Corcaigh v Maigh Eo, Páirc Uí Rinn, 29ú Marta @ 1400

Started by macdanger2, March 23, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Quote from: Chimley on March 30, 2015, 11:53:37 PM
We're still vulnerable at the back, I think, to the high ball and people running at us. Keane is not the quickest and Dublin and Cork exploited that very well. The problem is that this lack of pace is more evident at cb so it's full back or nothing for him in my view. I read somewhere that he was pulled out the field yesterday and that he struggled a bit. He needs to pick up the man nearest to goals.
Cafferkey will come good again I think and he has the experience to deal with most forwards.
Delighted for Parsons. I said before the game that he was the best of our midfielders against Kerry last year, so to get a full summers run at it could be huge for us.
I'd like to see how our tactics develop from here. 12 men behind the ball is fine unless you leave the remaining men up the field isolated through lack of support. This is an alien concept for Mayo, so there will be teething problems if we persist with the tactic. I'd hope that it would have a better effect on our goal concession rate than we saw yesterday or else what's the point.

+1
If were getting a lot of men back behind the ball we need it to be a low scoring game because we are taking away a huge amount from our attack.Were still conceding big scores so as chimley said whats the point?

Mayo4Sam

McConville made an interesting point yesterday about teams getting men behind the ball trying to emulate Donegal. Donegal don't just get 14 men behind the ball, they have a plan, some guys are man markers and others are double markers and others are tracking runners. And they have it down to a tee. Dublin on Saturday Nite tried it but without a plan which meant guys just coming back without a job and it was easily bi passed.

So while I don't think we should be as naive as we have been just having people back there for the sake of it isn't right either. It's not the Mayo game and I don't want to see a wholesale change to the way we play but a little more defensive or even smarter defence is what we need
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 29, 2015, 11:09:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2015, 05:02:52 PM

Mission accomplished so. A semi would be a bonus but do we really want to be playing the Dubs again so soon :'( :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[

Getting Cillian fit and keeping Parsons fit for championship would be nice.

Getting Regan fit and firing will improve us too.A bit of coaching abut how to hold onto a lead would do us no harm either.

Regan! You re having a laugh right?? The Kaiser Sose of Mayo football. Most Mayo fans don t even know he exists. He s up against it now.

Correct about holding onto a lead. Both goals were bad but the winning one was criminal. If you re a coach you tell lads not to cross the ball because it is nearly invariably a waste of time. Except if you re playing Mayo. Yeah, Hurley was hungry and attacked it and fair play but there was a Mayo defender (name with editor) there who was on his heels. 9/10 that s a backs ball and the 1/10 times this shit happens is against us. Ah well.
C'mon moy, your're going all- cryptic again.
What's the story with young Regan?
I thought he was just out injured but you seem to be saying that there is something other than this preventing his return.
Mind telling us what's up?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 31, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2015, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 29, 2015, 11:09:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 29, 2015, 05:02:52 PM

Mission accomplished so. A semi would be a bonus but do we really want to be playing the Dubs again so soon :'( :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[

Getting Cillian fit and keeping Parsons fit for championship would be nice.

Getting Regan fit and firing will improve us too.A bit of coaching abut how to hold onto a lead would do us no harm either.

Regan! You re having a laugh right?? The Kaiser Sose of Mayo football. Most Mayo fans don t even know he exists. He s up against it now.

Correct about holding onto a lead. Both goals were bad but the winning one was criminal. If you re a coach you tell lads not to cross the ball because it is nearly invariably a waste of time. Except if you re playing Mayo. Yeah, Hurley was hungry and attacked it and fair play but there was a Mayo defender (name with editor) there who was on his heels. 9/10 that s a backs ball and the 1/10 times this shit happens is against us. Ah well.
C'mon moy, your're going all- cryptic again.
What's the story with young Regan?
I thought he was just out injured but you seem to be saying that there is something other than this preventing his return.
Mind telling us what's up?

Nothing sinister Lar. Supposed to be back in full contact this week.