The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Ireland scoring for fun. Earls being made to look world class again (which he isnt). Impressed with the attendance which is great news for the world cup

Gmac

Would like to see o halloran for zebo soon
Chan Healy playing a lot better today
Earls is looking good

Walter Cronc

Looks like Erasmus has handed in his notice. Shame that!

gawa316

Haven't seen enough of the provinces or Ireland of late but have we seen the last of Heaslip as a starter? I am thinking a backrow of POM, SOB and Stander playing 8.

Syferus

Quote from: gawa316 on June 22, 2017, 12:31:07 AM
Haven't seen enough of the provinces or Ireland of late but have we seen the last of Heaslip as a starter? I am thinking a backrow of POM, SOB and Stander playing 8.

SOB is made of glass.

Walter Cronc

Team to face Japan. Still can't understand what T'OHalloran has to do to start. Is he not wise or something? Perhaps the Connacht men can shed some light. Surely rest Earls, Start Conway on the wing and O'Halloran at FB. Great to see Stockdale get another go. Superstar in the making!

Ireland: A Conway; K Earls, G Ringrose, L Marshall, J Stockdale; P Jackson, K Marmion; C Healy, J Tracy, John Ryan; K Treadwell, D Toner; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Replacements: N Scannell, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, James Ryan, S Reidy, J Cooney, R Scannell, T O'Halloran.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 23, 2017, 10:32:43 AM
Team to face Japan. Still can't understand what T'OHalloran has to do to start. Is he not wise or something? Perhaps the Connacht men can shed some light. Surely rest Earls, Start Conway on the wing and O'Halloran at FB. Great to see Stockdale get another go. Superstar in the making!

Ireland: A Conway; K Earls, G Ringrose, L Marshall, J Stockdale; P Jackson, K Marmion; C Healy, J Tracy, John Ryan; K Treadwell, D Toner; R Ruddock, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Replacements: N Scannell, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, James Ryan, S Reidy, J Cooney, R Scannell, T O'Halloran.
TOH was behind Conway in the pecking order during the 6N and with him now getting a run a FB as well as wing, it seem that is still the case.  I see TOH week in and out during the season and he is a fine player and would love to see him get a proper run to show his worth but it doesn't seem to be happening for him under Joe - the selections for the Autumn internationals will tell a lot.

Walter Cronc

He's a class player GI no doubt. Along with Sweetnam, Byrne and Stockdale all very exciting players coming through.

dec

It looks like South African teams might be joining the Pro12

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40522124

QuoteSouth African sides Cheetahs and Southern Kings have moved a step closer to joining the Pro12 by agreeing their departure from Super Rugby. Both sides are free "to explore other international opportunities" after reaching an agreement with the South African Rugby Union.

The Kings and Cheetahs are set to link up with the Pro12 from next season.

Super Rugby will be cut from 18 to 15 teams next season, with the exit of one Australian and two South African sides. A special SA Rugby general meeting in Cape Town on Friday formally announced South Africa's four participants in Super Rugby next season. As well as the four teams from South Africa - the Sharks, Lions, Bulls and Stormers - the restructured competition will comprise five from New Zealand, four from Australia and one each from Argentina and Japan.

The Cheetahs have opted for a settlement with SA Rugby despite having an agreement in place to play until 2020. Cheetahs chief executive Harold Verster welcomed the prospect of a move into another international competition. He said: "It will be an exciting challenge for our players, supporters and commercial partners and will be the start of a new chapter for rugby both in our region and in South Africa."

Andre Rademan - president of the Eastern Province Rugby Union, the Kings' controlling body - said: "It has been a rollercoaster ride for the franchise for a number of seasons but there is now a clear and viable way forward for rugby in the Eastern Cape to build on the foundations that have been laid - particularly in the past season." Rademan added that "the chance to test ourselves against different opposition in different conditions is a mouth-watering one".

There is only a 2 hour timezone difference but the flights are over 11 hours

seafoid

Quote from: dec on July 07, 2017, 07:02:16 PM
It looks like South African teams might be joining the Pro12

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40522124

QuoteSouth African sides Cheetahs and Southern Kings have moved a step closer to joining the Pro12 by agreeing their departure from Super Rugby. Both sides are free "to explore other international opportunities" after reaching an agreement with the South African Rugby Union.

