County Senior Hurling Championship Updates

Started by AZOffaly, October 04, 2016, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2016, 08:13:36 AM
The fact they had to push Padraic Maher (who most certainly doesn't lack guts) up the field late on told it's own tale

They must have got the holy relic of Clonrickard out to Lar for extra time as he was in a bad way going off at the end of normal time ;-0  . His contribution was his usual tidy flicks and passes, but you just think he's more to give if he'd show more drive.

Fair play to Ballyea, they have a few hurlers with the abilities Clare seniors lack, big strong ball winners in Brennan and Deasy, think they may also be footballers also, but the hurlers should be trying to get them onboard. Jack Brown and Flanaghan should also be joining them.

As for Thurles, for the better part of the game, were playing some good hurling, failed to convert two very good goal chances in the first half, hit some poor wides, but were still value for the 6 or 7 point lead they had, then they let Ballyea pick off points to reduce the deficit to three and then somehow big Brenna got possession 50 yards out, showed Paudie Maher a clean pair of heels, but the Sars defence opened up like the red sea and he was untouched as he rifled his shot into the net. Great goal, but very poor defending.

Ballyea will fancy their chances against Glen Rovers in two weeks.

Tony Kelly is something else, an effortless hurler is the biggest compliment I can pay to him. Touch, pace, balance, vision all on the button. He isn't the biggest, but with those types of attributes he doesn't need to be. Once again a joy to behold.

didlyi

Flannagan and Browne are already members of the Clare squad. Deasey is definatlely one for a call up and exactly what Clare need in their half forwards. Breannan scored a great goal but hes a better footballer all round. The Clare management could learnt a lot from this outfits resolve and never say die attitude.

johnneycool

Quote from: didlyi on November 07, 2016, 11:25:17 AM
Flannagan and Browne are already members of the Clare squad. Deasey is definatlely one for a call up and exactly what Clare need in their half forwards. Breannan scored a great goal but hes a better footballer all round. The Clare management could learnt a lot from this outfits resolve and never say die attitude.

Brennan may be a better footballer, but he'd offer the hurlers something that currently only John Conlan has in his locker. The ability to compete in the air.

On the old Clare hurlers DB I always thought they were too quick to dismiss someone who may be less than perfect in terms of hurling stickwork, yet Cody can look beyond the weaknesses in the likes of Walter Walsh or Aidan Fogarty and see the good that they do offer and work with them. Even Gerlock took Ollie Baker and worked with him to bring a big physicality to the midfield of Clare back in the day.

Milltown Row2

Two good games there, second one was bizarre to say the least, not as fluent in style of play but the turn around from O'Loughlin gaels was mighty, I thought OTB were going to blow them out of the water, first touch, support play, positioning, score taking and long range frees was top notch, one dodgy goal they lost confidence and the gaels ran out easy winners

The Clare team just had the bit between their teeth from the get go, intensity skill speed accuracy power and heart, hard to pick a mom to be honest, they will take some beating! Possible first Munster team to win the All Ireland for a while
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonadmad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2016, 05:07:20 PM
Two good games there, second one was bizarre to say the least, not as fluent in style of play but the turn around from O'Loughlin gaels was mighty, I thought OTB were going to blow them out of the water, first touch, support play, positioning, score taking and long range frees was top notch, one dodgy goal they lost confidence and the gaels ran out easy winners

The Clare team just had the bit between their teeth from the get go, intensity skill speed accuracy power and heart, hard to pick a mom to be honest, they will take some beating! Possible first Munster team to win the All Ireland for a while

Since 17/03/16,When na Piarsaigh from Limerick won it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clonadmad on November 20, 2016, 05:45:12 PM

Sorry, I forgot about that but in the main the Munster teams have not been at the races!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2016, 06:07:23 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on November 20, 2016, 05:45:12 PM

Sorry, I forgot about that but in the main the Munster teams have not been at the races!
Cork and Tipp teams have had a very bad record
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Newtownshandrum being the last Cork team in the noughties and TBH I thought Toomevara had won one in the nineties, but they didn't and you have to go back to the mid eighties to Borrisilleigh and Kilruane before them.

That's staggering for two of the hurling elite counties.

ashman

Glen Rovers were very poor .   Well done Ballyea. 

manfromdelmonte

Congrats to Cuala.
Should have won by a lot more

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 04, 2016, 06:09:47 PM
Congrats to Cuala.

They will certainly give it a go I'd say...

johnneycool

Congrats to Cuala.

Were impressive alright, particularly in the forwards where the Gaels couldn't cope with the direct running, although the ref wasn't refereeing the tackle in the usual Brian Gavin style and awarding frees for the head high stuff.

O'Callaghan looks sharp enough and something the Dublin hurlers need, although did I hear the big ballers might also want him?

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: johnneycool on December 05, 2016, 09:32:02 AM
Congrats to Cuala.

Were impressive alright, particularly in the forwards where the Gaels couldn't cope with the direct running, although the ref wasn't refereeing the tackle in the usual Brian Gavin style and awarding frees for the head high stuff.

O'Callaghan looks sharp enough and something the Dublin hurlers need, although did I hear the big ballers might also want him?
Think he was in the Football squad already this season & didn't return to the Cuala hurlers til after the replay. Think he only came on as a sub in the County Final.

Declan

QuoteThink he was in the Football squad already this season & didn't return to the Cuala hurlers til after the replay. Think he only came on as a sub in the County Final.

Correct - and committed to the footballers fro 2017 already from what I hear

shark

Quote from: Declan on December 05, 2016, 01:33:53 PM
QuoteThink he was in the Football squad already this season & didn't return to the Cuala hurlers til after the replay. Think he only came on as a sub in the County Final.

Correct - and committed to the footballers fro 2017 already from what I hear

Plus he's still u21 next year so will have lots on his plate.