Cycle to work scheme

Started by qwerty123, May 30, 2017, 10:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

I am considering getting a bike on the scheme. Just looking anyone's thoughts on the value of the scheme - is it worth it - it seems too good to be true!

The second question would be, I'm looking for a folding bike on this scheme and was hoping someone might have advice on the best type to go for under the Cycle to work scheme!
The Tern Link D8 20w 2017 - Folding Bike in Tredz is one I've found.

Any help would be appreciated!

illdecide

I personally didn't think it was great TBH...

my 3 options for end of term which were...

1. Hand the bike back
2. Hire it for another 3 years with a one of payment of £70 and no other monthly payments which at the end of the 3 years they keep the £70 and then sign the bike over to me.
3. Buy the bike now for a fee of £210.

I decided to buy the bike now and paid them £210. My boss said it was a terrible way to end the term and thought it was not worth the hire as did i, he also said that i didn't have to pay them back the last monthly payment which means i had one months money off (£55) + the £70 that i would have had to pay them anyway for the further 3 years hire. So it cost me an extra £85 to buy the bike now but i would never do that again and def didn't think it was worth the hassle...It's basically an interest free loan.

Anyone else have any issues with the scheme? I would not do it again.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: qwerty123 on May 30, 2017, 10:47:22 AM
I am considering getting a bike on the scheme. Just looking anyone's thoughts on the value of the scheme - is it worth it - it seems too good to be true!

The second question would be, I'm looking for a folding bike on this scheme and was hoping someone might have advice on the best type to go for under the Cycle to work scheme!
The Tern Link D8 20w 2017 - Folding Bike in Tredz is one I've found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Judging by the fact that you have the laziest username in the world, then I didn't think you would be into exercise, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

qwerty123

Ha! Usually my exercise mainly consists of going from the sitting room to the fridge and back again!

qwerty123

Quote from: illdecide on May 30, 2017, 11:08:38 AM
I personally didn't think it was great TBH...

my 3 options for end of term which were...

1. Hand the bike back
2. Hire it for another 3 years with a one of payment of £70 and no other monthly payments which at the end of the 3 years they keep the £70 and then sign the bike over to me.
3. Buy the bike now for a fee of £210.

I decided to buy the bike now and paid them £210. My boss said it was a terrible way to end the term and thought it was not worth the hire as did i, he also said that i didn't have to pay them back the last monthly payment which means i had one months money off (£55) + the £70 that i would have had to pay them anyway for the further 3 years hire. So it cost me an extra £85 to buy the bike now but i would never do that again and def didn't think it was worth the hassle...It's basically an interest free loan.

Anyone else have any issues with the scheme? I would not do it again.

I see what you're saying but would it not have been cheaper to go for option 2?

Any tips on the folding back would be great too as there are more options than for the kid in the sweetie shop!

illdecide

Yes option 2 was def the cheaper option but i was thinking of selling the bike to upgrade and i suppose legally u can't sell something that didn't belong to you (I know people who have done it multiple times mind you :-X)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Depends on the type of scheme,  who you work for and are buying off. NICS scheme very straightforward. Some bike shops are more amenable than others. I've heard of people buying wheels only / smart trainers etc... on the scheme.

Mate has a Brompton, wouldn't know much about them tbh.