ARLES KILCRUISE and ARLES KILEEN

Started by Unlaoised, October 05, 2016, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monument Road

St Josephs are a one parish team ...they are the living proof of how three junior clubs from in one parish joined to form st Josephs..,.the rest is history...

Ballyroan Abbey

Id consider them to be the greatest underachievers in laois considering the size of the area and the players they have had

Downtheroad

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 14, 2016, 12:49:55 AM
Id consider them to be the greatest underachievers in laois considering the size of the area and the players they have had
I take it you mean St Josephs are underachievers. I have to take issue with that considering the number of titles they have won. While geographically, it's a big area, it is sparsely enough populated.

Don Draper

Agreed with that, Josephs is a huge area, but with absolutely nothing for large areas. I also believe they have suffered worse than many clubs as a result of emigration over the past 10 years or so.

Ballyroan Abbey

How many titles have they won in the last 20 years? 2, havnt won one since 2000, look at the players they had higgins, tom kelly, steven kelly, colm kelly, noel garvan,  its not even that they were stacked in defense or attack they had marquee players in every line of the pitch, ill concede perhaps that they have done ok overall since they were founded but in these last 20 years they should of done much better.

The Monument Road

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on October 14, 2016, 11:37:25 AM
How many titles have they won in the last 20 years? 2, havnt won one since 2000, look at the players they had higgins, tom kelly, steven kelly, colm kelly, noel garvan,  its not even that they were stacked in defense or attack they had marquee players in every line of the pitch, ill concede perhaps that they have done ok overall since they were founded but in these last 20 years they should of done much better.
Agree those past 20 years have been barren time for them although i think it may be 3 they have won.A lot of senior clubs would be happy with just one in that time. In saying that they lost Steven Kelly at 28, Tom at 30, Colm at 26 and Higgins at 32 all through serious injuries plus the a host of players through imigration so you could discount 10 of those 20 years. 

the sash

Think  joseph's will be there or thereabouts in d next few years. They've won too many u21 championships in d last 7 or 8 years not to be contesting. Wouldn't it be good to see a parish type championship introduced early in the year n use it as the Kelly cup

Pat Spillall

I still think Crettyard are the only parish team in Laois on the football side. St Josephs have Barrowhouse, an intermediate Club, in their parish. Ballyroan Abbey have Abbeyleix Hurling Club but not all Ballyroan hurlers play with Abbeyleix but I do suppose all the footballers in the parish play with the one club.
I agree fully with what Ballyroan Abbey said, what makes the GAA so special is our club set up, you are born into your club, it chooses you, you don't choose it, it is pride of place and of who you are. A lot of posters here fail to understand that, they look at the GAA through English Premiership Sky Sports eyes where you can jump from Billy to Jack, wipe out a hundred years of tradition just to make a better spectacle for themselves.

SCFC

Barrowhouse is a different parish to Josephs. It's actually part of Athy parish.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Pat Spillall on October 15, 2016, 10:13:54 AM
I still think Crettyard are the only parish team in Laois on the football side. St Josephs have Barrowhouse, an intermediate Club, in their parish. Ballyroan Abbey have Abbeyleix Hurling Club but not all Ballyroan hurlers play with Abbeyleix but I do suppose all the footballers in the parish play with the one club.
I agree fully with what Ballyroan Abbey said, what makes the GAA so special is our club set up, you are born into your club, it chooses you, you don't choose it, it is pride of place and of who you are. A lot of posters here fail to understand that, they look at the GAA through English Premiership Sky Sports eyes where you can jump from Billy to Jack, wipe out a hundred years of tradition just to make a better spectacle for themselves.

I think there is a happy medium in between
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

The Monument Road

Quote from: SCFC on October 15, 2016, 11:35:51 AM
Barrowhouse is a different parish to Josephs. It's actually part of Athy parish.
correct...Barrow house is in athy parish. A few players from lower ballyadams have traditionally played with Barrowhouse for years.one family in particular. Josephs is soley ballyadams.luggaccurren.wolfhill and the Swan. One parish/one team...Barrow house and joey's play together at juvenile level up to u21. ..

Joeythelips

Every player loves their club, pretty normal but there was an Arles club which split over very little it would seem, but thats what happened unfortunately. The people who suffer long term in my opinion are the players and Laois supporters. The reason for this is the same argument people make for having regional teams similar to the kerry modal in that the standards are raised.

Imagine how good an Arles team could have been over the past 10 years, I doubt Portlaoise would have been as dominant in fact Arles would have had one of the best club teams in the country and may have challenged for All Ireland honours. The competition just to make the team would have made their training super competitive with a decent conveyor belt of talent similar to what Portlaoise have. Portlaoise would have benefited from this also, as plenty of teams they are not fully tested in Laois before going onto the Leinster championship, they would have to up their game against a combined Arles teams with the talent they had.

This model would only work if everyone buys into the idea, you cant force it joining two clubs together and saying right we are one club but it would definitely improve the standard in the county if it was applied and everyone took it seriously. 

The Rover

Quote from: the sash on October 14, 2016, 11:06:27 PM
Think  joseph's will be there or thereabouts in d next few years. They've won too many u21 championships in d last 7 or 8 years not to be contesting. Wouldn't it be good to see a parish type championship introduced early in the year n use it as the Kelly cup

St. Josephs are one club that never ever let the county down, just look at the players they have provided to wear the Laois jersey each and every one of them gave great service five or six families up there that have pure laois blood in the vains. A proud club that will rise again maybe sooner than you think.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: The Rover on October 16, 2016, 07:55:29 PM

St. Josephs are one club that never ever let the county down, just look at the players they have provided to wear the Laois jersey each and every one of them gave great service five or six families up there that have pure laois blood in the vains. A proud club that will rise again maybe sooner than you think.

I'd second that.
Great club, great facilities, great people. Always seem to conduct their business in the right way. And as alluded to above, some of their best ever players were probably "wrecked" by the commitment they gave to Laois from circa 2000 to circa 2007. The club lost out on the twilight years of these guys.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 16, 2016, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: The Rover on October 16, 2016, 07:55:29 PM

I'd second that.
Great club, great facilities, great people. Always seem to conduct their business in the right way. And as alluded to above, some of their best ever players were probably "wrecked" by the commitment they gave to Laois from circa 2000 to circa 2007. The club lost out on the twilight years of these guys.
While I agree in general, they were involved in that relegation c**k up a few years back.