gerry

good man joe, now i can go to sleep
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tyrones own

116 to 111............. Don't think so :o

No harm to Joe and i'm glad to see him win that but i was far from impressed,
Based on that performance either Roy Jones or Pavlik'll hardly be troubled imo
sure jaysus Hopkins is what, 43?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

tyroneboi

COME ON JOE!!!!!!!!

Dont know how he managed that thought Hopkins had it!

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Rav67

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 20, 2008, 04:13:03 AM
116 to 111............. Don't think so :o

Exactly what I was thinking, that could've been scored either way for me.  I'd rather see Calzaghe fight Pavlik (if Pavlik is prepared to step up in weight) next than Roy Jones Jr, that would be a great match-up.

Yer Ma

I thought the right man won, it would have been an injustice if Hopkins had got the verdict based on the odd right hand and a lot of holding and headwork.

Hopkins deliberately stalled the action when he was on his last legs in the 10th as well.

Calzaghe is obviously not in his prime anymore, but he still does enough to win fights.

bridgegael

calzaghe got the right decision i think,  he was the agressor and all hopkins was interested in was holding and using the head.  the first round knockout made this fight closer than what it should have been.  you have to wonder how one judge could have hopkins winning by a point and one have calzaghe winnig by 5, thats a massive difference.   i expect hopkins to take up the acting now after the 'low blow' in the tenth.

like a few people said here i'd rarther see cal-pavlik fight than a match with roy jones jr,  but as you know money talks!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Rav67

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 20, 2008, 04:13:03 AM
No harm to Joe and i'm glad to see him win that but i was far from impressed,
Based on that performance either Roy Jones or Pavlik'll hardly be troubled imo
sure jaysus Hopkins is what, 43?

Its difficult to look good against Hopkins though, Taylor never even got lavish praise for beating him twice a few years back when he was top pound-for-pound as the wins didn't seem convincing but that's just the nature of his style. 

Jones Jr is a shot fighter who wouldn't trouble Calzaghe, Pavlik on the other hand.... well Pavlik would certainly have to step up in weight for it so that might prove difficult for him, I'm not sure he would actually want to take the fight as he's only 25 and has plenty of years for more "career-defining" fights and will probably be happy defending his position as undisputed middleweight against all contenders in the next couple of years.

magpie seanie

Forgive the lack of boxing knowledge but thought this worth a mention. Was in the boozer Friday night and the boxing was on the telly. English Heavyweight title fight was on featuring a really well built, muscular black guy against a flabby milky skinned guy called McDermott. We were all paying it very litte attention but laughing at the beating the fatso was about to get. It started predictably - fitter looking guy picking McDermott off and moving well. Then all of a sudden McDermott found his range and absolutely clattered him a few times. And then proceeded to batter the head off yer man until the ref stopped it! Unreal. We'd have all lost a few quid if bets were taken.

AZOffaly

I was watching that fight as well Seanie, McDermott looked as if was afraid of his life at the start, not in a cowardly way, but in terms of what he thought the other lads had. I think the other lad was Pele something, and he was an ex-kick boxer. The commentators were saying he had a dodgy chin though, and as soon as McDermott realised he had nothing to worry about, and that he could hurt him with every punch he went to town.

Did ye see the knockout in the fight before that? Ryan something, a 33 year old, beat the reigning British champion. He hit him an awful box on the temple and your mans legs went completely from under him. Quite scary actually.

magpie seanie

Yeah, say that alright now that you mention it. A bit frightening surely. There was another fight with a guy getting split by a headbutt too - blood everywhere! And if I'm correct the guy who headbutted won?

AZOffaly

Yeah, that was the latest British 'sensation', Ajose Olusegun (I had to look it up, don't worry :D), who beat Spitko. I don't think it was a 'headbutt' as such, but it was an awful clash. The cut was way up on the top of Spitko's head/high forehead. It was an awful bleeder though, and it looked really bad.

Naseem Hamed has eaten some food since he finished up. He was ringside at that fight I was talking about, and he looked like someone had inflated his head. Physically, rather than the erstwhile mentally :D

bennydorano

Watching the fight at the time, I was pretty sure that Hopkins had won.  Hopkins did try every dirty trick in the book. Delighted for Calzaghe, Roy Jones on November 15th in Cardiff seems to be very likely.

If it had've been in Hopkin's prime it would have been a massacre.

magpie seanie

Yeah, Naseem certainly has partaken in a fair few pies since he was in the ring.