Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: its me again on December 11, 2008, 09:48:37 AM
would any where in newry be offering odds on the McKay fight???

does he have a chance?

Probably Banbridge bookies I would imagine. A lot of online bookies doing it. One of his biggest problems is his fitness levels, but he is in the best shape now. He will be going very offensive I would imagine, maybe worth a small punt.

The Iceman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 11, 2008, 09:20:20 AM
Davis was a top ten boxer where?  In his state or the world?  I would say he was a decent boxer in Boston but that was about it. 
Davis had a boxing record of 17-1-2 and was considering a top ten fighter but not recognised by any of the organizations in the top ten - so my mistake for referencing that.
There is nothing official about FMW training in MMA but there has been talk that he tried at Xtreme Couture and could not hang with anyone there in his weight class.

At the end of the day MMA has evolved so much that a boxer, even one with the skill level of FMW, would never make it with the top contenders or even guys who dominate the smaller promotions. 
I've seen it loads of times.  A great boxer street fighting or in the ring will clean up - but then someone pulls a double leg takedown on him and elbows him in the face from the top or puts him to sleep with a choke it is a different story.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

cavan4ever

Seen Brock Lesnar on that program on UFC/MMA last nite. That was some hammering he gave to the other guy.

Rav67

Quote from: cavan4ever on December 11, 2008, 03:58:34 PM
Seen Brock Lesnar on that program on UFC/MMA last nite. That was some hammering he gave to the other guy.

I remember when he left wrestlin to go for a career in American football, I take it he didn't go too far

mattockranger

yeah he just fought with everyone there!!

think that was his inspiration!!

will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Rav67

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on December 11, 2008, 10:49:48 PM
Just watching the replay Oscar DLH vs Pacman fight on Sky Sports, why on earth did that fight go on so long??  what a hammering DLH took, you would have be safer being knocked out with one big punch as it would have hurt less than the volume of blows to the body and face as Oscar took!!

Roll on the Hitman vs Pacman..one to look forward to.

Anyone see season ticket last night focusing on the UFC or MMA.  What is boxing fans thoughts of this sport?  give me a boxing match any day over it.  What does everyone else think?   

That fight certainly could have been stopped sooner, I expected the towel to be thrown in around the 7th or 8th.  DLH should quit now, he's gonna keep earning megabucks anyway from Golden Boy and there's no point risking his mental health especially when he's such a smart man.

Boxing is a far far superior sport.  I don't watch the UFC at all, and wouldn't want to go to an event because there seems to be an awful lot of scumbags who follow it.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rav67 on December 11, 2008, 11:23:31 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on December 11, 2008, 10:49:48 PM
Just watching the replay Oscar DLH vs Pacman fight on Sky Sports, why on earth did that fight go on so long??  what a hammering DLH took, you would have be safer being knocked out with one big punch as it would have hurt less than the volume of blows to the body and face as Oscar took!!

Roll on the Hitman vs Pacman..one to look forward to.

Anyone see season ticket last night focusing on the UFC or MMA.  What is boxing fans thoughts of this sport?  give me a boxing match any day over it.  What does everyone else think?   

That fight certainly could have been stopped sooner, I expected the towel to be thrown in around the 7th or 8th.  DLH should quit now, he's gonna keep earning megabucks anyway from Golden Boy and there's no point risking his mental health especially when he's such a smart man.

Boxing is a far far superior sport.  I don't watch the UFC at all, and wouldn't want to go to an event because there seems to be an awful lot of scumbags who follow it.

As far as I am aware there has never been a riot at a UFC event but there's been plenty of riots at boxing events. Plus looking at your average Bernard Dunne crowd I would hardly describe them as urbane sophisticates.

At the end of the day the make-up of both audiences is very similiar in the states. Except that boxing attracts more Latinos and older people while the UFC audience is generally younger.

The Iceman

Quote from: Rav67 on December 11, 2008, 11:23:31 PM

That is a bit of a ridiculous statement - I don't watch the UFC at all but boxing is a far far superior sport?

Are there no scumbags at a boxing event?

Give us reasons Rav67 not just empty statements please............
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rav67

Anecdotal evidence from people I work with who have attended events- chav types in the front row shouting abuse constantly at the fighters calling them wankers etc when they're entering and leaving.  Maybe it's not the same in America.

IMO boxing is more skilful and maybe if I was more bloodthirsty I'd like UFC.  I have watched it before, I just can't get into it but like all sports some people like or rate it and others don;t.

Doogie Browser

Joe Brolly's article in this weeks Gaelic Life had a boxing/Dungiven theme (much intertwined I would say  ;)) and was as usual very entertaining, if someone could post it for others it is good craic.

full back

Quote from: Rav67 on December 14, 2008, 04:46:41 PM
IMO boxing is more skilful

I know it is your opinion Rav, but you must know very little about UFC to say this.......

mattockranger

i agree full back with more disciplines there is no argument on skill levels between the two sports
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Hound

I used to be a huge boxing fan, subscribing to magazines, keeping an eye on most weight divisions etc. The politics started to annoy me, so many different champions, some of whom getting huge money and publicity and yet dodging any of the really top fighters. But it was the dodgy decisions that finally turned me off. Now I'll watch the odd fight and enjoy it, but I dont get into it, don't care who wins or who deserves to win.

I've watched a bit of UFC. More action than your average boxing match, and seems to be far less predictable. No doubt its very skillful, but also more violent. Relies on the individual to submit rather than the ref to intervene, which is a huge difference. A few times you will see a guy take more punishment than feels right.

But boxing still has the ace of the clean punch that results in a knockout or knockdown. Of course you can get that in UFC, but more often its likely to be a clench on the ground that is key.

lynchbhoy

if anyone saw the klitchko fight against rahman, the big man was unbelieveable.
What a left jab.
He destroyed rahman. He doesnt have to throw the right paw at all, his left is like a sledgehamer.

Was actually a wonderful display to watch imo - of pure crude power and accurate hitting at its best !

Hound

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 15, 2008, 12:48:17 PM
if anyone saw the klitchko fight against rahman, the big man was unbelieveable.
What a left jab.
He destroyed rahman. He doesnt have to throw the right paw at all, his left is like a sledgehamer.

Was actually a wonderful display to watch imo - of pure crude power and accurate hitting at its best !

Indeed Klitschko was impressive, but Audley Harrison would give Rahman trouble.