We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

How is there nothing on this already? The man is facing a 12 week ban for pushing a ref and theres not a word about it.

The two lads on the Sunday Game with to town on him last nite, was very surprised Jimbo Gavin hadn't managed to get Ciaran Whelan and some other lackie on to tell us that the bould Connolly was just moving a fly that was resting on the linesman top. Dessie did his level best to suggest that there was nothing in it but he needs to go back to Jim's PR classes because Spillane in particular made bits of his flimsy defence.

So how will the Dubs get out of this one? Maybe draft in Brolly?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/watch-diarmuid-connollys-infamous-temper-gets-better-125750

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/watch-diarmuid-connolly-could-face-lengthy-ban-for-incident-with-linesman-35785327.html
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

tippabu

There has been loads of talk of threads here, other websites, rte and sky both highlighted it. Seems black and white given other are suspended for the exact same infraction and will end up getting a 12 week ban

From the Bunker

In fairness Diarmuid is the victim? Always is. Charlie Redmond and Roy Curtus are at this very moment writing his defence! Roy will have his defence finished after his article on Man Utd!

Mayo4Sam

Des was suggesting he was provoked, FFS it was a Carlow sideline ball and he would let go of the ball, what did he expect?

highorlow

Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Il Bomber Destro

It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

johnneycool

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

I'm sure Ciaran Brannigan isn't waking up this morning with chest pains from that, and didn't make a whole issue of it at the time, doubt it will be in the referees report.

Connoilly shouldn't have touched him and you could see the GAA making a point about physical contact with an official but it was a Dublin player so it'll be fine. Lord help any Antrim or Armagh lad who'd have done that....

longballin

The rule is very clear. Spillane told the truth. Is a pity as he didn't push him too hard but GAA can't run around nailing junior club players and counties like Antrim but let high profile players do what they like.

Tubberman

He has to be given a 12 week ban.
Not because it was a serious incident, but because that's the rule. Kieran McGeeney and Evan Commerford got the same ban - the rule can't be ignored because it's Diarmuid Connolly!
The length of suspension seems very harsh, so that could/should be looked at, but it can't be used to get Connolly off.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Come on Bomber.
If a Tyrone man did that...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2017, 10:29:49 AM

The rule is very clear. Spillane told the truth. Is a pity as he didn't push him too hard but GAA can't run around nailing junior club players and counties like Antrim but let high profile players do what they like.

Rossfan

If he is banned I presume it will be put on hold till the long lengthy appeal and legal processes have been exhausted.
That should take till mid November and sure 3 months rest then would be just grand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Tubberman on June 05, 2017, 10:34:19 AM
He has to be given a 12 week ban.
Not because it was a serious incident, but because that's the rule. Kieran McGeeney and Evan Commerford got the same ban - the rule can't be ignored because it's Diarmuid Connolly!
The length of suspension seems very harsh, so that could/should be looked at, but it can't be used to get Connolly off.

I would agree, as harsh as it is the rule is very clear.

From the Bunker

Luckily both Spillane and O'Rourke have no agendas and are speaking from a totally neutral point of view! :P ;)

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing