Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Sidney on August 28, 2014, 01:26:02 PM
There will surely be a novel to be written about the Mayo supporters' long, arduous trek across the barren Plain of the Yews and beyond on Saturday.

I suggest a working title based on John Steinbeck's classic tale of migration out west, "The Sour Grapes of Wrath".

Whether they actually make it to the promised land of California, sorry, Limerick, well, we'll just have to wait and see.
Arra, keep her lit, Sid you're great craic.
You are nearly as good as Mike Sheehy when it comes to smart assery and that's some compliment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Sidney

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 28, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

Yeah, put a plug in it.
Socket to me. Will Mayo operate a two-pin or a three-pin full forward line on Saturday, do you think?

Tubberman

Quote from: Sidney on August 28, 2014, 01:47:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 28, 2014, 01:38:30 PM

Yeah, put a plug in it.
Socket to me. Will Mayo operate a two-pin or a three-pin full forward line on Saturday, do you think?

Will there be any double adaptors in Limerick?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

blanketattack

Anyone buy a ticket on tickets.ie? The site isn't very secure to say the least. They displayed my password in plaintext in the URL. I advise ppl not to store their credit card no. there anyway.

Hardy

Quote from: Bod Mor on August 28, 2014, 04:21:31 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2014, 12:51:23 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 28, 2014, 12:25:02 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2014, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 28, 2014, 12:05:32 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2014, 11:53:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 27, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Predictions anybody?

Yeah I predict that I ll spend 8/9 hours 'driving' on Saturday. Maybe more. I d love to have Sidney along to show him how handy a venue it is ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Operation Barbarossa was a Sunday drive compared this campaign!
latest advice I have from a Limerick man is through Portumna, Nenagh ( bringing Tipperary into the invasion/equation - bit like going through the Ardennes to get around the Maginot Line!) and Killaloe  >:( >:( This guy was on the level.
Of course Killaloe reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygr0V71O61E  but hoping it will be Kerry Martyrs on Saturday :-\
As regards the match, the only prediction I want is yours Farr. - and as negative as possible please. Anything positive and Sidney the Shit Stirrer  will spend the day locked in the back of the jeep in driveway, with the engine running,and the wife searching for the hose to water the hanging baskets.

Is there anybody on here leaving from the Ballina area.What time would you want to be on the road at? I was thinking round 11?

I am.

11 would be fine but what day ;D ;D ;D

There s people talking leaving about 10 around Ballina. Belmullet: 9 would do. Of course if you calculate it on distance you can leave at 1 o clock ( it s only 3 hours to Limerick  after all - right Sid ye p***k ;)) and listen to the game on the radio sitting in traffic. There s nice people on here will be able to tell who s covering it on radio. Could be good craic that.

Cheers Moy i was given the same advice as yourself from a Galway man that works in Limerick every day to head to Portunma and on to Nenagh and go in that way but your on the wrong side of the city for the Gaelic Grounds then.This really is unbelievable slobbering to get to a game.

You head  for Parteen from Killaloe and that will take you up to Thomond, which is as close to Gaelic Grounds as you could hope for. Of course if we all do that we ll create another jam! But if you stay on the N7 into the city from Nenagh .....

The people that thought this was a good idea are gobshites of the highest order. But we ll get through it.

There's a great little shortcut you take when you know traffic will be backed up on the Ennis road (which it will be on Saturday). After Gort, head out the R458 towards Tulla, head out then through Kilkeshin and sixmilebridge and follow that road til it takes you to the old cratloe road and then onto the LIT. Used to knock nearly half an hour off our trips years back when I was in the old LIT!

This man is right.

I heard the Davin Arms is closed I heard so mot sure where the best watering hole for a pre\post match pint would be.

The Davin is closed; Hasset's is closed. The only place within a Muppet/Sidney discussion's length of the pitch we could get a drink a few years ago was a guesthouse a quarter of a mile away towards town on the other side of the Ennis Road. Get there early. The bar holds about 25.

AZOffaly

Ah it's not that bad. There's a few pubs on the Ennis Road back in towards town. The Strand is also a decent place for a pint, but that's a bit further towards the city centre.

Not sure if the Shannon and UL Bohs bars are open in Thomond Park, but that's close too.

drici

Hardy

Quote from: drici on August 28, 2014, 02:43:16 PM

Outrageous!  How come Kerry don't have to go to Galway to get the train to Limerick?

macdanger2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 28, 2014, 01:23:37 PM
Quote from: StephenC on August 28, 2014, 12:58:25 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 28, 2014, 11:42:48 AM
Quote from: StephenC on August 28, 2014, 10:28:39 AM
Loads of Mayo people talking about getting the train from Galway to Limerick.

They may be taking the train from Galway to Limerick, but they more than likely won't be getting the train on the way back as the last train leaves at 18:34!

?? I'd a quick look on Irish rail there and there's later ones.
Yes there is but to where? Most who intend travelling by train will be coming from Dublin.
There is a 20.25 to Galway okay but that's not of much use to the majority of Mayo supporters.
When I checked, the last one to Dublin leaves at 18.50. Either way, it means an overnight stay  for many or a long drive through the night.
Even without the Gay Parade craic, I don't think anyone could make the last train to Dublin unless they left the game before the end.
I accept that some Kerry folk will have a lot of travelling to do also but that's sweet damn all consolation for Mayo fans who have to get there to begin with and then have to face the journey back home.

I checked earlier in the week and there was one at 2050 getting in at 2255, could be sold out??

Mike Sheehy

These Mayo lads will never know what true traffic pain is. Some people went missing after the Clare defeat in '92. It's not clear if it was suicide or whether they are still making their way back through Adare.

theticklemister

Lads what you need to do is start a flying column going and start marching now.

drici

A group of young teens damaged matchgoers' cars at the Gaelic Grounds last Saturday.
Councillor Cormac Hurley described attacks on visitors vehicles as "more than sickening".

"I have been told that there was a gang of between 15 and 20 teens marauding around the place.
"Almost every second car parked along the New Link Road up as far as Brookfield Avenue was damaged.
"Windscreen wipers were ripped off and wing mirrors were broken outside the Girls National School in Caherdavin".

A passer-by told the Limerick Post that car owners were shocked when they returned to done to vehicles.

theticklemister

There ye go the flying column could take them boys out too.

Hound

Quote from: drici on August 28, 2014, 03:29:33 PM
A group of young teens damaged matchgoers' cars at the Gaelic Grounds last Saturday.
Councillor Cormac Hurley described attacks on visitors vehicles as "more than sickening".

"I have been told that there was a gang of between 15 and 20 teens marauding around the place.
"Almost every second car parked along the New Link Road up as far as Brookfield Avenue was damaged.
"Windscreen wipers were ripped off and wing mirrors were broken outside the Girls National School in Caherdavin".

A passer-by told the Limerick Post that car owners were shocked when they returned to done to vehicles.
Councillor Hurley is a Kerryman, who's daughter won Rose of Tralee a few years ago. Any MO car parked in Caherdavin will be clamped!

Mayo Club 51

Quote from: theticklemister on August 28, 2014, 03:17:50 PM
Lads what you need to do is start a flying column going and start marching now.

Lads, flying is looking like becoming an option with all the road works, parades, festivals, charity walks. Check out our latest updates, includes flying options!!

http://mayoclub51.com/we-go-again-and-heres-how-to-get-there/