Brendan Hackett

Started by Croí na hÉireann, September 09, 2009, 11:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Right lads, what can you tell me about him? Was involved with Monaghan in 2007, managed the Slashers & Offaly back in the day and trained the Irish International Rules Team in the 90s. According to hoganstand he was only 26 when he got the Slashers to a Leinster semi-final appearance against Dublin in 1988. They where three points up at half-time and then they seemed to get a bad dose of the shits as they lost by 18 in the end...

It certainly is a surprise announcement, I'm not sure it's the one we needed although all the other names mentioned for the post wouldn't fill you with confidence either. From what I've read about him he seems like a good trainer, a good number 2 but will he be able to cut it on the sideline? It's a massive gamble by the county board IMO and they've given him three years to boot. Hopefully he does a Jason Ryan on it in his first year anyway...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

drici

His brother Jack who is a priest normally forms part of any backroom team he has.

Logan

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 09, 2009, 11:20:27 AM
Right lads, what can you tell me about him? Was involved with Monaghan in 2007, managed the Slashers & Offaly back in the day and trained the Irish International Rules Team in the 90s. According to hoganstand he was only 26 when he got the Slashers to a Leinster semi-final appearance against Dublin in 1988. They where three points up at half-time and then they seemed to get a bad dose of the shits as they lost by 18 in the end...

It certainly is a surprise announcement, I'm not sure it's the one we needed although all the other names mentioned for the post wouldn't fill you with confidence either. From what I've read about him he seems like a good trainer, a good number 2 but will he be able to cut it on the sideline? It's a massive gamble by the county board IMO and they've given him three years to boot. Hopefully he does a Jason Ryan on it in his first year anyway...

Don't think he's anything to do with Monaghan for 15 years or so

Maroon Heaven

Flanagan & Dolan Snr will not be happy with that.

Would have liked Dessie Dolan Snr to have got the nod. looks like the Westmeath Council still have issues with him

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: drici on September 09, 2009, 11:29:59 AM
His brother Jack who is a priest normally forms part of any backroom team he has.

Must get a stock of shoe polish in so...

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 11:36:01 AM
Flanagan & Dolan Snr will not be happy with that.

Would have liked Dessie Dolan Snr to have got the nod. looks like the Westmeath Council still have issues with him

Flanagan would have been a disaster, would have preferred Dessie myself but there's more than the Co Board who have issues with him, hence the mandate from the clubs to go for someone outside the county...

Maroon Heaven

Don't know Hackett at all - But by the looks of it - he will make the Westmeath lads train hard.

Hopefully he brings in a good backroom staff.

AZOffaly

He was manager of Offaly back in the early 90s. Wasn't spectacular, but apparently has learned a lot since then. I'd imagine he'd be fairly into the preparation and science side of it. Not sure how tactically adept he will be.

An interesting note is that he was odds on for the Offaly job after the heave against Richie, but only on the condition that it didn't leak. I'd say 2 hours after that, most people with connections with Offaly football knew about it. Hence he apparently backed out.

Shamrock Shore

Never managed Longford Slashers but did manage Longford.

He never recovered from the Leinster sem-final disaster in 1988 (I think) where we were 0-08 to 0-06 up at half time agin the Dubs.

Scored the first point of the second half......then Speedy was taken out of it by a Dublin player whose initials are EH and then the wheels came off the wagon.

Final score Longford 0-09 Dublin 4-15.

He based a book on sports physchology on this lesson.

stephenite

thebandit

I've heard him speak in his role as a psychologist, and he was certainly very relevant in that setting. From what I'm told he'll have them fit and the heads will be right.

I wonder should he have be the man for the Laois job  :D

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks lads, kind of affirms what I thought. Fitness wasn't the problem last year but the heads certainly were so hopefully he can sort that out and do okay tactically. Was kept very quiet in Westmeath, interesting to learn he backed out on the Offaly job, shows he's a man of principle anyway...

INDIANA

Quote from: stephenite on September 09, 2009, 12:36:05 PM
Wasn't the last player EH took out

I'd say Mayo would have been happy to have a few Heery's. Might have got them over the line a few times if they had.

As regards the appointment- looks bizzare to me. I mean inter county management after a lengthy abscence is an unforgiving place but I suppose expectations are low enough.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on September 10, 2009, 08:23:39 AM
Quote from: stephenite on September 09, 2009, 12:36:05 PM
Wasn't the last player EH took out

I'd say Mayo would have been happy to have a few Heery's. Might have got them over the line a few times if they had.

As regards the appointment- looks bizzare to me. I mean inter county management after a lengthy abscence is an unforgiving place but I suppose expectations are low enough.

I wouldn't agree with that. We have 3 of the best backs in the country who'd get onto most teams, one of the best goalkeepers around, a decent midfield (contrary to what they showed this year) and a couple of very good forwards. We just need to balance that up with some decent support and get the heads right. Consolidate in the league and aim for Leinster, would put us at the top of the chasing pack (Dublin and Kildare being the breakaway group)...