whole exercise was quietly shelved.

I can't see the present shower doing any better so the imbalance will continue to grow and in GAA affairs the gap will continue to widen.
manfromdelmonte highlighted the imbalance in resources between Westmeath and Dublin two days ago and the the differences are stark. You can bear in mind that Westmeath is by ni means the poorest county in the country.
If things continue in this way, the GAA is well and truly horsed.
Imagine the craic if 21 Irish counties decided to amalgamate and field just one team. Going by the '16 census, Dublin has the same population as 21 of the least heavily populated counties.
Put it another way, Dublin has as many people as twice the province of Connacht.
That's bad enough but there's a double whammy involved here.
The % of people in Dublin who are involved in GAA matters is much less than in any other county. I mentioned the comparison between one middle of the road Dublin club, Erin's Isle, and the county of Cavan.
Isle's catchment area has as many people (c. 72,000) as the whole of Cavan. Cavan has 41 clubs according to the county website.
Don't mind Syferus, the rest of humanity doesn't and with good cause.
I don't hate Dublin but I am genuinely worried about the future of the GAA in the Ireland of the not-so-distant future.

What McCreevy tried to do was absolutely correct, they just made a bollix of the execution. Equally, what Coveney was saying made complete sense but since he's not taoiseach, it's unlikely to be prioritised - perhaps Coveney wouldn't have followed through but it's a bit rich to complain about them trying ffs!!!

macdanger2

Only just saw Gavin's press conference. What a f*cking tool, no credibility whatsoever.

Brolly and Yes Dessie keeping up the usual rubbish TSG punditry standards, that program needs to be canned and started from scratch again with a whole new cast.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 28, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Only just saw Gavin's press conference. What a f*cking tool, no credibility whatsoever.

Brolly and Yes Dessie keeping up the usual rubbish TSG punditry standards, that program needs to be canned and started from scratch again with a whole new cast.

If they did ye'd still be complaining.