Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: ballinaman on August 28, 2014, 08:41:27 AM
Is it time to PANIC yet re travel ?!Times are getting earlier and earlier from what I'm hearing.

Reminds me of going to college and getting the train to Dublin. Every Sunday myself and few lads would take bets on when we could get people to start standing up from, just have to stand up and reach for your bag and the domino affect would happen. I think between Clara and Portarlington was the record...no iPods are laptops in my day for entertainment.

Sounds like everyone is going early so don't leave the house til about 1345, roads should be well clear!!

ballinaman

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 28, 2014, 09:00:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 28, 2014, 08:41:27 AM
Is it time to PANIC yet re travel ?!Times are getting earlier and earlier from what I'm hearing.

Reminds me of going to college and getting the train to Dublin. Every Sunday myself and few lads would take bets on when we could get people to start standing up from, just have to stand up and reach for your bag and the domino affect would happen. I think between Clara and Portarlington was the record...no iPods are laptops in my day for entertainment.

Sounds like everyone is going early so don't leave the house til about 1345, roads should be well clear!!
Aye, hold your nerve with the parking too...people will twitch and park 3 miles up the road... :P

Jinxy

Have the dinner at 8am to get a clear run at the day.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bod Mor on August 28, 2014, 04:21:31 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2014, 12:51:23 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 28, 2014, 12:25:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2014, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 28, 2014, 12:05:32 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2014, 11:53:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 27, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Predictions anybody?

Yeah I predict that I ll spend 8/9 hours 'driving' on Saturday. Maybe more. I d love to have Sidney along to show him how handy a venue it is ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Operation Barbarossa was a Sunday drive compared this campaign!
latest advice I have from a Limerick man is through Portumna, Nenagh ( bringing Tipperary into the invasion/equation - bit like going through the Ardennes to get around the Maginot Line!) and Killaloe  >:( >:( This guy was on the level.
Of course Killaloe reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygr0V71O61E  but hoping it will be Kerry Martyrs on Saturday :-\
As regards the match, the only prediction I want is yours Farr. - and as negative as possible please. Anything positive and Sidney the Shit Stirrer  will spend the day locked in the back of the jeep in driveway, with the engine running,and the wife searching for the hose to water the hanging baskets.

Is there anybody on here leaving from the Ballina area.What time would you want to be on the road at? I was thinking round 11?

I am.

11 would be fine but what day ;D ;D ;D

There s people talking leaving about 10 around Ballina. Belmullet: 9 would do. Of course if you calculate it on distance you can leave at 1 o clock ( it s only 3 hours to Limerick  after all - right Sid ye p***k ;)) and listen to the game on the radio sitting in traffic. There s nice people on here will be able to tell who s covering it on radio. Could be good craic that.

Cheers Moy i was given the same advice as yourself from a Galway man that works in Limerick every day to head to Portunma and on to Nenagh and go in that way but your on the wrong side of the city for the Gaelic Grounds then.This really is unbelievable slobbering to get to a game.

You head  for Parteen from Killaloe and that will take you up to Thomond, which is as close to Gaelic Grounds as you could hope for. Of course if we all do that we ll create another jam! But if you stay on the N7 into the city from Nenagh .....

The people that thought this was a good idea are gobshites of the highest order. But we ll get through it.

There's a great little shortcut you take when you know traffic will be backed up on the Ennis road (which it will be on Saturday). After Gort, head out the R458 towards Tulla, head out then through Kilkeshin and sixmilebridge and follow that road til it takes you to the old cratloe road and then onto the LIT. Used to knock nearly half an hour off our trips years back when I was in the old LIT!
I heard the Davin Arms is closed I heard so mot sure where the best watering hole for a pre\post match pint would be.

That is a good shortcut from the Clare side alright. Takes the Ennis road out of the equation, and the delays getting off the motorway/dual carraigeway at the toll booth as well. Probably decent parking in LIT too, they always open for the Munster games. 2€ or thereabouts.

The one through Portumna is also a decent bet, but would you not be nearly past the worst of it if you hit Portumna? The motorway from Galway to Limerick is good, especially if you take that sixmilebridge/cratloe exit mentioned above.

