Down v Monaghan - Saturday 24th June at 7pm

Started by interested, June 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on June 20, 2017, 09:13:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2017, 09:11:20 PM
Monaghan are a bit like Ireland at the rugby world cup.

Ireland are a team punching way above their weight? I don't think so..
They never get past the qf...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

snoopdog

Newstalk and Colm orourke have already decided this fixture is not required as they are both looking fwd to Monaghan v Tyrone in the ulster final.

Main Street

Taylor

Mattie Donnelly said he was looking forward to Monaghan in the final in an interview then he corrected himself.

Its a forgone conclusion in any case

PAULD123

Down have the players to challenge Monaghan. Jerome Johnston and Ryan Johnston are easily good enough to cause any defenders problems. McKernan is an All-star and quality. Elsewhere I just don't buy that Monaghan are loaded with players who are hugely naturally more talented than Down's footballers.

But Monaghan have much better training and tactics behind them. Their conditioning is superior and they are an experienced united team. If everything clicks for Down then I think we could compete. But it is unlikely that everything will click. That is the point of training and tactics to force things to click. Monaghan are way ahead on that front.

So yeah, I think Monaghan will win, but I just don't see the reason why we couldn't have the potential to come up to their standard with the right training/management. If Donegal proved one thing they proved that a bunch of written off also rans can become real challengers with the correct preparation, because they should not have been written off also rans.

tonto1888

Is McKernan fit? His arm looked bad after thegame against us.
I don't see anything other than Monaghan winning with a bit to spare I'm afraid

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2017, 11:43:33 AM
Down have the players to challenge Monaghan. Jerome Johnston and Ryan Johnston are easily good enough to cause any defenders problems. McKernan is an All-star and quality. Elsewhere I just don't buy that Monaghan are loaded with players who are hugely naturally more talented than Down's footballers.

But Monaghan have much better training and tactics behind them. Their conditioning is superior and they are an experienced united team. If everything clicks for Down then I think we could compete. But it is unlikely that everything will click. That is the point of training and tactics to force things to click. Monaghan are way ahead on that front.

So yeah, I think Monaghan will win, but I just don't see the reason why we couldn't have the potential to come up to their standard with the right training/management. If Donegal proved one thing they proved that a bunch of written off also rans can become real challengers with the correct preparation, because they should not have been written off also rans.

No he's not.

Mourne Rover

McKernan was named on the GPA All Star team in 2010, but not on the official GAA version of that year. However, as the two schemes were amalgamated the following season, and are now officially known as the GAA GPA Stars,  it would be difficult to argue that the previous awards had a different status.

Taylor

Brick Tamlin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh riiiiiite....the GPA allstars.
I see.

Taylor

Fuzzman

I wonder well Down or Monaghan decide to kick the ball long from kickouts a lot more now after they saw how successful it was last Sunday?
Are Down strong around the middle?

seafoid

How long have Monaghan been on the go? Didn't they lose against the Larries last year?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

snoopdog

Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2017, 02:40:35 PM
How long have Monaghan been on the go? Didn't they lose against the Larries last year?
[/quote
I can remember Monaghan playing football in the 80s so at least that long.]

twohands!!!

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 21, 2017, 02:15:46 PM
I wonder well Down or Monaghan decide to kick the ball long from kickouts a lot more now after they saw how successful it was last Sunday?
Are Down strong around the middle?

I would consider Monaghan to have the upper hand in this area with the two Hughes starting.

Last year the scoreline was Down 0-9 Monaghan 2-22 and I don't think a huge pile has changed for either side since then.

Down have found a slight bit of form this year compared to last, but it's not anything to get that excited about - the win over Armagh, beating Meath and Derry and drawing with Cork in the league.
They also lost to Fermanagh, Clare and Kildare in this year's league.

I think if Monaghan have their shooting boots on they might well hand out another beating.