BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 07:49:38 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 06:39:44 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 06:38:14 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 06:35:00 PM
Quote from: Thebigdog on July 07, 2018, 12:39:00 AM
One of my favourite Tyrone players of the noughties Enda McGinley. Thankfully after so much faith in what Harte has been doing in Tyrone the penny has finally dropped with him also. Think I'd rather tune into the world cup tomorrow. As for Tyrone the iceberg is straight ahead but the question is when will it hit.

3-20 isn't bad for for a defensive team. Has anyone seen that iceberg??

It's right ahead. Tyrone played well but worst Cork team in living memory

Maybe but it didn't stop people calling Kerry the next big thing after a similar hammering.
they've been calling Kerry the next big thing for last few years with their minors winning 4-in-a-row All Irelands not for hammering that Cork team. Next few weeks will tell. Shocking to see Cork so poor whether against Tyrone or Kerry.

Exactly and Tyrone did what the free flowing Kerry forward line did to them even though they have 4 years worth of All Ireland minor talent at their disposal. (Note: Cork were chronic though)

Bit of a stalemate this: results said more about Cork that Tyrone or Kerry. Most teams would hammer them.

I agree. My comparisons to Kerry were a little tongue in cheek.
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 07:51:49 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 07:49:38 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 06:45:44 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2018, 06:39:44 PM
Quote from: longballin on July 07, 2018, 06:38:14 PM
One of my favourite Tyrone players of the noughties Enda McGinley. Thankfully after so much faith in what Harte has been doing in Tyrone the penny has finally dropped with him also. Think I'd rather tune into the world cup tomorrow. As for Tyrone the iceberg is straight ahead but the question is when will it hit.

It's right ahead. Tyrone played well but worst Cork team in living memory

Maybe but it didn't stop people calling Kerry the next big thing after a similar hammering.
they've been calling Kerry the next big thing for last few years with their minors winning 4-in-a-row All Irelands not for hammering that Cork team. Next few weeks will tell. Shocking to see Cork so poor whether against Tyrone or Kerry.

Exactly and Tyrone did what the free flowing Kerry forward line did to them even though they have 4 years worth of All Ireland minor talent at their disposal. (Note: Cork were chronic though)

Bit of a stalemate this: results said more about Cork that Tyrone or Kerry. Most teams would hammer them.

I agree. My comparisons to Kerry were a little tongue in cheek.

Fair enough  8)

Thebigdog

IL never be happy with the 'Harte situation' in Tyrone but cut me open and red an white blood will flow. Bring on the Super 8s.

southtyronegael

yup now we will see if tyrone have progressed or regressed.

redzone

14th time in 18years that Tyrone have made the 1/4 finals
Only Dublin 17 and Kerry 18 have better records. Source Declan bogue
Thats some going. Like him or hate him you have to admit he's one of the best ever

skeog

God14

Quiet enough on here in terms of analysis and bits of insight from yesterday
Watched the game back again (it's on YouTube)
What's everyone's thoughts on Hampsey in midfield, wouldnt have anticipated that last week?
Think Richie Donnelly growing into his role at 14. Morgan fully justified his return to the starting 15. There have been a few positional and tactical tweeks through the qualifiers, and we are on an upward incline in terms of performance. Can't help but think Lee Brennan injured at the worst possible time.
We must improve to go further but I genuinely think we are better placed than this time 12months ago, with considerably less hype and expectations.

BennyHarp

Quote from: God14 on July 08, 2018, 04:46:37 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on Hampsey in midfield, wouldnt have anticipated that last week?
Think Richie Donnelly growing into his role at 14. Morgan fully justified his return to the starting 15. There have been a few positional and tactical tweeks through the qualifiers, and we are on an upward incline in terms of performance. Can't help but think Lee Brennan injured at the worst possible time.
We must improve to go further but I genuinely think we are better placed than this time 12months ago, with considerably less hype and expectations.

For the first time yesterday he started to show convincingly in front of his man for the ball and I liked the way he was turning and getting a shot away quickly. Yes, he missed a few but he's definitely worth persevering with in there as a focal point for the attack.
That was never a square ball!!