If you do come through Portumna, and into Borrisokane/Nenagh you would then get on the M7 at Nenagh and if you like you could get all the way to Jetlands on the Ennis Road vial the tunnel and the toll. But that will probably be busy with Kerry people, because the Motorway in from Adare also allows you to go that way. I can't see many Kerry people heading into town and coming from the City side unless they have tickets there. I'd expect a coming together of traffic at the Thomond Park/Jetlands/Ennis Road areas.

It might be better, if you are coming that way, to just get off the Motorway at Finnegans Roundabout, and head into Castletroy and up to the Parkway, then keep straight ahead (1 o'clock on a clock) and head for town. Park in Charlotte's Quay or any of the City Centre Car Parks and stroll over Sarsfield Bridge and up to the Gaelic Grounds.

The Strand also has an underground Car Park that I use sometimes for Munster games, but if traffic is heavy, Shanks mare from the city centre might be your best bet.

Mayo4Sam

My parents are coming to dublin to get the train down, it'll be quicker
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

StephenC

Loads of Mayo people talking about getting the train from Galway to Limerick.

Sidney

Quote from: Bod Mor on August 28, 2014, 04:21:31 AM

I heard the Davin Arms is closed I heard so mot sure where the best watering hole for a pre\post match pint would be.
The Ardhu is a stone's throw from the stadium but you'd want to start queueing for pints at about 2:00 to have them for 3:30.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 28, 2014, 08:13:52 AM
How many thousand cars will be en route? 6/7k all at the same time? It'll be some nightmare. As for my prediction, with Mayo not knowing what XV are available yet due to Keegan's appeal, and the fact Donaghy cauaed so much pandemonium the last day, I can only see a Kerry win. Mayo players to play well for 25 mins of the game. Kerry by 7. :(
Arra, fair dues to you, Farr. I was starting to get worried that you might actually predict a Mayo win. Now I know we'll bate them hoors back to the Skelligs!"
Mayo for Sam, yeeehaw! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blanketattack

Which terrace is officially the Kerry one and which is the Mayo one? I know they'll be be mixed as well

seafoid

I hope this shite over Limerick does not distract the Mayo players from realising that if they play at their full potential for the 70 minutes they can beat Kerry.

Get into the groove from the throw in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNt4_iLPOH4

Canalman

Have to say this thread has turned into unintentional comedy gold. Guys you are playing in Limerick not the Gobi desert.

Btw Limerick is an absolute gem of a place . Great pubs etc.

Jinxy

God, I'll never forget the time we had to head to the Gobi Desert to play Fermanagh in the qualifiers.
This was before Ulan Bator was bypassed.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Canalman on August 28, 2014, 11:10:49 AM
Have to say this thread has turned into unintentional comedy gold. Guys you are playing in Limerick not the Gobi desert.

Btw Limerick is an absolute gem of a place . Great pubs etc.

I for one hope they survive this 'nightmare' and are in good spirits for the final

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 28, 2014, 11:22:51 AM
God, I'll never forget the time we had to head to the Gobi Desert to play Fermanagh in the qualifiers.
This was before Ulan Bator was bypassed.

You'd never make Limerick with that set up...

Here's a rough idea of what I'll have to spin down the Ennis road on Saturday...fail to prepare...prepare to fail.

screenexile

Jaysus lads you couldn't have made this up if you tried... it gets better and better!!

Quotehttp://www.hoganstand.com/Football/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=223260

Gay pride parade to clash with Kerry-Mayo replay
28 August 2014

The Pride Parade is expected to bring the city to a near standstill.

Considerable traffic congestion is expected in Limerick on Saturday when the city hosts both the All-Ireland SFC semi-final replay between Kerry and Mayo and the biggest gay pride parade ever to take place in Ireland.

GAA supporters have been advised to travel early as the Pride Parade – which is the highlight of Limerick Pride Week – is expected to bring the city to a near standstill. Many streets around the city centre will be closed off to traffic for the parade which gets underway at 2pm – three hours before the eagerly-awaited replay throws in at the nearby Gaelic Grounds.

The anticipated traffic delays will only add to the frustration felt by Mayo fans, in particular, at the GAA's decision to fix the replay for Limerick. Following last Sunday's drawn encounter, the Connacht champions requested that the replay be postponed and held in Croke Park seven days later, but this wasn't entertained by GAA top brass.

GAA headquarters is unavailable this Saturday because it was already committed to hosting an American football college game between the University of Central Florida and Penn State.

For information on traffic arrangements, check out the Limerick GAA website, www.limerick.ie