Down Football-where to now.....?

Started by SamFever, June 07, 2016, 10:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Tradition ,  pedigree... doesn't wash any more.  Hard work from youth up, does.

Mourne Rover

There can be no doubt that the present Down squad is the most limited for decades but attempting to put the blame on `clubs not pulling their weight' entirely misses the point. While Downpatrick were suggested as an offender by a couple of posters, they actually had three representatives playing at different stages on Saturday (including Dee Turley, now based in Meath), which was more than anyone other than Burren.

The contributor who pointed the finger at Bredagh and Carryduff might also look at the list of unused subs for the Longford game. Davidson of Bredagh, the leading scorer in Down club football over the last couple of season, and McKeever of Carryduff, a promising young player who crucially has great pace, were both left sitting on the bench even throughout extra time when Down were falling apart.

While there are obviously problems in Newry, which may well require special attention, the GAA is not exactly thriving in many other large towns across Ireland. If we spend our time blaming individual clubs for the state of our county team, we are looking in the wrong direction.

east down gael

Think I may have been picked up wrong on my poor choice of words regarding downpatrick,Bredagh,Carryduff and newry in general.When I said not pulling their weight I didn't mean the clubs weren't doing good work at all.What I meant was in terms of large population bases there are few county players coming through from those areas.The reasons for this is what needs looked into.If Down as a county wish to be competing at the top level then these areas need to have their potential maximised.One problem is that outside of the newry clubs,none of the youngsters in downpatrick or south belfast are being exposed to mcrory football,therefore at a disadvantage when it comes to county minor selection,which leads on to under 21 and senior.Maybe the county board could do something to bridge this gap?

Blue Island

Quote from: A man from Down on June 29, 2016, 10:44:49 AM
Just a reminder that there were at least 4 Downpatrick men on the panel on Saturday.

That fact did not escape me, but I had referred to 'stars'. That is probably a little harsh on the present panel members but Downpatrick produced Conor and Gerard Deegan and Breen back in the nineties.  It is a quite a while since Downpatrick or Carryduff (Blaney etc) produced somewhat of that ilk.

I accept that other clubs are not producing player of top quality throughout the county, but we in East Down as a whole have been woefully inadequate in producing the players we once did. The 2010 team only had three East Down starters. I don't directly blame RGU at all and I have a high regard for the men running the club and the problems they have with soccer. Rather, I would would lament the general decline of standard in East Down.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: illdecide on June 29, 2016, 11:07:06 AM
We all have that problem, Lurgan is actually worse in that we have 4 GAA clubs in the town and another 3 on the outskirts of the town. Factor in about 7-8 soccer teams too and Sean Tracy's hurling club (take that), it's no secret the GAA clubs in Lurgan are not doing great and this may well be a factor but it's been happening around the town for 30 years...

Lurgan must have the most clubs per head for anywhere in Ulster! Could you ever see a situation where some of the Lurgan clubs merge? Even for the senior championship? I know Clan Eireann are doing big work and have big numbers but do other clubs in the town struggle in this regard?

*Sorry to hijack the thread lads*

In terms of successful clubs I think its wrong to assume towns should be constantly be supplying players to the county sides. In Derry we have struggled for years to get the larger towns supplying senior county players. The big rural clubs like Lavey, Bellaghy and Ballinderry dominated for years. Now you have the likes of Slaughtneil, Marafelt and Glen on the rise. Swings and roundabouts surely.

Lazer

I think part of the problem is the commitment required.

Training 4 nights a week in Newry, isn't feasible for many players outside of the immediate Newry area.

From 25 onwards people have other commitments such as work and relationships, and for someone from say Downpatrick to have to travel to Newry 3 nights a week to train, just isn't going to happen unless they are guaranteed a place.

Home from work at 6 - have to leave immediately to get to Newry for 7, train for 2 hours and then not home to 10pm, and then come match day, you spend 70 minutes on the bench - where is the motivation to stay with the County?
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

east down gael

All valid points Laser,and I'd say 75% of counties are struggling with the same issues. Is the time and effort worth it even if you are starting? If you have a good set up with the county team these things don't seem so bad. Boys in certain parts of Donegal would be glad of only having to drive the distance from downpatrick to newry.
    Walter, Derry would be a whole lot stronger if the largest population base was producing county players,i.e derry city. Coleraine have provided four players in recent years?surely the city could only help in this regard. It would take huge amounts of work,in Down,Derry and many other counties. But I think it's the only way to get back competing.

Walter Cronc

Soccer is still the king in Derry City EDG and always will be.

Steelstown are making great strides at underage - producing county minors but just need that conveyor belt to translate to seniors. I've no doubt it will but may take a few years. If we could tap into Derry City and Limavady it would be fantastic but not easily done. With McIver now director of football he is making this a real goal to get back competing. Coleraine (Portstewart) are a superb club in all codes. They have a real country ethos about them and some great people running the club.

What is this Burrenbridge carry on I read about?? Is that a centre of excellence that has gone wrong?

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 29, 2016, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 29, 2016, 11:07:06 AM
We all have that problem, Lurgan is actually worse in that we have 4 GAA clubs in the town and another 3 on the outskirts of the town. Factor in about 7-8 soccer teams too and Sean Tracy's hurling club (take that), it's no secret the GAA clubs in Lurgan are not doing great and this may well be a factor but it's been happening around the town for 30 years...

Lurgan must have the most clubs per head for anywhere in Ulster! Could you ever see a situation where some of the Lurgan clubs merge? Even for the senior championship? I know Clan Eireann are doing big work and have big numbers but do other clubs in the town struggle in this regard?

*Sorry to hijack the thread lads*

In terms of successful clubs I think its wrong to assume towns should be constantly be supplying players to the county sides. In Derry we have struggled for years to get the larger towns supplying senior county players. The big rural clubs like Lavey, Bellaghy and Ballinderry dominated for years. Now you have the likes of Slaughtneil, Marafelt and Glen on the rise. Swings and roundabouts surely.

From what I can see none of the clubs in Lurgan seem to struggle for numbers. I know the quality isnt what it was 20 years ago but most of the clubs seem to be making good strides at underage level. Your right it seems to be quite unique for a town in comparison to others in Ulster

SamFever

Time to open this up again.
   Can we apply for help from Brussels as technically us Nordies are still in the EU?

seafoid

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 29, 2016, 11:41:04 AM
When Down get motoring again pedigree will matter. Monaghan couldn't turn a good team into All Ireland medals . Down can.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2017, 05:43:59 PM
When Down get motoring again pedigree will matter. Monaghan couldn't turn a good team into All Ireland medals . Down can.
just like Galway I suppose
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

SamFever

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2017, 05:43:59 PM
A trip to the Vet may be required to establish where this pedigree has gone?

T Fearon

Sadly Down V Armagh in this summer's championship has as much appeal as a Fermanagh V Antrim clash ten years ago.

mcklatchee

Quote from: T Fearon on February 15, 2017, 06:41:55 PM
Sadly Down V Armagh in this summer's championship has as much appeal as a Fermanagh V Antrim clash ten years ago.

Nonsense. It may not have the quality but it has the appeal
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know