Baggio90

Hampsey did fine there but I think he's better served back in the full back line with the likes of McClure or McNulty starting. Richie Donnelly did well again, sometimes I feel he lacks the place required to win the ball out in front but he's a nice ball player and played a few intelligent passes and will always put a good shift in.

McShane as usual mixed the good with the ridiculous, he will give you a very good shift and never hides but his decision making is erratic so say the least. The management team really need to take him one side and work on this if they're not already.

I'd like to see just the one change next week, I'd start McClure in midfield and leave out young McKernan. I think McKernan has been excellent in his first season but I'd like to see him coming into the game later on and injecting some energy. Roscommon and very weak around the middle of the pitch and McClure is a good fielder.

It's difficult to critically appraise yesterday's performance, we looked well on the face of it but how much of that was to do with Cork. We pressed the kickouts very well and should be doing the same against Roscommon with their keeper a real weak link.

Bradley looked sharp and it gives us an extra kick off the bench along with Ronan O'Neill looking sharper and more confident in recent weeks.

Petey Harte far more involved as well after a quiet season to date. If we replicate our 2nd half performance tomorrow we should win very comfortably.

RedHand88

It wouldn't last long in thon heat.

redzone

Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 05:08:20 PM

Hampsey did fine there but I think he's better served back in the full back line with the likes of McClure or McNulty starting. Richie Donnelly did well again, sometimes I feel he lacks the place required to win the ball out in front but he's a nice ball player and played a few intelligent passes and will always put a good shift in.

McShane as usual mixed the good with the ridiculous, he will give you a very good shift and never hides but his decision making is erratic so say the least. The management team really need to take him one side and work on this if they're not already.

I'd like to see just the one change next week, I'd start McClure in midfield and leave out young McKernan. I think McKernan has been excellent in his first season but I'd like to see him coming into the game later on and injecting some energy. Roscommon and very weak around the middle of the pitch and McClure is a good fielder.

It's difficult to critically appraise yesterday's performance, we looked well on the face of it but how much of that was to do with Cork. We pressed the kickouts very well and should be doing the same against Roscommon with their keeper a real weak link.

Bradley looked sharp and it gives us an extra kick off the bench along with Ronan O'Neill looking sharper and more confident in recent weeks.

Petey Harte far more involved as well after a quiet season to date. If we replicate our 2nd half performance tomorrow we should win very comfortably.

Hampsey isn't the answer in midfield I don't think but how you call for McClure to start after his performances this year I don't get. He's completely out of form. In fairness u got the call right about frank going to centre back. I thought mckerrnan more than justified his starting berth. It's probably to late in the year to try mcnamme at midfield but he's being brilliant for agyharn there. Ronan oneill showing his worth as well but he has to accept a subs role

Baggio90

Quote from: redzone on July 08, 2018, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: Baggio90 on July 08, 2018, 05:08:20 PM

Hampsey isn't the answer in midfield I don't think but how you call for McClure to start after his performances this year I don't get. He's completely out of form. In fairness u got the call right about frank going to centre back. I thought mckerrnan more than justified his starting berth. It's probably to late in the year to try mcnamme at midfield but he's being brilliant for agyharn there. Ronan oneill showing his worth as well but he has to accept a subs role

McClure is a natural midfielder though and I think we'll have some dangerous forwards to mark in the Super 8s so can't afford to have Hampsey there.

If you look at the other options for midfield, who would you go for? We're not exactly crawling with in form midfielders to partner Colm Cavanagh.

GetOverTheBar

Tyrone have got to where most realistic people thought they would. Cork offered little issues, they have badly fallen by the wayside in footballing terms unfortunately - however Tyrone will have expended little energy getting past them which will be a massive positive.

Now we'll see just what this team is made of. Has it improved? Has it regressed - further? AI Quarter Finals are the benchmark of serious teams, the Super 8s offer the chance over three games for teams to battle out for Semi's without excuses, anything can happen in a one off, over three games now you'll see just who the best teams are. Not enough points, you don't deserve to be in the All Ireland Semis.

