The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Bailey Peacock-Farrell away to Burnley for £3.5 million. Cannot see his prospects of first team football being better there than at Leeds. A replacement is expected before the transfer window closes.

Mourne Rover

A very encouraging start today from Leeds, who took a while to settle and then gave a footballling lesson to a home side which was regarded as an outside bet for promotion. Casilla had his scarey moments as usual but White looks a quality signing alongside Cooper, and Phillips, who surely must be kept if we are really to progress, was excellent. Hernandez was outstanding and Bielsa must make sure that, unlike last season, he gets regular rests. Bamford got the goal he needed and Costa is an exciting prospect. If a new striker, a back up keeper and possibly another defender arrive before the transfer deadline, we should give this division a good rattle.

Rufus T Firefly

Thoroughly enjoyable match and performance yesterday and for me immediately rekindled memories of much of our play last year. However, underlining that was evidence of much of the issues that fatally undermined our promotion bid last year, i.e. dominating the opposition and not making that dominance be accurately reflected in terms of the score-line. That match could and should have been won 5-0 yesterday but we wasted a lorry load of chances, then got careless and ended up having a few uncomfortable moments late on. I think we managed 4 shots on target from 18 during the game. Such stats will be our undoing again.

That said, there was constant reference throughout the coverage yesterday to Leeds getting a striker and a goalkeeper in before the end of the transfer deadline and I still feel we need a centre half, despite the excellence of White on debut. Bamford was also excellent. Lovely, sharp finish but also held the ball up well, laid it off and put himself about a lot. However I can't see him getting the goals we need.

Mention also of Kiko who really makes me feel nervous. As Paul Robinson said yesterday, we need another goalkeeper who is on a par with Kiko and can step up to first team football and be comfortable in that role.

Pablo and Philips also excellent and I thought Harrison's performance suggested that he will be a better player for us this year than last year.

Great to be back playing and great to get a win.

Mourne Rover

Top of the league after four games, unbeaten so far, and three consecutive clean sheets in all competitions represents an excellent start. We were in similar form at this stage last season, but Costa and Nketiah look to have strenthened the squad considerably. Tonight was an ordinary enough performance, but grinding out results with late goals is usually a good sign. While something mad is seldom far away, the indications are encouraging so far.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

All signs pointing towards a disappointing playoff defeat next year.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 21, 2019, 11:46:08 PM
Top of the league after four games, unbeaten so far, and three consecutive clean sheets in all competitions represents an excellent start. We were in similar form at this stage last season, but Costa and Nketiah look to have strenthened the squad considerably. Tonight was an ordinary enough performance, but grinding out results with late goals is usually a good sign. While something mad is seldom far away, the indications are encouraging so far.

Agree with a lot of this.

Poor enough performance in terms of chances created, despite dominating. Paddy really should have made one of two free headers count in the first half. Costa and Nketiah do look as if they will add something going forward, as evidenced by the goal. White has looked quite assured this season at centre half although I thought Pontus had a good game on Wednesday which underlined to me the folly of letting him go.

I thought we probably deserved a draw the other night, which for me cancels out the two points dropped at home to Forest. 

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2019, 01:26:51 PM
All signs pointing towards a disappointing playoff defeat next year.
Surely they will buy a decent striker in the next transfer window
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Anyone who has watched the Take Us Home documentary will be acutely aware that disaster is regularly round the corner with Leeds while realising how close we really were last season. Six episodes is too many, and everyone from the chairman to the hamburger guy outside the ground is interviewed, but it was genuinely moving in the end. If there is any logic and any justice in the championship, which there may not be, Leeds must be in the mix next time round.

Billys Boots

Quoteany logic and any justice

You know there aren't!

Denn Forever

What station was that documentary on?  Heard it being discussed on the radio.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 26, 2019, 10:44:56 AM
What station was that documentary on?  Heard it being discussed on the radio.

Amazon Prime, I think.

Mourne Rover

You can get a one month trial for free as long as you remember to cancel it within the deadline. It is beautifully filmed and very atmospheric, and, while it should really have been shorter, the six episodes fly by. While Russell Crowe's script is a little cliched, it also has its iconic moments and you are left with the sense of a club which is more determined than ever to get back to the Premiership. A huge game awaits on Saturday against Swansea, who have matched the start by Leeds and are only one behind on goal difference.

SLIGONIAN

There is another great leeds documentary on Amazon prime called "do you want to win?" its about the 90 promotion and 92 champions team. Very very good watch.

Good win at Barnsley at the weekend. Derby at home on Saturday.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"