FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Well said mickey Linden.
People talk about playing football.  Playing football against better footballing teams is a risky business.  We definitely wouldn't be in the position we are in if we played football in this group. 

SCFC

Turned it on and back off twice tonight. Awful to look at the bits I saw. Neither side are hardly likely to light up the world cup.

Itchy

Watching the panel on rte there talking non stop about wes starting Tuesday. No chance o Neill will start him I think.

Syferus

Quote from: SCFC on November 11, 2017, 10:19:53 PM
Turned it on and back off twice tonight. Awful to look at the bits I saw. Neither side are hardly likely to light up the world cup.

Most of the WC teams will be significantly worse than Denmark or Ireland. UEFA qualification is more of a minefield than the finals themselves.

thewobbler

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 11, 2017, 10:10:02 PM
Ireland punching well above their weight to even be in the mix at this stage. They hardly gave eriksen a kick. Great performance. What are u lads expecting?

It's like this.

Everything up to now is irrelevant as it's a one on one playoff.

If the World Cup is a good standard (which it could be) then Ireland won't get out of their group. If it's a very good standard (which it might be), Ireland will be humiliated. There is no chance, none at all, of this group of individuals making quarter finals or beyond, no matter how well coached.

So the style of football that got us tonight doesn't matter. Planning for the future doesn't matter either.

So why not just simply accept that tonight we were playing a bang average team but one who wanted to play a little. If Ireland had have tried to play a little we might have lost, we might have won, nobody knows. But as a nation we might have enjoyed it. Anyone who enjoyed what they saw tonight is defected and needs sent back.

JPGJOHNNYG

As said earlier the world cup is full of complete garbage teams. The republic will not be humiliated. They may get beaten and play dire but they rarely lose badly and can suck the good football out of other teams and get the draws needed and in a world cup group will likely have one minnow so likely only one draw from the other 2 matches could be enough to get to the last 16!!

JPGJOHNNYG

I do agree though that the football is painfull. Playing long ball is no bad thing if you are playing balls to big target men or into channels for players to chase. Its dinosaur stuff but can be effective. Ireland however just hoof it to give back possesion for the hell of it. Its maddening

JoG2

Quote from: An Watcher on November 11, 2017, 10:14:12 PM
Well said mickey Linden.
People talk about playing football.  Playing football against better footballing teams is a risky business.  We definitely wouldn't be in the position we are in if we played football in this group.

Agreed. We're in a very good position after tonight. My fear was a 2 or 3 nil away from home. Only caught the last half hour, Denmark are decent, but they'll get their fill at Lansdowne

SCFC

Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2017, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: SCFC on November 11, 2017, 10:19:53 PM

Most of the WC teams will be significantly worse than Denmark or Ireland. UEFA qualification is more of a minefield than the finals themselves.

Just an observation. I don't doubt there will be worse teams than us or Denmark at the WC. But I also doubt that we'll light up the tournament.
I'm off to YouTube the Danish team of the 80's.  :)

longballin

An Watcher

Well said mickey Linden.

An Watcher

Have we ever lit up a wc?  Seriously what are people after.  To get to the wc is a great achievement and anything after it is a bonus.  Euro 2012 was embarrassing cause we had a seriously tough group.  It was great to be there tho.  The build up, anticipation, draw for the groups, great stuff

T Fearon

Remember when Ireland had artists in their prime like Lawrenson,Brady,O'Leary,Stapleton,played great football but never qualified for anything

Avondhu star

Useless. Please put them out of our misery ontuesaday. A hotch pot of championship and lower Premiership players. Is someone actually paying Keane?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Syferus

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 12, 2017, 12:06:31 AM
Useless. Please put them out of our misery ontuesaday. A hotch pot of championship and lower Premiership players. Is someone actually paying Keane?

Ok