Laois Divisional Championship

Started by Don Draper, September 17, 2018, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/09/17/details-announced-for-new-divisional-football-championship-in-laois/

Should be an interesting concept. Managers will be vital. Get a sponsor on board, fire together some kit, a trial system when players are or should be around a decent fitness level. Some merit to it.

HURLING1

Seems a brilliant idea. Might be one for Eddie too.

The PRO

I suspect it looks better on paper than it will transpire.
Hope I'm wrong because would be a huge advocate of the actual concept. I just hope players buy into it. I'd favour confining it to players overage for next year's under 20s. They have enough to be getting on with.

merman

I wonder would Paddy Purcell be tempted to throw his name in the hat.
By all accounts a fine footballer and an exceptional athlete.

Nothing to lose. Would help with fitness for the winter if nothing else.

Jd

Any more like Rob Tyrrell up in the hurling clubs....... Not county standard for hurling but maybe good footballers. We need to broaden our football base a bit without impacting on the hurlers. I've watched a good few junior matches and also Gaels set ups with hurling clubs involved and some really good footballers involved. Wouldn't know names as people get tired of you asking "who's that lad" and move away

The PRO

Quote from: Jd on September 17, 2018, 01:37:13 PM
Any more like Rob Tyrrell up in the hurling clubs....... Not county standard for hurling but maybe good footballers. We need to broaden our football base a bit without impacting on the hurlers. I've watched a good few junior matches and also Gaels set ups with hurling clubs involved and some really good footballers involved. Wouldn't know names as people get tired of you asking "who's that lad" and move away
Ben Conroy was very good for Ballyfin Gaels yesterday.

steven seagal

Was told before that Picky Maher is a brilliant footballer too, but I've never seen him play. Matthew Whelan played senior football with Mountmellick before as well. With Eddie Brennan coming in as hurling manager, you'd imagine there is a strong pull for the likes of him and Paddy Purcell to keep their focus on that.

I like the idea, should be a few good games in it, will hopefully get clubs thinking about their long-term plans

Laois Rising

If players bought into it would be a great tournament. Every side is capable of fielding a strong side which should make for a high standard of football. Four/Five rounds of games played at a high level would surely stand to the development of some of the younger players in the county with the potential to push on.

Down the line it would be great to see Laois with a county and club championship akin to what they do in Kerry. Having three or four regional sides properly standing up and going toe to toe with Portlaoise could only be good for raising standards in Laois football.   

From the Terrace

It will be interesting to see how this goes down with everyone. I will go to the games anyway. I think this is good & we are moving in the right direction. Looking at our SFC it looks like a procession for portlaoise, Cutting our senior championship to even 12 teams made up of 4 divisional teams & last 8 of previous year senior championship, I would put the other 8 in a Senior B competition. In my book this would be a forward step & hopefully give portlaoise more of a consistent test in laois. I know there are plenty of holes in this concept but i think the time for change is now.

Chrimtain

Really looking forward to this competition. Its an opportunity for the best players in the county to impress and for Fans to see good quality football.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I think this can only be good for the clubs and the county setup, at last we have a real forward thinking manager and we should do everything to hold on to him..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

It's also fairly handy for Sugrue himself as he will get to see everyone of a half decent standard in the county who has any aspirations to play with the county. It will also be at a higher level than regular club football and he can see how any potential new players can perform with and against the current panelists.

Much better than asking lads to come to training or inviting lads on to the panel. Also, there will be a number of games against different opposition. Brilliant idea all round.

It will be without Portlaoise but then again they are already operating at a higher level. ( bar another almighty shock)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Blow-in

Express article waste of time. From what I know only players from 22 years of age to 29 are going to be invited to attend these games. Anyone over 30 not invited at all.