Championship odds

Started by seafoid, April 03, 2017, 09:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Maybe from the fact that Galway can't help themselves but view winning Tipp teams as uppity and conceited. They take a kind of "knew them when they hadn't an arse in their trousers" approach to hearing those bellicose whoops from over the Shannon. It's a sound that can turn even the docile among them dangerous.
 http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/vincent-hogan-tribal-force-steamrolls-offcolour-tipp-in-final-slaughter-35647266.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Very strange performance from Tipp. A return to the days when the forwards were completely outfought and intimidated by a physical team. Not sure if that's a worry for Tipp or a blip. Looking at them they looked like a team that had come off a serious week of training, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

Good to see Galway winning a national title. Delighted for Joe Canning.

This years championship is probably the most open since B.C.

mouview

David Burke @ 16/1, Daithi Burke @ 33/1 for HOTY, courtesy PPs, good odds. Both outstanding yesterday; David surely the player of the league.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2017, 09:14:12 AM
Very strange performance from Tipp. A return to the days when the forwards were completely outfought and intimidated by a physical team. Not sure if that's a worry for Tipp or a blip. Looking at them they looked like a team that had come off a serious week of training, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

Good to see Galway winning a national title. Delighted for Joe Canning.

This years championship is probably the most open since B.C.
April doesn't matter. Tipp are probably focused on Cork. They didn't turn up yesterday.

redsetanta

I wouldn't go so far as to say they were focussed on Cork as that is a few weeks away. They were the standout team in the league. Galway had greater desire to win and the Galway backs had the measure of the Tipp forwards. Added to that the Galway forward unit was flying. Plus as has already been stated Galway love playing Tipp no matter where the form guide is. You can say it's only April but this 'unbeatable' Tipp team getting hammered out the gate will affect them. 16 points defeat will certainly put a doubt in the mind.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

AZOffaly

Quote from: redsetanta on April 24, 2017, 10:44:41 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say they were focussed on Cork as that is a few weeks away. They were the standout team in the league. Galway had greater desire to win and the Galway backs had the measure of the Tipp forwards. Added to that the Galway forward unit was flying. Plus as has already been stated Galway love playing Tipp no matter where the form guide is. You can say it's only April but this 'unbeatable' Tipp team getting hammered out the gate will affect them. 16 points defeat will certainly put a doubt in the mind.

Might affect them positively though. Tipp and confidence are easy bed fellows. A bad defeat wouldn't necessarily rattle them. Only they know themselves if there were extenuating factors. However the worry I see is it was a return to the days when they were out fought by a hungrier team. They are not good enough to let themselves get out fought.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: redsetanta on April 24, 2017, 10:44:41 AM

Should we look at keeping the lesser teams away from the bigger teams? These 16 plus hammerings are no good for the teams trying to improve, would knock their confidence

I jest of course, but how many times have we heard when a big team plays a team outside the top 6 and the hammer them by 16/20 points and they say, thats doing no one any good, we should tier them... It may happen more often but there are plent of examples where top teams get a pasting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

Anyone who thinks Tipp are going to be a soft touch this Summer is in for a shock. They will be there when it matters
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

LilySavage

I don't think anyone expects last year's winners and this years clear favourites to be a soft touch.

seafoid

Tipp are out to 4/1 now

Kilkevan

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 24, 2017, 05:14:17 PM
Anyone who thinks Tipp are going to be a soft touch this Summer is in for a shock. They will be there when it matters

Nobody who knows anything about hurling thinks Tipp are going to be a soft touch. They're going to have their work cut out this year though as to get into an All Ireland they're probably going to have to beat three, possibly four, top teams before September.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 24, 2017, 05:14:17 PM
I think I have changed my mind about that having seen their performance against Cork and now the Cathal Barrett situation. The fullback line was bad enough without losing Barrett
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

The Wedger

Avondhu star

Quote from: The Wedger on May 31, 2017, 06:12:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2017, 06:05:19 PM
Tipp are out to 4/1 now
Worth a punt.
Paddy Power this morning.
Galway 2/1
Tipp.    7/2
Cork 9/2
Clare 13/2