Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Banty Mc Eneaney took a Monaghan team from Division 4 to Division 1 in three seasons, just a few years ago. Nothing impossible with a bit of organisation and support in the right places.

Minder

Quote from: bannside on June 21, 2017, 05:22:49 PM
I'm afraid I don't see it that way at all AQMP.

This might be hypothetical, but I honestly 100%honestly do belive that if Malachy O Rourke stepped up tomorrow to take Antrim Football, we would be in division two in a couple or three years.

For God's sake we were a kick of the ball off Louth and Tipp in the league, and they are now div 2. And only a missed CJ penalty from chinning Armagh who were third placed. All this away from home.

So don't tell me either that an improved set up we couldn't make those kind of yards. We have the players but it's going to take a good set up to get them out. The challenge is to find that set up, management team.

Where is the evidence we have "the players" ?

Can't always be the managements fault
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

country bumpkin

Quote from: Minder on June 21, 2017, 07:17:15 PM
Quote from: bannside on June 21, 2017, 05:22:49 PM
I'm afraid I don't see it that way at all AQMP.

This might be hypothetical, but I honestly 100%honestly do belive that if Malachy O Rourke stepped up tomorrow to take Antrim Football, we would be in division two in a couple or three years.

For God's sake we were a kick of the ball off Louth and Tipp in the league, and they are now div 2. And only a missed CJ penalty from chinning Armagh who were third placed. All this away from home.

So don't tell me either that an improved set up we couldn't make those kind of yards. We have the players but it's going to take a good set up to get them out. The challenge is to find that set up, management team.

Where is the evidence we have "the players" ?

Can't always be the managements fault
Indeed.......

bannside

In the past I have been guilty of being openly critical of managers, but in recent years I have tried to be much more balanced  and I'm sure a trawl through my posts will see that I have been mainly supportive of Fitzy during his tenure. And I also recognise the huge personal effort he has put into Antrim Football at minor and u-21 before that.

Am I out of order in offering my opinion that I think it's time for a fresh leadership and back that up by saying if the process is opened up I think there would be genuine interest in the position.

Clover

Delargy you are a complete slabber anyone from the county board that takes any notice of you needs their heads looked at are anyone else for that matter head case Fitzy is doing his very best with what he's got players in your own club just didn't turn up focus your negativity on them

bannside

Wise up Clover its only one opinion. Im happy to allow the normal democratic process take place and go with the outcome. If the  board see fit to reappoint Fitzy and Gearoid I will support them. As for the players I will let them make up their own minds.

Personally I think the players will benefit from a fresh voice, as long as that voice has a credible CV. That Ok?

bannside

Clover just had a wee look at some of your posts there. Glad to know I have a fan.

Stillwater2

The same democratic process you disputed a few years ago?

bannside

Bullshit. I strongly advocated our management committee needed freshened up. How did I dispute any democratic process???

Now this will be interesting?

Stillwater2

The appointment of Fitzy? If memory serves me right the former county chairman asked you to leave the room after a heated arguement.

bannside

Ah that night Stillwater!

Well firstly I wasnt asked to leave the room, that needs to be corrected. I was told to sit down and refrain from speaking because of some rule which may or may not have been true, that if a club changed their delegate to CC at least two hours notice needed to be given. If thats true then fair enough. But many experienced club delegates were telling me to stay on my feet because they were sceptical about whether or not that rule actually existed. So I dont know whether the democratic process was upheld or hindered.

You are also technically wrong on a second point. It wasnt Fitzys appointment. It was Bakers reappointment. And I wanted to ask a few questions, particularly whether or not oldco would once again turn a blind eye to Baker taking a club team as well as our county team. Plus one or two other queries I had about the due process.

Then a vote was taken. Now that was a laugh! About a quarter of the delegates supported the boards recommendation, the rest kept their hands down. And secretary declared the result. And you want to remind me about democracy?

But...dont let the truth get in the way of a good story!

BrendanAntrim

Wasn't it Dawson's re appointment? Which was a total botch job whichever way you looked at it.

bannside

It was definitely Bakers reappointment Brendan. Regards Dawson, at the time I was actually ok with it thinking he was coming in on a joint ticket with John Rafferty. But yes that was another very disappointing managerial performance. He got dogs abuse on here too, but there have been lots of equally disappointing days since that haven't had anywhere near the same level of negative comments.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on June 24, 2017, 07:47:16 PM
It was definitely Bakers reappointment Brendan. Regards Dawson, at the time I was actually ok with it thinking he was coming in on a joint ticket with John Rafferty. But yes that was another very disappointing managerial performance. He got dogs abuse on here too, but there have been lots of equally disappointing days since that haven't had anywhere near the same level of negative comments.

Name me a worse performance than Roscommon in the league?

bannside

Yes that was a low point PJ, in Casement. Remember it well and Dawson running up the steps after to do a radio interview. I'd have found a hole and wouldn't have crawled out of it for a week.