Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

pavlik will eat him up and spit him out
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Pavlik should never have moved up in weights to fight hopkins and it showed
Adding Muscle Mass is very difficult over a short period of time and when he fought Hopkins, he was over powered and out muscled by the obviously bigger and stronger man - he should learn a valuable lesson from this - like Hatton - stay at your weight!!!!

Duddy for me is extremely over hyped and a puppet being used to empty the pockets of the Irish Americans.  He is definitely not world class from what I have seen of him, he doesn't have a big punch, he is not technically gifted and at times is very reckless choosing to slug it out and prove a point instead on concentrating on his boxing.

Pavlik is too much of a step up in class for him and he is going to get a serious lesson......

The Irish Americans will still love him because he's Irish and took a good beating and is still smiling and the promoters will continue to make money off of him......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

glens73

Quote from: The Iceman on February 25, 2009, 05:13:41 PM
Pavlik should never have moved up in weights to fight hopkins and it showed
Adding Muscle Mass is very difficult over a short period of time and when he fought Hopkins, he was over powered and out muscled by the obviously bigger and stronger man - he should learn a valuable lesson from this - like Hatton - stay at your weight!!!!

Duddy for me is extremely over hyped and a puppet being used to empty the pockets of the Irish Americans.  He is definitely not world class from what I have seen of him, he doesn't have a big punch, he is not technically gifted and at times is very reckless choosing to slug it out and prove a point instead on concentrating on his boxing.

Pavlik is too much of a step up in class for him and he is going to get a serious lesson......

The Irish Americans will still love him because he's Irish and took a good beating and is still smiling and the promoters will continue to make money off of him......

I'd agree with your assessment of Duddy, but as for Pavlik being beaten by Hopkins being down to not being big enough. I personally don't think so, Hopkins was far too savvy for him and proved himself to be on another level. Pavlik fights in straight lines and any stylish boxer will trouble him. I'd like to see Arthur Abraham fight Pavlik.

whiskeysteve

The point about mass is probably true and im sure it might have affected Pavliks game but the point that Glens made is true. The victory for Hopkins was more down to experience and boxing skill. All through the fight bhop beat him to the punch and generally had pavlik completely confused and exposed as 1dimensional. Speed, skill, experience rather than power. Put it like this, if Pavlik had the right muscle mass for YEARS before that fight he wouldnt have beat Hopkins that night (assuming all other factors were the same)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Rav67

Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 25, 2009, 07:48:42 PM
The point about mass is probably true and im sure it might have affected Pavliks game but the point that Glens made is true. The victory for Hopkins was more down to experience and boxing skill. All through the fight bhop beat him to the punch and generally had pavlik completely confused and exposed as 1dimensional. Speed, skill, experience rather than power. Put it like this, if Pavlik had the right muscle mass for YEARS before that fight he wouldnt have beat Hopkins that night (assuming all other factors were the same)

Probably true, but Pavlik put on 10lb for that fight and he hadn't moved up weights before- it was just too much of a jump.  Perhaps 167lb would have been a fairer compromise between the 2 fighters.

Disagree with Iceman though saying you should stay at your weight- to be considered great a boxer has to be prepared to move within reason to take the best fights.  People who used Hatton's weight as an excuse for him getting slaughtered by Mayweather at welterweight generally omitted to mention the fact that PBF was fighting at lower weights than Hatton for most of his career.  World class boxers, properly managed, should be able to move divisions and be successful.

The Iceman

Quote from: Rav67 on February 26, 2009, 12:26:19 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on February 25, 2009, 07:48:42 PM

Probably true, but Pavlik put on 10lb for that fight and he hadn't moved up weights before- it was just too much of a jump.  Perhaps 167lb would have been a fairer compromise between the 2 fighters.

Disagree with Iceman though saying you should stay at your weight- to be considered great a boxer has to be prepared to move within reason to take the best fights.  People who used Hatton's weight as an excuse for him getting slaughtered by Mayweather at welterweight generally omitted to mention the fact that PBF was fighting at lower weights than Hatton for most of his career.  World class boxers, properly managed, should be able to move divisions and be successful.

I didn't say that all boxers should stay at their weight.  But Pavlik and Hatton definitely should have stayed at their ideal weight.
So tell me what proper management has to do with being successful in other divisions.....
Proper management in that they only fight 2nd rate fighters in that division and therefore get win?

In order to move between divisions you first need the genetics - you need the frame, the size, the legs and the ability to put on "good" weight in a timely manner without losing your speed, agility and hopefully increasing your power. You need the boxing ability and most fighters who succeed in other divisions are technical fighters although as always there are exceptions to this.  Few fighters were able to do this but those that did will always be remembered as great and PFP contenders in their respective eras.
Thats my two cents anyway

Doogie Browser

There was a good interview with Gerry Storey in the Sunday Times Sport last week if anyone could post up a link, very intertesting article about him and the Holy Family gym.

The Corporal

Any thoughts on the upcoming Rogan v Skelton fight?

Doogie Browser

Rogie was showing off his new beamer on newsline last night, said it was a gift from Audley Harrison!

Gaffer

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 26, 2009, 01:57:39 PM
Rogie was showing off his new beamer on newsline last night, said it was a gift from Audley Harrison!

Think he was being sarcastic !!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

behind the wire

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 26, 2009, 01:51:53 PM
There was a good interview with Gerry Storey in the Sunday Times Sport last week if anyone could post up a link, very intertesting article about him and the Holy Family gym.

i saw that in the times on sunday. it was a very good interview. i would love to know how much of it is true though, some of it sounded a bit far fetched, but it was definitely obvious that storey didnt take sides at all when dealing with boxing.

where can the rogan fight be watched on tv?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Doogie Browser

Quote from: behind the wire on February 26, 2009, 05:14:00 PM

i saw that in the times on sunday. it was a very good interview. i would love to know how much of it is true though, some of it sounded a bit far fetched, but it was definitely obvious that storey didnt take sides at all when dealing with boxing.

No doubt about it!  Apparently the rioting and shooting stopped every time Gerry walked up the Falls or Shankill  ::), he is hardly Del Boy outside Nelson Mandela House!!

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Gaffer on February 26, 2009, 05:07:27 PM

Sorry gaffer, use of explanation mark denotes my employment of sarcasm too!!!!!  ::)

Gaffer

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 26, 2009, 05:19:52 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on February 26, 2009, 05:07:27 PM

Sorry gaffer, use of explanation mark denotes my employment of sarcasm too!!!!!  ::)

It was a nice motor too. God help the first drunken customer who spews all over the back seat.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

tyroneboi

Quote from: behind the wire on February 26, 2009, 05:14:00 PM

Think the fight is on sky sports on saturday night. Its on the same bill as the couple of British Olympians including James DeGale who seems to be a bit of a p***k!