The Kings and Cheetahs are set to link up with the Pro12 from next season.

Super Rugby will be cut from 18 to 15 teams next season, with the exit of one Australian and two South African sides. A special SA Rugby general meeting in Cape Town on Friday formally announced South Africa's four participants in Super Rugby next season. As well as the four teams from South Africa - the Sharks, Lions, Bulls and Stormers - the restructured competition will comprise five from New Zealand, four from Australia and one each from Argentina and Japan.

The Cheetahs have opted for a settlement with SA Rugby despite having an agreement in place to play until 2020. Cheetahs chief executive Harold Verster welcomed the prospect of a move into another international competition. He said: "It will be an exciting challenge for our players, supporters and commercial partners and will be the start of a new chapter for rugby both in our region and in South Africa."

Andre Rademan - president of the Eastern Province Rugby Union, the Kings' controlling body - said: "It has been a rollercoaster ride for the franchise for a number of seasons but there is now a clear and viable way forward for rugby in the Eastern Cape to build on the foundations that have been laid - particularly in the past season." Rademan added that "the chance to test ourselves against different opposition in different conditions is a mouth-watering one".

There is only a 2 hour timezone difference but the flights are over 11 hours
Sounds nuts and all because the SA league has 2 rejects
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kilkevan

It's confirmed. Cheetahs and Southern Kings will play in the Pro 12 next year making the tournament a 14 team competition. Two groups of seven; 2 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish, 1 Italian and 1 South African in each group. I had heard the South African teams will play a lot of their matches in Europe but how that works for their home support is a mystery.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 18, 2017, 06:07:37 PM
It's confirmed. Cheetahs and Southern Kings will play in the Pro 12 next year making the tournament a 14 team competition. Two groups of seven; 2 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish, 1 Italian and 1 South African in each group. I had heard the South African teams will play a lot of their matches in Europe but how that works for their home support is a mystery.

Yeah I think both teams will be based out of Saracens ground in North London. Must be banking on the big Saffa community in London to support them. Not sure how successful this will be tbh.

square_ball

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 19, 2017, 10:07:37 AM

Yeah I think both teams will be based out of Saracens ground in North London. Must be banking on the big Saffa community in London to support them. Not sure how successful this will be tbh.

Not sure I like the sound of this at all. So for example Ulster might not play Leinster in that season or there mightn't be a Munster v Leinster game? I just don't see what this offers the Pro 12 league.

Kilkevan

So basically they're moving the entire clubs over to London and leaving their home support in South Africa with nothing? That's rough. I know they were being dropped from the Super Rugby championship but is there literally nothing else they could have competed in?

It's also not going to do the pitch at Allianz Park any favours having three teams playing on it for a season.

Quote from: square_ball on July 19, 2017, 10:15:09 AM

Not sure I like the sound of this at all. So for example Ulster might not play Leinster in that season or there mightn't be a Munster v Leinster game? I just don't see what this offers the Pro12 league.

I'd say it's up in the air at the moment. In terms of what it offers the Pro12, about £7million for a start off and additional TV rights. They're also trying to build the product so it can compete with Premiership Rugby and the Top 14. I think they face an impossible task though. The early outline for how the competition will proceed will deny fans their quota of derby matches and will surely add to the contrived nature of the competition; local rivalry builds interest and intensity and this is something the Rugby Premiership and the Top 14 have which the Pro12 can't get. Most teams in the two former competitions are playing teams they are relatively geographically close to or have a history with on a very regular basis, whilst that's not true in the latter... And wait until you hear the next great idea... Adding two North American franchises...

I lost interest in the Pro12 years ago and get my fix from the Top 14 and I can't see these ideas pulling me back any time soon.

Walter Cronc

Would a European league - Div 1 & 2 or Regional based not make more sense to the blazers??

Surely the French and English Clubs would love the potential of big travelling support from Ireland. Better TV deals etc

These South African franchises might eventually morph into London based clubs with no ties to the homeland.