I don't expect Tyrone to get out of the group to be honest, obviously Dublin will run away with it likely with 3 wins. Leaving the other 3 teams in a race to get 4 points. Can't see Tyrone getting anything out of Ballybofey but could see them beating Roscommon which would leave Donegal presumably as the other qualifier.

Would that be what most people think the group stage has in store? McBrearty is a massive loss to Donegal but with the game being away, I just fear for Tyrone there at a ground they've had big issues with.

All in all, going out of the Super 8s at this stage wouldn't be a surprise - however it will be the performances during the next phase that will really dictate how Tyrone are viewed from here.

Jayop

I'm a little more optimistic than yourself GOTB but that's always been my downfall. I think we can beat Donegal in Ballybofey and the Rossies in Croker. If we beat the Rossies then there's a fortnight to recuperate after the Dublin game to look at Donegal. McBrearty is a huge loss to them just at a time when we're starting to see forwards get back to fitness.

I think we've played some good football this year. Finished 4th in the league while Donegal got relegated. I didn't watch the Galway game but I think we were caught by an early goal that day and had a sending of iirc and still only lost narrowly below. Beat Donegal handy, hammered Mayo and a good win over Kerry. I'm struggling to remember an awful lot about the monaghan game now but I think we were well in control but they had a purple patch either side of half time that won them the game. After that we've been on the road and have had the variety of challenges that should stand to us. The Meath game in particular is one that springs to mind. That was a game we could easily have lost but had the fortitude and fight to come back.

Donegal have been getting serious plaudits this year but what have they played? Derry, Cavan, Down and Fermanagh. I know they came from the prelim but that has to be the handiest Ulster in memory. That said they've hammered them all with an average score of 2-19 in each game. Paddy scored 19 points in those games but in fairness Murphy kicked 17 points and McHugh has a few goals and points. 

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Jayop on July 09, 2018, 05:07:30 PM
I'm a little more optimistic than yourself GOTB but that's always been my downfall. I think we can beat Donegal in Ballybofey and the Rossies in Croker. If we beat the Rossies then there's a fortnight to recuperate after the Dublin game to look at Donegal. McBrearty is a huge loss to them just at a time when we're starting to see forwards get back to fitness.

I think we've played some good football this year. Finished 4th in the league while Donegal got relegated. I didn't watch the Galway game but I think we were caught by an early goal that day and had a sending of iirc and still only lost narrowly below. Beat Donegal handy, hammered Mayo and a good win over Kerry. I'm struggling to remember an awful lot about the monaghan game now but I think we were well in control but they had a purple patch either side of half time that won them the game. After that we've been on the road and have had the variety of challenges that should stand to us. The Meath game in particular is one that springs to mind. That was a game we could easily have lost but had the fortitude and fight to come back.

Donegal have been getting serious plaudits this year but what have they played? Derry, Cavan, Down and Fermanagh. I know they came from the prelim but that has to be the handiest Ulster in memory. That said they've hammered them all with an average score of 2-19 in each game. Paddy scored 19 points in those games but in fairness Murphy kicked 17 points and McHugh has a few goals and points.

I agree that people have been getting carried away with Donegal. They have played nobody of note so far. Cavan were terrible in the first round. Down are a shambles at the minute. Derry are a shambles at the minute, will be Division 4 next year and Donegal weren't convincing against them. And in the final after Donegal's early goal Fermanagh's game plan went out the window and the game was over.

Don't get me wrong Donegal have played well so far but I don't think their level of opposition to date has been factored into the analysis of them (much the same as it was for Tyrone pre-Dublin last year) and when you add in the fact they got relegated from Division 1 this year and that McBrearty is out for the season, I would be quietly confident of beating them.

Regardless of all this, I think the Dublin games will have a huge bearing on our Super 8 group this year. Although I expect Dublin to win all three, if they go out and hammer Donegal or Tyrone in the first or second game it could be a big task for management to regroup thereafter. Whereas if someone was able to run them close and make a game of it then it would be a great confidence booster for the games ahead. This being said, it's a great advantage for Tyrone to face them at home.